Life after Schwab - suggestions for new cards that do the same

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Gary Steiger, Oct 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many of us had been using the Charles Schwab Visa card. It gave 2% cash back on all purchases, credited automatically to any bank account, no foreign currency transaction fee, and no annual fee. Alas, this became too good to be true, and the card was announced to be terminated by the end of October 2011.

I know of no cards that completely replace this card with all of its advantages, but a combination of cards would do pretty much the same thing. So I created the Schwab Replacement Cards page to list my suggestions of the best of them. Therein you will find the best of the cash back cards and a list of good cards that have no foreign currency transaction fee. Please add anything I missed here.

You can find this page on my website below at Credit Cards > Schwab Replacement Cards.

druiddation likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems that perhaps you missed actually sharing any useful information here, other than telling people to visit your own site.

TAHKUCT and Scottrick like this.
  3. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Touche, but ouch.

Let me sum up (and I don't think I'm stealing traffic from Gary's site as I'd sussed this out on my own already):

The closest match right now appears to be the Fidelity cash back AMEX.

4. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The useful information is very lengthy and is on my website. I saw no reason to copy and paste a very long post here. I did search this forum on "Schwab" and found only an announcement of the termination of the card. I found no discussion of replacement cards. If I missed something, I apologize. But perhaps you are thinking of the discussion on that other forum?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope.

I just don't think there is nearly as much value to the community is starting a thread solely for the purpose of directing traffic elsewhere. If there is information worth sharing then a summary certainly cannot be too hard to produce with a link to more detailed info elsewhere. Instead we go no actual information and not even a link in the actual post. I'd say that's not so useful to building the community here. Might be great for your site, but not so much for this one.

A thread titled "Suggestions for new cards" that actually includes no such suggestions seems to me a rather strange way to approach the situation.

If the answer for "Life after the Schwab card" is to start reading your site more then this is a very useful and informative thread. But I doubt that's really the answer. Actually I know it isn't.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I am more interested in getting out information that people need than in building community, though my invitation "pease add anything I missed here" is intended to start futher discussion in this thread.

I am beginning to suspect that you have not actually read my list, as I can't imagine anyone not finding it useful. It is new information to this forum, and It is only three clicks away. Three clicks is a lot easier than my creating the post you suggest.

I have been running my website and posting on forums for a very long time, longer than any blogs I know about. Most everyone considers my posts and website quite useful, and a large number of miles seekers depend on my website.

druiddation likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're correct; I didn't read your list. Partly because you didn't include a link to it and mostly because I just don't really care to have that information in my brain right now. I'm sure it is useful information and I know that your site has lots of good information on it. But that's not what this thread is about, right? Theoretically (at least based on the thread title) I was expecting to see some suggestions of what cards might be appealing to me, not a suggestion that I should be using a different website for my information.

I just figure if the goal is to generate traffic to your site then you should buy ad space; if the goal is to share knowledge and information then you should share it. I don't think you're doing either in this case. Just MHO on this particular topic.

FlyingBear likes this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gary,

Thank you for the link. However, I do agree with Wandering Aramean. I was expecting some info in this thread, Even though you did list various suggestions on your site, it is very difficult to discuss them or even comment when they are not readily available.

dgreen12 and estnet like this.
  9. frank10b

frank10b Silver Member

Status Points:
    i really like your site and its realy complete however i can never seem to find what i need quickly there
    like i still dont see where the schwab info is???
    but i do enjoy the completeness of the site and info

thanks

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What link? Is it something in the OP's signature? (I don't see those)

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is no info on the Schwab Card because it is no longer offered. Thus my page on Life After Schwab, found where I said it is in my first post of this thread.