LHR - EZE: collect Avios or BD Destination Miles?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by oneluckybastard, Jul 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    I am flying to Buenos Aires with BA next month and was wondering how to allocate the miles earned. With the BD miles to Avios conversion being 1:1 and DC being more generous, am I better off adding my DC or BAEC account?

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing you may want to factor into this issue: How does the choice affect your status earning position?

For many, earning status is more important than earning miles (as some of us have miles coming out of our ears that we cannot use). But this won't be the position for others. So if all you're interested in is the miles, and you're going to get more BD miles than BA miles and you can convert your BD miles to BA miles later on a 1:1 basis, then the answer would seem to be obvious.

There's also one other significant thing to remember: you can convert BD miles to BA miles but not the other way around. So collecting BD miles retains your option (however theoretical) to redeem them for BD partner awards, while also leaving you the option of transfer to BA and redeeming for a BA partner award.

oneluckybastard likes this.
  3. oneluckybastard

Status Points:
    Thank you, that is what I thought. I have no chance of retaining EC Gold next year and am guessing that DC will no longer exist by this time next year either. So it is a straight case of maximising miles.

4. oneluckybastard

Status Points:
    Updating my own post:: BA award miles x 2 for EC Gold whereas BMI only give x 0,5 for a BA booking in O. 27k Avios and 80 Tier Points plays 6,75k Destinations and soon-to-be pointless Member miles. No contest...

5. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a paid CW ticket next month. I have no status with any airline. Provided I want to collect Avios (I am also considering AAdvantage miles), would I be able to get more Avios if I open a BD account, post BA flights there, and then convert to Avios? I can't easily find earning/conversion info on flybmi.com...

Thanks!

6. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    To answer my own question, it looks like with no status I would earn the same miles in either program.

Also it looks like AA only gives 100% miles flown in any class, while BA gives 150% for Club World. I think Avios it is.

7. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're right about the number of miles/Avios you'd earn in BA or BD - it's 150% of flown miles in either scheme. But if you collect them straight into BA, you'd be a long way towards getting some form of status: at least 280 tier points for the round-trip, which is just short of what you'd need for BA Bronze = OW Ruby (300 TPs needed). A cheapo-cheapo short round-trip on AA would get you the extra TPs you'd need to secure Bronze.

I believe that AA gives 125% of flown miles - see this page: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/british.jsp. Also, each mile counts as 1.5 EQP. However, if I understand AAdvantage correctly, I think you'd be much further away from any form of status if you were to do this. IAD-LHR-IAD, for example, is about 3,600 miles each way so the round-trip would earn you 9,000 AA miles and 10,800 EQP - but you need 25,000 EQP to get AA Gold = OW Ruby.

Having said all that, make sure you understand what you are letting yourself in for if you collect miles/Avios and then wish to redeem them. Many US-based people who don't do their homework in advance are later surprised that redemptions offered by a UK-based airline aren't carried out on the scheme model adopted by US airlines, and that they therefore sometimes have to pay significant amounts of cash in addition to miles to get an award ticket.

8. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's great, thanks for the pointer! It never occurred to me to look into BA status, I just assumed that the requirements are the same as AA, but clearly I was wrong. I do have a short segment on AA right after, so this would work.

Unfortunately I have no further plans to fly OW for the next 18 months, so the status would be cool but utterly useless. I'm not a frequent flyer anymore.

Does BA/OW status have any force on Alaska Air? That would be useful.

I do know how BA program works, thanks. I am going to have a ton of Avios from BA visa signup bonus, will use them for short relatively expensive flights. Unless I go for broke and get a couple of companion vouchers with BA Visa, and redeem for CW again. Except I'm afraid I won't find 4 CW award seats on the same flight SFO-LHR. May have to leave the kids at home again and fly to LHR twice ;)