LHR to get fast-track passport lanes for 'low-risk' countries

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by rwoman, Aug 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca, aptraveler, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    That will be nice for some of us. I recall a flight from CPH where clearing through the immigration queue took longer than the flight itself! :eek:

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Separate fast-track passport lanes for people from "old Commonwealth" countries, such as Australia and Canada, are to be introduced at Heathrow after the Olympics, the immigration minister has disclosed.

Tourists and visitors from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the US and Japan are to be given the chance of avoiding the lengthy queues at Heathrow faced by passengers with passports from other non-European countries.
    "

So the US and Japan are old Commonwealth countries? ;)

jbcarioca and YULtide like this.
  4. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great. It's about time they addressed the shameful waste of everyone's time at this place.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now, maybe the US could follow this example?

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A service which differentiates between 1st class citizens and 2nd class citizens? State-sponsored selection? I'm not so sure!

IMHO, I would look forward to a service which let's all passengers to / from LHR enjoy better services, regarding passport control / security screenings. It's important to send this message to the world. We're welcoming, right?

:confused:

7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    well, the US is really old Commonwealth, circa <1783! :p

surprised that HK is not there. India should also be considered 'old Commonwealth'. Maybe a more apt term would be ex-ex-ex-pat populated 'old Commonwealth'

8. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really do not understand. Do you mean to tell me that the US is no longer a British colony? A most shocking suggestion m'lord.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't many (all?) EU countries have EU and Non-EU immigration counters? Not sure that it actually makes any difference in practice in those cases, but the differentiation exists.

Similar in the US -- citizens/permanent residents vs. visitors. Would it be a big discrimination if visitors was split into, say, Visa Waiver countries and non-Visa Waiver countries?

I do agree that the goal should be to make processing fast, painless and efficient for anyone. Same with TSA -- I have often argued that the cost of tens of thousands of people standing in line at TSA checkpoints at any given point in time is huge for society and we should demand sufficient screeners be deployed to get through the checkpoint in five minutes or less at all times.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Check your spam folder for that email from 1776.

11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't meant to look to other countries with my comments, I would like to see that countries go away from the mold formed in the US and EU, and would be the UK brave enough to do so regarding their policies in passport control / security screening they would be called by me as innovators and not " selectors ".

To look again at outmoded policies to the US / EU, that's a default answer for me. It's like some people are saying, I want to help people to go further in life, but " me " first. It's the same IMHO. Too many people depending on their old views, given and shaped by others, that's sad in many ways. How do we ever expect change then?

jbcarioca, YULtide and Flying Bat like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, there could be reasons for the separation. For example, agents that are trained to deal with non-EU passports/IDs and others (newbies?) who aren't. Not saying that it's a necessarily good reason, but someone must have thought there was a need for the separation.

As I am often enough in the "foreigner" line, I am totally in agreement with you that the goal should be to offer equally efficient and courteous service to all people passing through immigration.

13. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're asking for too much :D

Also right now there are Games Family lanes for athletes and media to use. I'll find out how much time they actually save in August when I head out for the Paralympics.

14. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good to me after my last trip it took 2.5 hours to clear immigration at LHR

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  15. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    We won the war with shock and awe tactics back in the 18th century.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  16. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I used the expedited Games Family lane today and was through in 3 minutes. Much faster than I would have been in the Business Class Line at T4 today. Unfortunately Delta destroyed my time savings, apparently Sky Priority doesn't translate very well in to British English.

Flying Bat and jbcarioca like this.
  17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume you're talking about baggage, which is handled by a 3rd Party at LHR...SP baggage is usually very good at LHR.

18. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I was amazed at the lack of priority given. If Delta truly believed in SP they'd make proper delivery of SP services a requirement for the third party.

bigx0, Flying Bat and jbcarioca like this.
  19. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I was amazed at the lack of priority given. If Delta truly believed in SP they'd make proper delivery of SP services a requirement for the third party.

20. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC even when it was still a colony, HK residents with British C passports still needed visas to enter the UK. They certainly had no right of residency in the UK with their British passports. (Unlike Macau, whose residents received EU passports from the Portuguese as a parting gift.)

It seems the differentiation here is between people from countries requiring a visa versus people from countries not requiring a visa to enter the UK. It makes sense that the former probably require a bit more time at the immigration desk than the latter, so streaming them into different queues might expedite matters a bit.

Meanwhile, in Canada everyone gets to wait an equally long time to clear immigration. No advantage for citizens. The only people fast tracked are air crew, diplomats and Nexus holders.

I look forward to my next viist to the UK.

Flying Bat, jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always nice to get the FastTrack pass from AC when I land but this is a long time coming and I look forward to it being implemented ... spot on UK! :)

Flying Bat, jbcarioca and YULtide like this.
  22. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    actually a large portion of it has been deeded to Mexico.

23. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I remember tonight, I'll ask about this when I clear immigration at T5.

:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any update on this? I can't find any news item more recent than July 2012, and the Heathrow Immigration page says there are only the two queues as usual.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. I just went thorough LHR 2 weeks ago and there was no change in procedure for Canadians

jbcarioca likes this.