LHR Hotels or head back into London?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by stuartfla, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never have considered staying at either the Heathrow Marriott or the Heathrow Renaissance as I always stay at Grosvenor House or Chancery Court in London however I have an upcoming late flight in from AMS and an early morning departure to MIA the next day, therefore I am wondering how bad these two airport hotels could be for a brief overnight. I have seen very mixed reviews and wanted to see if anyone had recent experience with either?

TheIceTrojan and KimK like this.
  2. Zinzan
    Original Member

Zinzan Active Member

Status Points:
    I've no recent experience with either airport hotel (although the Marriott's a bit more modern than the Renaissance) , but for an early morning departure I'd go with either of the airport hotels rather than a central London hotel, purely because of the locational convenience. If time is tight in the morning, getting from central London could be fraught with delays (traffic, Heathrow Express, etc.), so I'd play it safe!

3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once had a short stay at LHR, and stayed in the Yotel cabin hotel inside T4. Cheap and actually reasonable for a shortish nap. Check it out here.

KimK and stuartfla like this.
  4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've not stayed at either but I've always heard the LHR Marriott was a bit nicer than the LHR Ren. Your mileage, as always, may vary. But really, if you're there for a quick overnight, a clean bed and bathroom are really the important things, right?

5. Zinzan
    Original Member

Zinzan Active Member

Status Points:
    Most likely - unless you also want to indulge in a bit of plane watching, in which case the LHR Renaissance has great views of runway 09L/27R![​IMG]

Mackieman likes this.
  6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a great point. I would sacrifice decor and room size for a single night layover stay for a good view of the runway.

7. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! That is an interesting option -good to know when missing late connections via LHR's efficient flight transfer que and outside of BA First lounges, alas no points for my programs though!

TheIceTrojan and KimK like this.
  8. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    This morning I left the London Renaissance Chancery Court just after 7 am, and even with a taxi to Paddington and catching the Heathrow Express, we were at LHR in just over 45 minutes. If you enjoy London, getting into the city isn't too hard, and getting out in the morning is a breeze.

TheIceTrojan likes this.
  9. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep no points, and it's not exactly a first choice if someone else is paying. In this case though, I arrived around midnight and had to be back through security by 5am, so it was perfect.

10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    The airport hotels (Ren and Marriott) are OK. Not great, OK. They are very convenient, and you can avoid the fee for the Hoppa by taking the local buses (free, stop outside hotels). Rates tend to be cheaper than in-town.

The Marriott is in better condition - the Ren was pretty tired the last time I was there. Lobby was redone a couple of years ago. The lounge in the Ren has a great view of the airport, you'll often find planespotters.

Given your situation, I wouldn't schlep back into the city. Besides the higher hotel price, you pay for either the Heathrow Express or take the long tube ride. I allow an hour+ for each to Grosvenor. I'd personally choose the Marriott LHR & take the local bus for free. But that's just me.

11. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    My two cents -if you have more then 8 hours from a LHR connection then go into the city - there is always a new place to dine or pub to try.

TheIceTrojan likes this.
  12. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would absolutely be a male thing! No interest spending several hours in a capsule.

TheIceTrojan likes this.
  13. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was just for sleep, literally; I definitely wouldn't hang around there!

14. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got that...still would not spend a night in there.... although the description of a "Monsoon Shower" sounds like a new take on rain showers or was it?

TheIceTrojan and stuartfla like this.
  15. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    I caught the monsoon shower description too!

KimK and TheIceTrojan like this.
  16. cr34102
    Original Member

cr34102 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've stayed at the Sheraton Heathrow, always snagged an early rate of about £55. It's nice enough, and it's on the free bus mentioned earlier. The terminal 5 free bus can also be taken to the nearby White Horse Pub:

http://oldenglishpub.com/default.aspx

which also promises free pickup/dropoff for local Heathrow hotels.

You can also pick up a return ticket for the Heathrow Hoppa if the weather looks like it might be bad.

Here's a website about the Heathrow Hoppa and the alternative free bus I found a while back:

http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm

stuartfla likes this.
  17. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Brilliant! Wonder if the free ride to and from the pub works for Heathrow itself - might be a nice option with a long delay when the lounge is not enough!

cr34102, KimK and TheIceTrojan like this.
  18. SVJ
    Original Member

SVJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have stayed a Ren. many times.
    Yes a little tired but great runway views from many rooms(small) or lounge, use free local bus and they recently added free drinks in lounge or (bar on weekends) for at least the platinum members.

19. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to chime in again - with the Chancery Court at most an hour (by tube) from LHR it is the no brainer to get even a short nite away in Central London if sorting Marriott branded lodging.

TheIceTrojan likes this.
  20. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. If I'm coming in late in the evening & leaving early in the morning, I can't think of one reason I would waste an hour each way + pay the costs of transpo + pay the extra of CC court (or any of the in-city properties), vs just staying at one of the airport properties. If one is arriving in early evening & plans on doing something, then I would agree. But late night arrival/early departure next morning - nah.

I frequently stay at LHR Ren when I've got an early morning flight (as I did earlier this week). It's literally 5 minutes from the airport, which makes to/from quite easy. The Marriott is 300 yards farther down the road.

The Ren is usually cheaper than the Marriott, so it usually wins out on the $$ part. You can usually get less expensive rates, especially on the weekend or with AAA.

Both are on the free bus circuit (take the 105, 140, 285, for example, from stand 19-20 at the central bus station at LHR).

Rooms are pretty small at Ren & yes they are tired. I regard them as an old familiar somewhat ratty bathrobe you wear anyway. Having said that, I've been told renovation on the rooms will start this year, but w/ 650 rooms it will take a while. Note, the rooms will probably still be small post- renovation.

The Ren lobby has been renovated, and there is a full Starbucks off of the lobby w/ cafe tables, etc, which opened recently. When you check in, you're asked if you'd like a glass of OJ or a glass of champagne while you check in. No idea if that's for elites only, or everyone. I took the bubbly :)

The Ren exec lounge, as mentioned, looks out over the runways. They have definitely beefed up the food offerings during the week. Huge brekkie offerings & same w/ evening. No light hors d' ouvres; you can literally make a meal out of both! They have free wine/beer in the lounge. An attendant will ask you what you'd like & bring it to you. Currently the lounge is not open for the brekkie/evening offerings on the weekend (shuts down after brekkie on Fri & opens up on Sun eve), but it is key accessible so you can get coffee, tea, soft drinks, and watch the runways. There are also 2 i-net terminals in the lounge.

A 5-10 minute walk from both the Ren & the Marriott is The Pheasant Pub, which gets good reviews from FT locals as well as folk who have stayed at both properties.

Cheers.

cr34102 likes this.
  21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for heading into London. The area around Heathrow is not that great- unless you head over to Amersham which is about 20 minutes away.

22. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Pheasant pub is great if you are staying at the Marriott or Ren Heathrow ... Really fun place and huge portions.

cr34102 likes this.
  23. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I won't ever go there again. I ended up with a dose of food poisoning. [​IMG]

24. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear that. I've been 3 or 4 times and really liked it ...

25. Bowdoin
    Original Member

Bowdoin Active Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at both hotels and the Marriott is a nicer hotel although you can sometimes get nice runway views from the Renaissance. Many of the rooms at the Marriott face the interior courtyard and so they can be a little noisy when a lot of folks congregate there. Frankly, I much prefer the Sofitel at Terminal 5 as far as airport hotels go. With all of that said, I still end up usually staying in central London even when I have to catch an early flight as I much prefer spending the evening in town rather than holed up in an airport hotel. The difference, in terms of time, is not that great and so I think it is a better option.