Lifetime *G for 500k miles earned

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Saracen, Jul 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    JohnDeere19, sobore, phsu and 2 others like this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    BMI also offers a similar program, though it only takes 38k miles a year to renew gold after the initial gold qualifying year (54k miles). The gold status is lifetime after 10 years of qualifying for *G. Though with BMI there's talk of adapting or merging the plan with Miles/More (LH)

Curious how "cooperative" their redemption schedule is for miles.

JohnDeere19 and Chimpy like this.
  3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess the issue with BMI, that I gave up on, is that ten years is a long time in the life of an airline not doing too well, and with an FFP that has been the subject of much speculation. No one knows whether lifetime status will be carried over through an M&M merger.

At the moment, I'm using OZ for status only, so will not be hitting 500k any time soon, with just 40k in each 2 years! I hear the Korean website now has online redemption for *A flights, which might be nice if it moves to English. But the redemption table is pretty coarse!

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're absolutely right. I can't imagine BMI being in the same state years from now. With the Star Mega Do, I think I am going to shift over to UA Mileage Plus. The trip will get me just about to premier, and I can start climbing the ladder again, though the asiana 500k is compelling because a 1k could snag life time gold theoretically in as little as 5 years. but gone would be the UA perks.

JohnDeere19 and Chimpy like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Asiana award chart gets expensive for really long journeys, for is quite reasonable for shorter ones. E.g. up to 10k miles flown for 80k points in business class, that gets you from the US East Coast to much of Europe and since it's a distance-based chart there's not really much in the way of routing rules and you get a couple of stopovers in each direction in addition to your destination.

US members can get the Asiana American Express from Bank of America, which earns 2 miles per dollar on all spend.

Asiana does add fuel surcharges to awards, however. IIRC the BofA Amex offers a $100 credit annually..

kiwi, JohnDeere19 and Saracen like this.
  6. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    The big earning downers for me, compared to BD have to be:
    • The (paltry) status bonus only applies to OZ flights
    • Hotel stays aren't great (Hhonors at 500/stay, vs 1000/night on BD)
    • If you fly premium cabins, it's more like UA, etc.
    Though the family program means you can earn miles on you kids' spouse's flights.

So for me, I'm still probably going to sink only the necessary miles for status, and put the rest somewhere more useful (SQ for now). I'll keep the kids flights crediting to OZ, and see what I can manage with redemptions.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    While it's a good deal, 500,00 but-in-seat miles are difficult for anyone to earn, unless you live in Asiana's home turf. If you live the in US, I'd say 1M miles on UA is much easier to get than 500K on Asiana!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    *A partner miles also count, so you don't have to step on OZ once to earn the status

Saracen and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what makes this enticing. Previously, they offered lifetime status as Platinum membership, but that required 1 million *A miles. They've now cut that in half for lifetime Diamond Plus.

10. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    OZ is one of the few Asia *A airline that give you 100% on all US, CO an UA economy flights. Which makes people based in the US achieve this much easier and cheaper....