LH Lounge Access

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by wilkinsonmd, Apr 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. wilkinsonmd

wilkinsonmd Active Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know what the access policy is for United Club members in the Lufthansa Lounge? I have a handy app called Lounge Buddy that says I receive access and may bring 1 guest even when traveling on a domestic economy ticket. That just doesn't sound right to me though. If it's true, that's AWESOME because the LH Lounge is waaaaay better at IAD.

Newscience and TAHKUCT like this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct as long as you have UA Club card and have Star Alliance same day ticket.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Key is flying on *A metal from the local airport, unlike the UClub where you can get in anytime you want.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    As IAD also has UA Clubs, it's surprising to learn that LH would admit you to their lounge if your flight is on UA metal. At IAD, I've visited the LH lounge when I've flown on LH or OS, and the UA lounge when travelling on UA. For the most part at IAD, long-haul flights on these airlines are situated near to their respective lounge (LH and OS near the LH lounge, and UA near the UA lounge).

gregm and TAHKUCT like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! there is little comparison between the UA and LH lounges at IAD (or elsewhere); LH wins hands-down!

One recent development at the IAD LH lounge that you may want to note is an observation from my visit there last month. The lounge was "standing room only" during my visit, as the entire area directly to the right upon entrance, and across from the food service (with bar stools and lounge chairs) was roped off, with a sign that only business/first class passengers were permitted entry.

gregm and TAHKUCT like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My recollection is that the UC lounge at IAD is also quite full most of the time.

Anyway, with a UC membership, one can enter most, but not all (e.g., SQ), *A lounges even if not departing on *A carrier. At FRA, one is allowed to enter the LH business lounge with a UC membership but not the LH *G lounge, which is a bit better...unless, of course, one is *G in which case one has the option of either...

Newscience likes this.
  8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. From http://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits/status-benefits/lounge-access-policy/

TAHKUCT and NYCUA1K like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for correcting the piece of mis(information) about the UC membership being good even if one were not departing on a *A flight. I had assumed, wrongly, based on what a SQ agent had told me in SIN, after denying me access to their business lounge. I was in SIN on my way to DPS on Qatar, so I could not get into the SQ *G lounge. Then I tried their business lounge with my UC membership and I was turned down because the rule for the SQ business was different in that they do not let in anyone with other lounge memberships (see footnote in rules below). The reason provided was right but incomplete: had it been another *A carrier's business lounge, I would also still have had to be leaving on *A carrier! Anyway, the agent still granted me access because he felt sorry me after I told him that I had a 3-hr wait time.:cool:
    In SIN, one has no access to SQ business lounges using another *A carrier's lounge membership. Period.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    Newscience and TAHKUCT like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is roped off for HON/First, not business (they go downstairs; SEN and *G stay upstairs) and there are many seats and the bar area still open for others even when the HON/F area is being used. If upstairs is too crowded try downstairs, but the HON/F area is well less than 20% of the space upstairs in the SEN lounge.

This is incorrect. A UClub member requires proof of same-day travel on *A metal from the current airport for any LH lounge access. So does *G-based access to any LH-operated lounge. Without a local *A boarding pass access is limited to UClubs. It used to include US clubs but they're no longer a partner.

11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A great post, NYCUA1K! FWIW, I've also experienced that the "gatekeepers" at some overseas lounges are more amenable to occasionally admit someone who might otherwise not gain access. As *A gold, I've travelled with 2 colleagues who lacked lounge access, and have at times been able to bring both of them with me into overseas *A lounges at overseas airports. I can't imagine this happening at any lounge here in the US.
    Newscience

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A day late and a dollar short. Someone had already beaten you to it; please see this post and my admission of error.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    Flyer1976, TAHKUCT and Newscience like this.
  13. wilkinsonmd

wilkinsonmd Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all! This is great hidden gem to try out next time I go through IAD.

TAHKUCT likes this.