LHR *A Lounge Access

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Jslo, Sep 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am flying SQ into LHR T3 in Y, and then I have a long layover before departing T1 on UA in Biz class. From any research I can find, there really isn't a good "arrivals" option for *A into T3 in Y class, even if you are *G or 1K.

I'm thinking of transferring to T1 after arrival in T3, leaving my bags for the day at the small T1 bag keep near the entrance of the arrivals lounge in T1, and spending 5 or 6 hours in London via Heathrow Express. I have a 10 hour layover lol.

The ? is, can I get into the T1 arrivals lounge on a DEPARTING biz class ticket?(since I'm arriving on SQ in Y)-- OR is it better to just go back through security after i pick up my bags from the day bag check and then I would use the Star Alliance lounge in T1 past security AFTER I've been in London all day....does the *A lounge have showers?

Any thoughts? I've researched a bunch and broken it down to that...any help/experience appreciated.

2. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are flying SQ Y SIN-LHR then UA C LHR-xxx? Separate tix? You said you will have 10 hours connecting time at LHR. Are you arriving 6am and departing later that evening? If yes, you can do check-through your check-in bags at SIN to go all the way to your destination in the US. Thus you don't need to pick up your bag and store it.

3. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that may be a great idea! Check the bags all the way through. I could then just use my carry on for a change of clothes and some small toiletries, and use the *A lounge in T1 for a shower after chilling in London and before departure out of T1 on UA.

Although, can I leave the airport without my bag? Leaving my bag checked through and then my bag will stay airside? I suppose so as long as I have my onward boarding pass...LHR-XXX...

Am I thinking of this right?

4. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done this before. Took SQ from SIN which arrives very early am in LHR and check-through my bags all the way to YYZ. Unless there is a change in the rules, same day connecting at LHR still allow you to do check-through bag.

The next question you have would be how to go to T1 arrival. You will arrive at T3 on SQ. I know you can go to T1 departure by doing a transfer and showing your connecting flight proof. But I don't know how you go out from T1 departure level to arrival side, since I remember those are in separate secure area.

5. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if I arrive T3, and just leave/clear immigration and customs w/o my bag...then take the Heathrow Express to London Paddington on a return ticket- then when I leave London to come back to LHR I'll just ride it to T1 and check back in with my boarding pass, reclear security etc. I'll just bring a small carry on/duffle with me to London and back. Should work?

6. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: I was able to check my bag all the way to DEN at the Silk Air biz class desk in Phnom Penh. Worked very well even though there were 3 carriers and 4 flights.

-Deplaned in T3/cleared immigration
    -walked to T1 via signs/underground walkway
    -left my carry on at the "left baggage" stand for 5£
    -walked back down to the Underground and bought an unlimited day pass on the underground for 19£
    -enjoyed hours in London various sights
    -Picked up left bag
    -checked in and showered at *A lounge in T1 before the transatl flight

Easy peasy