LHR 10 hour layover

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Dorlee, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dorlee
    Original Member

Dorlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be flying ECP (Panama City, FL) - ATL -LHR - NBO. The connecting flight to NBO is on Kenya Airways. I was hoping to remain airside for the entire layover, to avoid having to go through LHR security. Is the Molton Brown spa airside? It looks like the Yotel is landside, but I can't quite understand if the Hilton Hotel in Terminal 4 is.

Also, at which terminal do inbound DL flights arrive and Kenya Airways depart? I will be in Bus. Elite, and wondered if DL has an arrivals lounge with showers. Would appreciate any suggestions.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The DL arrival lounge for BE is the Yotel.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton is landside too. With that many hours I'd opt to go through security. if you don't want to leave the airport area you can stay at any one of the hotels right beside the airport. Kenya Airways leaves from T4 and DL arrives there. That does make the Hilton most convenient, but it is a good ten minute walk along a corridor from T4. It is actually not in T4, just connected to T4.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the Hilton isn't anything special, unless you need some HH credits, I'd just use the Yotel and then the lounges or maybe the Yotel and then do something outside of the airport, perhaps go into some easily accessible part of London.

5. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you consider taking the Heathrow Express into the city ever?

milchap likes this.
  6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are showers in the SkyTeam lounge at LHR, which is airside in T4. You will have to pass through security at LHR, no ifs, ands, or buts. If you choose to remain in T4, follow the signs for flight connections, and you'll go through security and into T4. If you go landside, you will have to clear the UKBA and customs. Depending on time of day, the UKBA queue can be super-easy or super-painful. I'd say with 10 hours, hop on the Tube or Heathrow Express (the first is fairly cheap, but slow, while the second is rather expensive, but fast) and come into Central London. If you've never been, go to the British Museum and see the Rosetta stone and all the things they plundered from Egypt and Greece. (Note, the French plundered the Rosetta stone but then gave it to the British one time when they surrendered to them.) I can't imagine spending 10 hours sitting in T4, even if it is the SkyTeam lounge, when London is so easy to get into for a few hours.

7. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only downside to taking the tube is it takes ~55 min, so plan accordingly on your return as non-fast track security can take awhile.

The funny thing about this is their CEO/owner was featured in some of the initial *A advertising and branding campaigns.

8. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    But remember that the OP will be in BE, so they will have FastTrack. With FastTrack, I don't think the UKBA queue should be that bad.

One other option would be to hop in a cab and head over to Windsor to check out the castle. The town itself is also pretty pleasant. A bit closer than London, if you are concerned about the travel time to and from.

In general, I agree with others that 10 hours is too long at LHR. Even in T5, which has probably 3x the diversions of T4, I don't think I'd manage more than 3 hours or so, without going completely nuts.

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was what came to mind.... 15 minutes to Paddington and 15 minutes back to LHR. One hour to clear out and clear in to LHR leaves you with 8.5hrs to visit. You could even add another hour fudge factor to feel comfortable.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, depending on where you want to go in London, it can be simpler to just take the tube rather than switching to the subway at Paddington and then transferring again. It's sometimes too much hassle for the time you save or too expensive for the time you save, even if the Heathrow Express is more comfortable.

11. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason that I suggested the LHR Express is that the tube from LHR to downtown is about an hour.....

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know, but if it goes straight to where you're going, this can be a big advantage.

13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)
    I agree.

14. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    FastTrack can be hit or miss. The queues are set up so that FastTrack agents can take passengers from the regular queue if the FT one is empty, but the regular queue agents cannot take FT passengers even if the FT queue is three times as long as the regular queue. Arrive at the wrong time of day with a bunch of passengers with FT cards, and it can be better to get into the regular queue.

I love the idea of Windsor if OP doesn't want to go into Central London. The castle is amazing, the town is nice to walk around in, and there's the Long Walk into Windsor Great Park for some nice fresh air and open space. Doing the whole long walk is probably a bit much on this timeframe, but one could still walk a ways into the park, then come back and get a bite before heading back to LHR.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also like the idea of Windsor. It will be much more relaxing that dealing with the crowds and hassle of going into central London. However, before heading to Windsor you should check that there aren't any special events around there that day. Being stuck in a big traffic jam would not be good.

16. Dorlee
    Original Member

Dorlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to know how to get entrance to the Yotel, whether I used a boarding pass, or needed some other piece of paper. I also wanted to know how much time I was allowed to use the Yotel, and if there were any other charges. So, I checked the Yotel website, which stated: "check-in:18.00 till midnight" and "check-out: until 8:00." That doesn't seem to help me, as DL #272 from ATL arrives at 6:30am, and I was wanting to shower and change clothes upon arrival

After researching the LHR web sites, and the Yotel websites and not finding the answers to those questions, I called DL. I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a DL rep who informs me that the their website is incorrect, and BE passengers do not have access to the Yotel. He said his supervisor would see that the incorrect information is removed from the DL website. When I called, he had no idea what the Yotel was, and asked me to spell it. What is up with this?

17. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only thing that has changed for Yotel access AFAIK is that you used to get 2 hours there. Now you only get one free hour. All you need is your boarding pass. If you're in BE you get access regardless of elite level. Otherwise, DM's and PM's get the free hour of access as well. Yotel gets a copy of the manifest so they know who is supposed to have access. Don't worry about what delta.com or yotel.com says.

-RM

18. Dorlee
    Original Member

Dorlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for answering a question DL was totally unable to respond to. Do you happen to know if I can buy more hours at Yotel if I decide to stay longer?

19. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to. I think the minimum is 4 hours though, but the 2 hours may count toward it.

More info here

http://www.yotel.com/en/Hotels/London Heathrow.aspx

20. Andy
    Original Member

Andy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I managed to make my way into the Yotel as a PM, flying on AF metal connecting through CDG, but on a DL codeshare. It took them about 10 minutes of phone calls, but finally got it all sorted out. Unless you are planning on sleeping, I wouldn't really recommend the Yotel as a place to hang out. Great as a place to freshen up or catch some Zzz's, but otherwise the "cabin" is too small for an extended period of wakefulness (at least for me, and I'm generally not claustrophobic).

I'd definitely recommend a Heathrow Express or Tube ride into town on a 10 hour layover. My experience with security in T4 has always been pretty smooth, but that might just be luck. If you are there on a weekend, there are a number of great markets in London. Or all of the national museums are just a few blocks up the road from the South Kensington tube stop (Picadilly line - same one that goes to Heathrow).

Dorlee likes this.
  21. Econ101
    Original Member

Econ101 Active Member

Status Points:
    How is the SkyTeam lounge at LHR? I recall reading somewhere that it was one of the better Delta lounges, but if anyone can elaborate that would be great.

22. Andy
    Original Member

Andy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only spent about 30 minutes there, but it was definitely one of the best I've seen. Great food spread (I had a pretty full breakfast). I think I read somewhere higher in the thread that there are showers as well.

Dorlee likes this.
  23. Econ101
    Original Member

Econ101 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, my flight from LHR to BOS leaves around 10 am, so knowing there is a good breakfast is helpful!

DeltaExpert likes this.
  24. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let us know how you like it!

25. Econ101
    Original Member

Econ101 Active Member

Status Points:
    Will do, but the flight isn't until July.. just getting the info now!