LHR T5 Lounges or Restaurants

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Aug 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying though London on BA, no lounge access to BA lounges.

Are there any pay lounges worth considering? Any restaurants you'd recommend instead?

Thanks!

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can recommend, Plane Food by Gordon Ramsay. Beautiful food, setting and value. We loved it and wouldn't hesitate to eat there again.

http://www.gordonramsay.com/planefood/

...and yes, LHR T5 is a great Terminal. Cheers, wishing you safe travels.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick reply and the recommendation. First time flying through T5, first time flying a BA A380, first time flying premium economy... excited about trip. And looks like the UK just raised their welcome, eh, threat level for me :)

blackjack-21, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised? ;)

uggboy likes this.
  5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    connecting via LHR in Nov, not sure if it's T5...

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gordon Ramsey yes.. T5 great terminal? ...not by any stretch of the imagination among other things.. poor signage, anal security, baggage prone to get lost ( coupled with BA's abysmal baggage services) ... hope the OP doesn't have to change terminals (not all on-going BA flights leave from T3)

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The terminal depends on which airline and destination.

8. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Adding to this thread. I am flying in on BA, premium economy as well (not that I think that counts for anything), and am a Gold US Airways, which is a OneWorld Sapphire Elite equivalent. What lounges do I have access to? I went to the BA site, but can't really tell. Can I get into the Business Lounge? Or the Arrivals Lounge? I'm there for about 6 hours, so it would be nice to find a relaxing place for a bit. Since it is a layover, are there lounges I have to go through customs/passpport control to get to (is that allowed on a stopover?) Am I restricted to a certain lounge areas is what I am wondering.

Thanks.

9. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oneworld sapphire flying BA has access to BA's business class lounges on departure. T5 main terminal has two of these (and there is at least one more in the T5 satellite terminals if your flight depart from there). No need to clear immigration & custom (unless you want to or only checked bags to LHR). Just follow the signs for flight connection centre, pick up a BA boarding pass at the transfer desk if you don't already have it, and proceed through security. Depending on your arrival airline and origin you may also have a bus ride between terminals (through the flight connection centre).

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So to follow up, we did end up eating at Plane Food on the outbound, and it was a nice place to get a good meal and spend an hour or so. Thanks again for the recommendation.

On the return we had a five hour layover and ended up resting in the reclined chairs between gates A12 and A13 (kind of hidden away, buy worth going to). Food and drink-wise I did a couple of runs to Pret for coffee, croissants and sandwiches. Liked it a lot.

Overall, T5 experience was okay. Didn't particularly like the overall layout with the two satellite concourses (B and C gates, connected by the automated train) and the forced security upon arrival, but we had plenty of time so it wasn't the end of the world.

Bags made the connection and didn't get lost (we only checked on the return).