Lifetime Red Carpet

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was curious how many other lifetime members there are to the Red Carpet Club (other than 2MM). My dad is one and said he joined up for only a few hundred dollars a long time ago (probably before I was born).

Over the years, they have hassled him about not wanting to honor it; there was about a 2 year period where they demanded he have a new card, but then they'd never mail him one. Now of course everything is tracked by boarding pass.

Anyone know what year that was even offered? Or lifetime anything from United for that matter?

2. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    HNL is one RCC that still demands a card, while complaining that most other RCCs are doing it the wrong way, seeming to me at least like the mother watching the marching band who proudly exclaimed "Everybody's out of step but my boy." [​IMG]

Pat89339 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check out this old (1982) article, it talks about lifetime membership prices to several lounges.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1982/10/10/t...-so-exclusive-vip-lounges.html?pagewanted=all

When United Airlines started its Red Carpet Club in the early 1970's a lifetime membership was $300. Now it is $900.

• Admirals Club (American Airlines) Fee: $40 initiation fee plus $60 a year or $750 for a lifetime membership. Persons 60 and over may obtain a lifetime membership for $300.
    • Ambassadors Club (Trans World Airlines)Fee: $25 initiation fee plus $45 a year or $600 for a lifetime membership. A membership card for a spouse is $30 a year or $150 for lifetime membership.
    • Clipper Club (Pan American World Airways).Fee: $25 initiation fee plus $65 a year or $175 for three years. A membership card for a spouse is $20 a year or $50 for three years. Lifetime memberships are available upon payment of a $75 initiation fee plus $650 ($150 more for a spouse). Persons 60 and over may obtain a lifetime membership upon payment of a $25 initiation fee and $390 ($100 more for a spouse). For corporations buying at least 10 memberships, the charge is $55 a year for each member, and the initiation fee is waived.
    • Presidents Club (Continental Airlines).Fee: $40 initiation fee plus $50 a year (a card for a spouse included). Lifetime membership is $500, including initiation fee.
    • Red Carpet Club (United Airlines).Fee: $50 initiation fee plus $60 a year. A membership card for a spouse is $20 a year. Lifetime memberships are available for $900 ($300 for spouse).

cova, mikeef, Travelsavant and 3 others like this.
  4. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    ''No soap,'' said Merle Richman, a public relations spokesman for Pan American World Airways, when asked the number of people who belong to Pan Am's Clipper Club. ''I can't reveal the number,'' he said.

No soap? That sounds like a line out of a 1930s detective novel. [​IMG]

5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did any of the airlines that went belly up get their cards honored by other "acquiring" airlines, like TWA to AA? I am curious if there was actually any risk in the lifetime membership besides you not living long enough to actually get your moneys worth.

6. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It drives me batty. This is one of my home airports and they know me by name. They still want to see the card!

7. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I must look extra trustworthy or something. :D
    I've been in and out of there ~5 times in the past 6 months, and never once had to show my card.

8. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My father was a lifetime member of Eastern's Ionosphere Club. (Those were the days!!!) CO offered Ionosphere Club lifetime members the ability to buy a PC lifetime membership for a "small fee," but the offer was only good for a short period of time. (I don't know what the fee was.) Now he wishes he had, because his US Club membership is probably costing him more per year now than what the "small fee" would have cost him 20 years ago.

I actually bought a lifetime PC membership last June, right before the prices went up. It should pay off in another 14 years (at today's annual membership rates). [​IMG] I suspect that once the RCC and PC morphs into the United Club (or whatever they decided to call it), the lifetime memberships of both airlines' lounges will be honored.

9. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is Lifetime RCC or PC membership still available? I think I just paid $350 to renew RCC membership, and have probably spent upwards of $2,000 on it over the last 8 years or so.

I do remember considering Lifetime Presidents Club membership back in the early 90's but in those days it was somewhat unlikely that CO was going to be around mich longer.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  10. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    When AA took over TWA the lifetime Ambassador Club members were "converted" to three year Admirals Club members.
    Thank you for flying American Airlines.

11. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too would be interested in lifetime lounge access given I plan to live another 40+ years

Skyvillager and hulagrrl210 like this.
  12. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    hulagrrl210 likes this.
  13. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And given the longevity in my family, I fear (and dread) that I will live another 60+ years. That's why I bought a lifetime PC membership. If I outlive UA, so be it. They just have to last another 14 years at today's annual membership rates for my investment to pay off. My wallet candy will at least last forever. [​IMG]

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  14. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    $2.6K > $10K

vs

i hope i can take advantage of some crazy lifetime deal during my lifetime. =D

i cant believe the guy who had the lifetime AA first class travel got it revoked by committing fraud...

15. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I paid $350 + $35 initiation fee for a lifetime RCC membership in 1980. I subsequently bought a lifetime Admirals Club Membership for $500 + $50 and a lifetime PC membership for $500, which is now duplicative and soon will be extinct.

hulagrrl210 and IDGflygirl like this.
  16. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some people with incredible foresight on this thread. Congratulations to all the Lifetime airline club members. Chumps like me will continue paying $300-$700 per year for membership in our favourite clubs. :)

avflyer, hulagrrl210 and Billiken like this.
  17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could there be video/security cams in the area that perhaps can be used by airlines to see if employees are following the rules? and thats why they ask for the card even though they know you? I know where I work, even though I know everyone, I still have to show an ID, and person checking it told me a while ago its because the security cams the entrance.

18. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO at the various PClubs they scan the card to show an accurate (maximum) customer flow.
    Also to justify the supplies they use

"You had five customers and served a keg of Heineken?"
    "Yes, corporate.....they were all members and MPers."

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  19. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait, I haven't heard about this. What happened?

20. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for not using "MiPo."

21. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or the philosophy that "it only hurts once." [​IMG] I bought mine right after my bonus check cleared last year. [​IMG] Of course, you do run the risk that you will outlive the membership. There is a similar thread in the CO forum about this, and not one person who bought a lifetime membership has regretted it. On the other hand, my father regrets buying his lifetime Ionosphere Club membership. If you expect UA to be around for the long haul, all I can say is that the annual fees will only move in one direction.

davidavid237 and PhlyingRPh like this.
  22. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true.

23. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish CO would honor my United status so I could get the PC discount! Otherwise I think I'll just have to become a 2mm. $10k is a little steep. I'm still young but that is crazy.

I think my dad might will his lifetime RCC membership (and possibly lifetime status) to my cousin. Same first and last name with no middle initial on the card. If it wasn't for TSA wanting to know your birthdate, I think the two would probably travel on the same account. Bad boys ;)

24. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming CO does not eliminate the sale of lifetime memberships after the merger is final, I would highly suggest that if you are serious about buying a lifetime membership, send a PM to UA Insider to see if he can inquire about CO giving you the rate which applies to your equivalent UA status. My suspicion is that CO does not sell too many of these, so there might be some flexibility there. If the answer is "no," you are no worse off.

25. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. I still don't have $10k $8k though (I figured my husband would want in on the action) :(. I might go for the cheaper one. If he travels by alone, it is usually internationally so he can get in by himself anyway.