LHR Arrivals access policy

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pat+, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,

I'll be spending 5 hours at LHR on a layover in a couple weeks. Unfortunately, due to the new company travel policy, I'll be on an NC upgrade. There has been anecdotical evidence that the Arrivals Lounge at LHR welcomed NC pax as well as Z fare pax. Does anyone have any recent experiences to share? Is there an official documented policy anywhere?

2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got into the Arrivals Lounge as an NC pax, last March. When I handed over my boarding pass for IAD-LHR in C, the matron had a list with the various pax that should have access, and my name was on it. Since it's not run exclusively by UA, I've heard that it's easier to access the lounge.

This is what I posted, last March:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13567546-post154.html

3. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I fear the policy is that NC are not allowed in.

4. iluv2fly
    Original Member

iluv2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Evidence has shown during the past year that they are allowing non-GS NC pax into the lounge. I was with a companion last year and told her to expect not to be let in on NC (I am GS so I have access) and they let her in sans hassle (even without me asking).
    When I check in at ORD, an "Arrivals Invitation" is always printed out with my boarding pass, but to date I have never used/needed it at LHR.
    There is a list that they have at the reception desk and it seems that they do look at it when you arrive. I would just have my boarding pass ready to show them upon entering and see where that takes you.
    Bonne chance!

5. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on a D fare ORD-LHR and my seat mate was a 2P on an NC and he got in. This was last March and then they seemed very easy going. The lounge is also shared with SA, US, and BD, so I think they're more flexible than the UA operated Arrivals lounges.

Complete opposite of arrivals at ORD and SFO where they are very strict and you have to show arrivals invitation and its F, C,D, XF, and XC only, no A or Z. A guy from my former employer did HKG-SFO on an A fare and was denied, we couldn't figure out why until we saw he was ticketed in A.

6. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As far as the A fare, I feel that UA is being a bit tacky. Obviously, somebody that pays for an A fare is still handing them a large chunk of money. I suppose that they may be paying more than somebody in C/D.. Why not allow them access?

7. iluv2fly
    Original Member

iluv2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    If true (and I find this hard to believe), I totally agree. That would really suck. My A-fare to HKG last year was over 10 large.

8. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. Looking at the website, they say Full Fare pax, so I see where they may not allow Z fare, but A fare I do think that's stingy on UA's part unless his A fare was a heavily discounted corporate A fare (which could be very likely).

It's possible he had a dragon not playing by the rules, but she made a point to him that A was a "discounted fare" and only Full fare pax were granted access.

The person who this happened to has never flown UA internationally since then and will only fly SQ on TPAC from now on.

I wonder how others have fared on A fares or at ORD and if it's the policy at UA operated venues or dragon dependent.

LHR and FRA arrivals are not UA operated venues, so I can see where there is leeway for discounted fare pax.

9. Lucky
    Original Member

Lucky Silver Member

Status Points:
    The person that turns away someone on an "A" fare should be slapped...

10. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I priced out some "A" fares on .bomb, and ORD-LHR r/t came back as near $10,000.

11. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't tried in the past year, but I was turned away on an NC upgrade in '09. Flew iad-lhr twice last year as an NC and was never offered an invite.

12. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Odd. Perhaps the policy changed in 2010? I think we need somebody that is going to LHR in NC to attempt entry.

13. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be happy to be the guinea pig. Who's buying me the ticket??

14. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to see what happens once the CO UA integration is complete, CO BusinessFirst Pax have arrival "lounge" (Yotel) access at LHR no matter the fare class.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  15. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was admitted in March 2010 on an econ ticket upgraded to business. I'll be trying again this coming March and will post my results then.

16. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking forward to trying this out in March as well. Not sure I have a great need to stop there first but it seems the right thing for a MP'er to do!

Jeff

17. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the way it should be. The Yotel is pretty nice IMHO. IIRC you get f[​IMG]ur hous courtesy of CO.

jupper likes this.
  18. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    To close the loop here: I'm posting this from the Star Alliance Arrivals Lounge in LHR where I was promptly admitted without a single question upon presentation of my United Business boarding pass. I am on an upgrade. The lounge is smallish but service is top notch and the showers are nice. Looks like the official policy definitely doesn't apply to this lounge! :)

19. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    4 hours? Thats better than what DL offers... A whopping 1 hour :rolleyes:

Good thing, I had a room booked at the Yotel that night, because I had a flight out of LHR the next day, so they "combined" the DL hours with the hours I booked and I think I wound up with 1 or 2 hours "free" ^^

20. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume at LHR & FRA there are separate lounges: arrivals loune & Star Alliance & LH lounge. Where are the LHR & FRA arrivals lounges located?

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In FRA it is outside baggage claim to the right. It is a pretty nice lounge, actually. Dunno about LHR.

ande777emt and chitownflyer like this.
  22. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    At LHR, to get to the arrival lounge for UA, SA, BD, and BD, there's separate elevators which are at the far back wall near the stairs/escalators for the Heathrow Express/Connect. These elevators lead to floor 2, which is where the arrivals lounge is located.

23. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info.

24. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll add LHR seems pretty basic compared to the FRA Welcome Lounge, but ZRH Welcome Lounge is a real gem for arrivals lounges.

25. Britinva
    Original Member

Britinva Active Member

Status Points:
    I will be on an NC biz upgrade next week so hopefully I don't have any problems with the entrance to the lounge and will report back what I find. Based on above sounds positive though!