Lifetime Platinum Status for Starwood - Will it ever come?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by dc3, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any opinions or information about Starwood coming up with a Lifetime Platinum status like Marriott and Hyatt have done? I have been Platinum at Starwood for 11+ years, but one of these days (soon) I will be slowing down and retiring, so I would like to have some status at that time.

travelingmore likes this.
  2. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe it's indirectly available through Starwood Vacation Ownership (aka Starwood timeshare program). That's the only way I'm aware of to gain Platinum (or Gold) "for life"

3. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Considering there is no lifetime SPG Gold, I think the chances of getting that would be higher than SPG Platinum in the future if they offer such a LT membership program.

4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly in the future it may come, however I believe it would just be lifetime Gold

Skyvillager likes this.
  5. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I would love one myself, I am not sure what the incentive would be for *wood to give it. Your own example, which is similar to my own situation, probably illustrates why they would NOT bring in lifetime status - why would they want to be extending top tier benefits when we are "slowing down"?

The only way I could see it happening is if it was tied to a stay/spend stretch goal so difficult hardly anyone could attain it - like 1000 qualifying paid nights in five years, or spending a million dollars within a certain time period, or something like that. It would have to be such that real road warriors would try to chase it, but so difficult few would get it.

Cheers,

mcruiser likes this.
  6. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unlikely. Wood protects its Platinums by controlling the numbers. It took that status away from AMEX Centurion card members. If it happens, it will be so restricted that few will ever qualify.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  7. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    unless Starwood buys fairmont [​IMG]

8. whitedoor
    Original Member

whitedoor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there are about 115 people that would agree with you.

9. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would also think that from a business point of view it's probably not a good idea to offer lifetime plat e.g. to somebody having been plat for 10+ years. It may make sense to offer it to people in retirement age after they had plat for 10+ years (like LH does it for lifetime SEN).

Would you really continue to have 25+ stays per year after you've reached lifetime plat? Or would you switch part of your stays to other hotels to earn status there.

10. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. The top tier SVO does include an automatic SPG Plat membership. So as long as you don't ever sell, you essentially have lifetime Platinum status.

Cheers,

DeltaExpert likes this.
  11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone get anything for 1,000 lifetime nights?

12. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get 1,000 nights in a Sheraton sweet sleep bed!:D

druiddation likes this.
  13. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ===

Hyatt requires 1 million real points (i.e.,, $200,000 of room charges) which exclude any bonus points.

Marriott requires a certain number of nights (1500?) and lifetime total points.

Incentive for Starwood is to get us to stay more than 50 nights per year until we reach a lifetime of 1000 nights or something like that.

I would like to have this last one (my trifecta) before I fade into the sunset. :)

14. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually think that lifetime status makes sense. If I had lifetime SPG right now, would I switch and try to earn status at say Hilton or Fairmont? I might. But so what? Status is only good for the benefits, and the benefits only come if you stay at a Starwood property. If I get lifetime status and choose not to stay at Starwood, then I'm only really hurting myself by not taking advantage of the benefits.

It's not like status actually costs Starwood anything to hand out, other than maybe a different membership card. The benefits only cost Starwood something when I start staying at a property, but by then they're charging me anyway.

Lifetime status only works if you take advantage of the benefits, which in turn only kick in if you stay with the same brand. Accordingly I see lifetime status as a great enhancer of loyalty. It can also turn into a great marketing tool - look at how wonderful Starwood is; we have xxx lifetime members!

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    RCyyz - You do forget that giving someone SPG Gold or Platinum does cost a bit than just the membership card. Just think about the benefits in real terms so the 4 pm late check out - that in theory costs money as does the bonus points etc. So giving away Lifetime status is hardly free but I do agree it would be a good thing to bring in and would provide a good incentive for people to continue to stay with SPG.

I hope you understand what I am saying.

16. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. But ... only if the member actually stays at a Starwood property.

I agree that the benefits cost $$$. But they only cost if they are used. Since the member would be staying at a property, the member would be paying for that hotel room and possibly some other stuff as well (restaurant etc) so the property is presumably making not just revenue but actual profit even though some benefits are adding to the overall cost.

17. GVA

GVA Active Member

Status Points:
    Along with the lack of free breakfast, not having lifetime platinum is one of the only things missing in the spg program.

18. I would think at some point down the road: maybe 15 years of Platinum or something along those lines they would want to offer some sort of life time status; I mean all the other programs do it and SPG has a lot less properties then lets say Marriott, and Marriott offers it after 12 years I believe. Would only make sense I think JMO...