Lifetime Gold and Platinum Status for 1 Million and 2 Million Miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by swisshat, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm less than 600 miles away from lifetime gold status.

I'm very eager to get over the threshold. I just got an insurance quote from Liberty Mutual that should get 500 miles fairly soon (I did it last year and I remember those miles posting rather quickly). FYI: you can churn the Liberty Mutual insurance quote each year for 500 Aadvantage miles. And, hopefully the 250 miles from the Best Western sign up bonus post soon. Then I'll be at lifetime gold - woo hoo!

What do you get for hitting the million mile marks?

1MM: lifetime gold status, and eight 500-mile sticker upgrades (those w/ US addresses) or four SWU (those w/ international addresses). You also get two luggage tags showing your MM status.

2MM: lifetime platinum status, and four SWU (domestic and international addresses). You also get two luggage tags showing your MM status.

3MM+: four SWU at each MM mark.

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, swisshat. Welcome to MilePoint. And congratulations in advance.

3. AAfan

AAfan Active Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations! Just another million to go!

4. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell me about it... I just passed 1MM and am now planning the trek to 2MM. The irony of course is that it doesn't really matter to me now, but I worry it won't be around when I would otherwise reach it.

5. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My 3MM will post sometime in the next two weeks... I had wanted to make it by December 2010, but life and a huge (thankfully temporary!) slowdown in work travel impeded my progress. Excited to start the count towards 4MM soon!

yosithezet likes this.
  6. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been hanging in the low 2MM area for a few years. If UA/CO continue to "enhance" the MP program, I may jump back to AA heavily. Glad they have bag tags for hitting each new MM levels and can order additional ones to use.

7. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, i've got a long way to go. Just got my first AA miles a few months ago, still around 700k till my the 1mm mark :(

8. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    No worries....all miles posted to AA count towards MM status so it can add up fast!!

joesmoe likes this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It sounds like a cliche, but the second million comes a lot faster than the first. I'm close to 3MM, and there are so many great opportunities to pile up the miles.

HNL likes this.
  10. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    100% agreed. The more you learn, the more things build on each other.

11. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen! Gotta learn to walk before you can run, but once you learn how to run, sprinting comes a lot more easily! :)

JDiver likes this.
  12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, JY1024. Welcome to MilePoint.

13. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint. Congrats on 1MM. I can promise you that the second MM will come much easier.

gemac likes this.
  14. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The benefit of not passing the MM threshold in December is that your SWUs will be good through February, 2013.

gemac and noam like this.
  15. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good tip to keep in mind. I could have delayed the bonus that pushed me over at the end of 2010 if I had thought about it.

16. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy has made it quite clear that there will be no running or sprinting around here. The floors are still new and quite slippery.

gemac and HNL like this.
  17. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen!

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I earned my first 1MM around fall of 2006.

I earned my 2MM in summer of 2010.

And I'm already sitting around 2.3mm.

Of course that's with about 30k lifetime butt-in-seat miles on AA. What a great program! [​IMG]

nomflyer and joesmoe like this.
  19. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotta agree that the first mil is the hardest. Got mine with about 10 months of dedicated effort. The second mil is coming even faster!

20. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received most of my miles by flying, along with associated promo miles and bonuses. Took 3 years for 1MM, 6 years for 2MM, and 9 years for 3MM. Love it at the EXP level but no lifetime tier to take you there every year, so generally 125-150K of flying a year to stay there.

21. VagabondJim

VagabondJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long can AA continue to grant 1MM and 2MM lifetime status for non BIS miles? It's too good be true for much longer.

schnitzel likes this.
  22. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Everyone keeps expecting this to go away. And it's hard to believe that it hasn't. But it keeps hanging on, perhaps if only because of the cost to change the IT infrastructure. It just hasn't been quite the priority that everyone thinks it'll be.

And I admit, I thought this would go away at the end of last year. I have no special knowledge on this issue, but I would be very surprised to see it go away in 2011 -- in the AAdvantage 30th anniversary year. I just would be surprised with too many cuts or devaluations in 2011..

nomflyer likes this.
  23. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    It just needs to hold on a little while longer and then I've got it!

24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    There problem is that they have established it as all miles, and they make a lot of money from selling miles. Since they lose money overall, it is hard to do something that will damage a money-making division. And this would damage that division. People would close credit cards and bank accounts, shift from earining AA miles to other points/miles, etc. Not only would AA sell fewer miles, but also their partners would push for a lower price per mile, saying (correctly) that the mile isn't as valuable as it used to be. Doesn't mean that AA won't change, but it means there are consequences to the change.

yunicorner, HNL and sagefemme52 like this.
  25. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    SWUs? Am I missing something?

I passed Million Miler on AA in 2009, and although I noticed 8 500-mile upgrades were added to my account, I didn't see any SWUs.

Should I have gotten some? I know United gives three SWUs when one passes the Million Miler mark with Mileage Plus; has AAdvantage decided to do the same?

And a second question: How long are those 8 500-mile upgrades good? Are they "good until used" or do they expire?