LH: revamp of 744 cabin - finally!

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Brocki, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Brocki

Brocki Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    I just saw the following press release from Lufthansa: http://presse.lufthansa.com/en/news-releases/singleview/archive/2011/march/09/article/1888.html . They will update the F cabin including lie-flat bads at the window seats. Furthermore, they will also update the C and Y cabin. The Y-cabin will finally receive IFE! With IFE and new seats in Y a LH 744 flight could become attractive again (I think it's the same with the new F-class for other customers).

Does anybody know where we can find a schedule of the upgrade? Or a plan which plane is upgraded and is used on which route?

cockpitvisit likes this.
  2. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    A 744 in Y has always been more attractive than an Airbus in Y, because it flies faster. The difference is almost one hour on long flights. An IFE does not justify an extra hour of suffering in Y, and a lack of IFE means no legroom is taken by these horrible IFE boxes. Also, a 744 is much quieter in the back than a 330.

Now if they would stop showing stupid movies on the overhead monitor and would simply have the airshow on during the whole flight, it would be a near perfect Y product.

Am I missing something?

EuroAsiaFlyer and AHN like this.
  3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will the IAD-FRA route have new seating by June? I am flying LH419 (747-400). Right now I have seats 83 A and C.

My return will be MUC-ORD in an A340-600 in 2 D and G.

Far as I can tell, even if the seating is not the newest it will be better than most, if not all, business class seats.

That statement sounds like a troll inviting you to defend your favorite business class seat. It isn't. That's just my recent limited experience talking.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH First is better than any business class seat I have ever been in. It is valid that the current F is quite old (~10 years IIRC), however the combination of the service, the quiet cabin, and the overall comfort make this pretty much the best way you can get between continental Europe and the USA with the exception of a private aircraft.

5. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're missing two things:

the configuration on a 744 is 3-4-3 whereas the A330/A340 has 2-4-2. Much less chance of being stuck in a middle seat on the Airbus!

The Airbus cabin somehow seems roomier. Perhaps it's also because of the configuration, but somehow the ceiling seems higher and the lighting is different. The 744 seems a lot more cramped.

That, and IFE is a good way to distract yourself from the pain, and should not be underestimated.

Oh, and I dispute your claim that a 744 is quieter than an A330 - I find it too be the other way around. And the A340 is even quieter.

Y is never nice, but I'll take Y on the Airbus fleet over Y on the B747 any day!

6. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    The chance is slightly less (25% vs. 40%), but with the advance seat reservation, the chance is remote anyway - at least when traveling by myself. I agree that 2-4-2 is better for couples traveling together.

You are right, Airbus seats seem to be slightly wider. As for the ceiling, I don't care much about that. I spend most of my time in Y either sleeping or relaxing with my eyes closed, or working on my laptop.

Sorry, I don't believe this at all. My first noise cancelling headphones were cheap ones from AKG that I bought at Saturn. They worked well on a 744 outbound flight, but as I was sitting in one of the last rows on a A330 on the return, they could no longer filter out the noise and only produced loud clicks. I had to buy noise-cancelling Sehnheiser headphones onboard. Maybe things are different in the front rows of the Y section, but the Airbus engine noise seems to propagate better through the wings.

Also when I sit in the front of the plane and walk back in to the Y section, the A330 seems to be louder. Are you sure the A330 noise doesn't appear quieter because of the loud IFE in your headphones? ;)

7. I second that ;-)

8. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Forgive me if this was mentioned before, but one thing that stood out to me is that they are retrofitting F with new seats on the 747 but according to the announcement, LH is still using 17 inch monitors. Given what LH's competitors are doing, and the fact that there are only 8 seats, it's surprising LH isn't using larger screens....

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that the current monitors in F are 6", I am sure the 17" will be really welcomed.

kwai likes this.
  10. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize that the current monitors are so small; I completely agree that 17" will be a major improvement, but that size still seems small compared to some of LH's competitors. I wonder why they chose not to make themselves competitve since they were doing a retrofit anyway...

11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points: