LHR: Every 5th carry-on bag gets searched

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by Skye1, Oct 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/9622104/Tighter-security-sees-long-queues-at-Heathrow.html

Went thru T-3 a few weeks ago, the morning they started this, and they started it with no advance notice to front-line security staff. Every fifth bag was automatically counted (as it passed the x-ray machine) and pulled aside for manual search. Then, they only had (as they usually do) one or two staff per queue. Staff wasn't ready for it at all, and added an additional hour just to get airside.

And now, right about the time when staff have figured out how this will work, the UK half term kicks in from next week.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I came through T3 on Thursday, there were tables set up past the x-ray machines that I now assume were for this purpose. Fortunately, it did not seem to delay folks passing through security.

3. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they had tables set up just past the x-ray machines.
    Good to hear the delays may have gone down a bit, as have to do that dance again soon.

4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds dreadful! I hate having my luggage searched. I very carefully pack my bags to use every inch of space. When someone opens it and takes stuff out and puts them back or moves things around, it never fits and has to be jammed closed. A mess.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this for transfer security as well as main security?

The linked article said T5 was experiencing delays as well.