LHR Mileage Run - Same Morning Turnaround

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by filelover, Dec 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. filelover

filelover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have flown enough times to Heathrow but have never done a same morning turnaround. Was wondering if someone has done it to let me know if this is a good idea or if I need more time to take the return flight.

Planning on flying in on AA80 DFWLHR arriving at 8AM and turning around at 945AM back to DFW.

I assume that should be enough time to get back to the gate since I will my boarding card for the return flight with me anyway.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had wait times in line at immigration from 0 minutes to over 2 hours before. Plus there is the issue of delays; my last flight into LHR recently was late by over 2 hours (I'm still in England). I wouldn't feel comfortable with less than a 4-hour cushion, but that's just a personal preference.

You're looking at around 8 hours inbound and 9-10 hours on the return, so try to get some rest and don't forget your circulation exercises if you make this run. If you're only departing DFW it should net you 4,751 EQMs each way for a total of 9,502.

Also, try to obtain a UK landing card before you fly (you can probably get these at DFW). Many times the planes run out or don't have the forms, which leaves every pax running for the form tables at immigration. You can save time by having yours already on hand and filled out, and this will help you walk past everyone else. I grab some at UK and US sides so I always have a healthy stock of both on hand since I do this route so often.

3. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if you could treat this like a connecting flight and avoid customs all together?

Wandering Aramean and MSYgirl like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes, I forgot there is a separate tunnel/ramp for connections before you get to immigration. I haven't had to go through there before so didn't think of it.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. Just get your return BP before leaving DFW.

Gtitan and MSYgirl like this.
  6. filelover

filelover Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is what I was thinking of and wanted to confirm that it can be done. Want to be back on the 77W (hence the quick turnaround) so I can at least get MCE on the return as I ran out of my SWUs back in July.

MSYgirl likes this.
  7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have elite status, couldn't you reserve the MCE seat at booking? Or are you booking last minute?

8. filelover

filelover Silver Member

Status Points:
    No I meant I wanted to return on the 77W so I could get MCE. Returning on the later flights would mean being on a 777 which doesn't have MCE.

And yes it is a last minute booking - it is on hold now and I need to ticket it today for the flight on Saturday (but MCE seats already reserved)

MSYgirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, I understand. My return from LHR is currently slated for a 777, although I would much rather MCE on a 77W. I was supposed to have one on the way over but was redirected to MIA after the DFW ice storm and sent over on a 777.

10. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure have oh my Wandering Friend! Great advice as usual Seth!:cool:

bmg42000 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  11. filelover

filelover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just completed this trip. Got my BP at DFW for the return flight. The "transit" took about 15 minutes and with the return flight delayed ended up with about 2 hours in the Lounge. Now just 155 miles short of EP

12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    When connecting, there's no need to complete a landing card and clear immigration, even for a quick turn. Agree with having extras if frequenting UK airports. IME, DL, AA, and BA always have them, but Germanwings does not.

Glad you had a good trip - good luck the rest of the way to EP!