Lifemiles Star Alliance award experiences?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by flydonkey, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. flydonkey

flydonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a search for Lifemiles, Avianca, and Taca, and to my surprise, there were no threads devoted to this new-ish Star Alliance member's frequent flyer program. It has an active discussion post on TOBB and has also been highlighted on a few blogs. The active discussion and blog involvement has, as usual, been mixed with the inevitable gnashing of teeth and complaining that happens when a potentially good deal becomes more widely publicized.

I am no expert at analyzing FF programs, but the value for me in this program is the ability to book "aspirational awards" that have been otherwise very difficult to come by - e.g. LX F ZRH-MIA in January 2013 - at what I consider to be a bargain price. The one-way ticket cost 67,500 miles and $85.88, and the cost of the miles was $1012.50. Not cheap by any means, but a significant improvement over the $12K+ it would have otherwise cost. There also appear to be much more frugal ways to use the miles and clever routing techniques that can make this program very valuable, depending on travel interests/styles.

Anyone else have any experience with the Lifemiles awards so far?

2. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    How far in advance are you able to see LX awards? I found some around Christmas but nothing for next summer.
    Any luck with LH? I'm looking for a simple LX or LH F return from the west coast to Europe during the summer months.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly, no availability shows on ANA even though it comes up on Lifemiles and seems to be bookable according to others. Is anyone seeing availability that matches on EF?

Newscience likes this.
  4. flydonkey

flydonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some computer/reservations systems expert may be able to explain this or correct me if my perception is off - my experience so far with Lifemiles makes me suspect that if a high value premium award is searched (eg LX F), but not selected or booked, it disappears from the search results if you re-do the same query in the same session.

When I first did a search for LX F ZRH-MIA for two people on 1/1/13, there were 2 seats available. By the time I bought the miles and re-did the search 10-15 minutes later, only one seat was available.

I just did a search for LAX-ZRH in LX F, one way for 1 passenger, and there was a bookable seat on 6/7/2013. I skipped forward to the next week - nothing, then scrolled back to 6/7/2013 which now showed "sold out". So I guess the take home message might be be sure to have the miles that you need in the account, flexibility with your dates, and willingness to book at once if the availability shows up.

And I will stop dummy-searching so as not to mess up anyone else's opportunities! ;)

Newscience likes this.
  5. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any update on experiences with Lifemiles. They have their 100% promotion running now and I'm tossing up between them and the US airways one for a planned trip I want to take. Also, any clarity on the routing rules for Lifemiles?

Newscience likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    use your lifemiles account to search for space - if you see something then maybe buy the miles and book it. If not, consider US airways where you will have a slightly better call center experience but make sure that either way you use the miles soon.

Newscience likes this.
  7. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone has used Lifemiles for reward tickets? If so, how was the experience?

Newscience likes this.
  8. IsabellaMoll

IsabellaMoll New Member

Status Points:
    Is Lifemiles for USA only?

Newscience likes this.
  9. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There isn't a program just for one country. Lifemiles are from Avianca TACA. You can be about anywhere in the world and have an account with them, just like you would with any other airline.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Live in SJO, once did RT in couch SJO-SFO direct for 20,000. Nice deal. Plus it was October, the worst part of the rainy season in CR, and beautiful in Sonoma....

Newscience likes this.