Lifetime : LH or OZ

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by kraken, Oct 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kraken

kraken Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering 'chasing' after lifetime Star Alliance Gold status and two contenders for me are OZ and LH.

I've a reasonable amount of miles in LH and from what I gather, I need to be 60 years old, earn 1 million miles and LH lifetime is discretionary. However, I am almost 20 years from 60. I like LH because of its generous miles mutiplier for premium cabins.

OZ, on the other hand, has a lower threshold for lifetime status but it's COS sucks. Only a paltry 25% extra for J cabin.

I would like to get your viewpoints about which I should go for.

Looking for the future, I am unsure of my travel plans but then again, all my flights are self funded. OZ will allow me an earlier qualification for lifetime gold but COS earning sucks which mean I may not be able to redeem for flights as much as I could if I had stayed with LH. Hmmm, what should I do?

SQ LPP likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that the LH program lifetime status is not published as a formal benefit- although many have received it- I am not sure it will stick around. Remember also that you need to be Senator level for the ten consecutive years prior to arriving at sixty- it is a bit different than 1 million miles lifetime.

SQ LPP and kraken like this.
  3. kraken

kraken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean Senator from age 50 onwards count? Therefore senator for 10 continuous years prior to 50 is worthless?

SQ LPP likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, yes.

SQ LPP likes this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not worth it then imho. I would rather go with UA and try to reach 4MM for Lifetime GS. :p

SQ LPP likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are living in a country with good United service this is probably the best bet.

SQ LPP likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your goal is lifetime status, any flights on LH taken before the year in which you turn 50 are wasted. However, I would be surprised if UA/CO offer lifetime GS at 4 MM for very long, unless they revamp the GS program. It has too many special and costly benefits for them to give away to people who never or no longer generate much revenue for them.

SQ LPP likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except that there really aren't all that many people who qualify and the costs to provide it aren't really significant.

If the OP's self-funded travel is in Y then OZ is the smart move right now. If it is in premium cabins then things might be different. I'd look at BD if I didn't think the program was going to die before I will. In fact, I am 5 years into my 10 consecutive to get BG Gold for life and I'm giving up on it.

Plus, getting to 2MM BIS on UA for lifetime Gold without upgrade certs is probably not worth it.

9. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you mean 1MM BIS on UA for lifetime Gold without upgrade certs, or 2MM BIS on UA for lifetime Platinum with regional upgrades?

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. 1MM; my bad.

11. kraken

kraken Silver Member

Status Points:
    There lies part of my problem as I do fly in premium cabin. Yes, I was in BD's program but decided to give it up.

SQ LPP likes this.
  12. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an OZ fan for a long while, I would stick with chasing OZ lifetime... check-in agents in ICN get to know you fast, and crew goes out of their way to make you feel welcome... Depending on where you are located, call centre staff also become quite knowledgeable about your travel patterns and can bend rules once they get to know you ;) SYD and TPE offices are prime examples

13. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    doesn't OZ offer the cheapest lifetime membership out of all the *A? Something like 500k right? I'd go with that for sure. And I think all *A flights counts towards that.

14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. See my summary of airline lifetime elite status.

15. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I might throw out a couple slight corrections for the new UA, you write:
    It's not as simple as 1 million status miles, it's 1 million butt-in-seat miles. Class-of-service status mile bonuses won't count going forwards towards lifetime status. Also, the nominated partner will receive a match of your current elite status (which might be premier gold resulting from lifetime status or something higher from flying more), minus any upgrade instruments.
    (Ditto 2, 3, and 4 million)