LHR T2 MLL and Arrivals Lounge

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Winger, Jun 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew YYC-LHR-YYC arriving last Thursday and returning on Sunday, and got to experience the new lounges. Some notes -

Arriving at T2 -
    - Was a long walk to customs from the gate, seemed longer than T3
    - Considering there are only 2 airlines using this terminal right now, the wait for customs was the longest I have ever experienced arriving in LHR. Fast Track lineup had over 50 people in it
    - Arrivals lounge was adequate, but small. I see why they won't be allowing anyone but SE or J
    - Shower room was nice, but not clear on how to call for your shirt to be pressed. Turns out there is a button inside the door where you hang your shirt you have to press
    - I didn't eat but there was a large selection of food, bagels with bacon looked good
    - Signage, especially considering you are in the UK where they love signs ;), was very poor in the arrivals hall

Departing T2 -
    - I checked in online and was through fast track security in less than 2 mins.
    - once you are through security the shopping is all in this area, over 2 levels. Then it is what seems a very long walk to the lounge, which isn't really very clear on where to go. By the time I reached the lounge I was thinking it would be empty as it wasn't the easiest to find, but it was quite full about 30 mins after I arrived. This was at about 845 Sunday morning.
    - Plenty of food, full English breakfast served but disgusting mushrooms and hashbrowns that would break your teeth if you tried to eat them. The bacon, sausages and roast tomatoes were fine. Nice cold cuts.
    - Full service bar
    - Lounge is very modern looking, but overall I don't think it's as comfortable as the old lounge, I miss the quiet tv room. They do have 3 pod like rooms with small screens so if you are lucky enough to score one of these spots you can get some privacy. And I really hate bench seating, a personal pet peeve.
    - Showers weren't working when I arrived. After about 90 mins I was called up and given a room, but the shower would only spit out burning hot or freezing cold water, nothing in between. The shower room was nice, I liked that it had a toilet, seemed like a nice rain shower if it worked. Very annoying that there wasn't a single hook to hang clothes on while in the room, or anywhere to set your case.
    - seating area around the gate was packed, and the passport check is now done when they board the plane, so you get in line, show your PP to the officials, and then to the agent again with your boarding pass, which seemed to slow down down boarding considerably.

I really think it's going to piss off alot of members below SE when they find out next year they can't use the arrivals lounge. I consider the arrivals lounge a huge perk, one of my favorite.

Also, arriving in YYC there was an announcement that due to a glitch at T2 alot of bags didn't make the flight which lead to a huge groan.

Attached Files:

tomh009 and Newscience like this.
  2. 2by4

2by4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw Air Canada, United, Air New Zealand and Swiss at T2 already.

3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all the long walks shown between T-2A and 2B, and what appear to also be lengthy hikes throughout the new terminal, are there any moving walkaways along the way? And, unlike the one at YYZ's T-1, are they working?

4. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are moving walkways, but not necessarily "fast" like the YYZ version. And they were working ;)

Problem is for impatient people like me who like to move, everyone seems to be standing with their bags in the way, so it's quicker to walk than take them.

Heston Blumenthal has a restaurant in T2 past security called the perfectionist's cafe, menu looked interesting, I am going to give it a try next time I am there.

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one of the things I love about Japan. People will stand on the left on escalators and moving walkways, and allow others to walk on the right. Alas, tourists at NRT don't always follow the protocol!

The Winger and YULtide like this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There'll always be people who either don't know or don't care about blocking the way for others to pass. You see them in airports, on moving walkways, staircases, escalators, elevators, and large stores in the aisles. My wife is content to just stand and wait till they move over, but my patience is short, and a loud "excuse us" usually does the trick.

Since Japan's idea of standing on the left rather then the right as in other countries, do they have signs in different languages to inform the tourists of the proper side to stand still on?

When the YYZ moving walkway in T-1 was first installed, it was out for repairs more often then on, so I hope the movers in LHR are more reliable.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Japan drives on the left, too, so staying to the left on sidewalks and escalators comes naturally. Most tourists (in the Tokyo, not counting NRT) seem to clue in pretty quickly.

It's now mostly working but no longer worthy of the "Express" label, running probably only 10-20% faster than the standard walkways.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many countries, UK and OZ for examples, drive on the left yet their walking habits don't always conform to their driving habits. But as you mentioned, most (some) TYO tourists usually wise up quickly.

9. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    The LHR moving walkway appears to be as reliable as YYZ's regular speed moving walkway which has always been there right beside the more tempermental high speed experiment. ;)

blackjack-21 likes this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify, the AC site says E75K and E50K pax are also able to use the LHR arrivals lounge, along with one guest.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/maplelounges/lhr.html

11. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    To further clarify, on the FT site AC personnel stated that this benefit will only continue until Feb 28, 2015 - after which point it will be restricted to SE100K and J passengers only. See post 78 where they state "However, since this lounge is being operated in conjunction with our airline partners and will therefore need to accommodate more travellers than the number visiting our current location, our access policy will change in 2015. Effective March 1, 2015 only Altitude Super Elite 100K members, along with one guest, will be eligible to access this lounge." (They later clarified that J also get access)
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1479137-air-canada-moves-lhr-t2-6.html

At least they are not pulling a benefit mid-year, but wonder when the news will be publicly communicated.

YULtide and The Winger like this.
  12. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks The Lev, that's what I was referring to.

YULtide likes this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently in Osaka area people also stand on the right and walk on the left, reverse to that of most of Japan (even though traffic is the same). It's been more than 10 years since I was in Osaka, though, so I can't personally vouch for this.

14. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. I also wonder when it will be publicly communicated.

The Lev likes this.
  15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found this to be the case in the CDG STAR lounge showers too. No hooks or any other way to hang one's clothes, and no door passage either where items could be hung. No ventilation either. One of the worst set of showers I've ever experienced.

16. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too found the lack of hooks in the shower room annoying but was able to improvize - I think I hung my stuff off a cabinet knob or something similar. Anyway, an easy fix that hopefully they address quickly.

17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC says they have revised the access policy ... not clear what this will mean as of March 2015:

18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used the showers this week ... there are two knobs on the wall for hanging your clothes, plus a small door that opens from the main door itself, with a hanger inside it. And a bench for setting your bag on. A very nice lounge, with a far better food selection than the old one. Almost 20 shower rooms. The lounge was not crowded after my late-morning flight.

The departure lounge is very nice indeed. A great view of the apron, lots of wood and glass, comfortable seating and plenty of power outlets. Food selection was very good, too, and an excellent espresso machine. Overall the new T2 is fantastic, especially compared with the somewhat depressing experience of using the old T3.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.