LH: Half the seats missing upstairs in F...?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by zbender, Mar 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zbender
    Original Member

zbender Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a F award redemption, I was efficiently and courteously :) advised by the Lufthansa agent:

"Sir, you cannot sit in 83H and 83K: this aircraft configuration only has C and H, and you are already sitting there".

...really!? The windows are blocked, or they don't exist?

They show as "greyed-out" on the seatmap on the LH site. I'm curious, as SeatGuru/SeatExpert etc don't have a diagram that shows that. Yes, indeed, I asked this same question obliquely on FlyerTalk...

ralfkrippner likes this.
  2. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    And you didn't get an answer? There should be plenty there, as well as here. ;)
    What's your handle there?

ralfkrippner likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Lufthansa is only selling/assigning 8 seats in the cabin on the upper deck of the 747, even though the aircraft generally has 16.

The new configuration cabin will have only 8 seats (2x2, each with both a seat and a bed apparently). They won't be on a single dedicated route, no way to know in advance at this point for sure if you're getting the new configuration and it'll take awhile to retrofit the fleet.

But in the meantime they are only assigning 8 seats. So 2 passengers could sit across the aisle from each other and have 4 seats across! And of course you can sit together. By reserving 83 H you get 83 H/K. At least that's the current understanding. I suppose there could wind up being reports of oversold flights with folks moved up from C and that'll then be pretty annoying to folks who expected to get 2 seats to themselves. Don't know if that'll ever happen but I suppose it could. In general though you're good to go! :)

ralfkrippner likes this.
  4. zbender
    Original Member

zbender Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same handle.

Thanks for the link: very interesting.

And, now that I have read http://j.mp/flNr07 I see that the booking will be most likely "bed and seat" for us both. Now the dilemma: give up Row 83 and go to Row 81 for more privacy? :)

5. zbender
    Original Member

zbender Silver Member

Status Points:
    After looking at http://j.mp/flNr07 I assume that Row 83 will be "bed, seat / seat bed", but that Row 81 will be more private.

Thanks for the info: appreciated, as always gleff.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Here's the relevant passage:
    When are you flying?

"By winter...ten.. will be fitted with the new First Class"

There's no way to know up front if you will have an aircraft with new first class or not. Odds are against. You'll probably just have two seats to yourself.

7. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    What route are you flying?

8. zbender
    Original Member

zbender Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH404, FRA-JFK.

9. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may have been too oblique. ;)

10. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    When introduced, my guess is that JFK-FRA would be among the first routes to get the refitted 747 with the new F.

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to say at this point where the new F planes are going to end up- and also where the planes that will be configured only C/Y are headed to (although a very safe bet they will not end up on the JFK route- all C/Y 744 that is).

12. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I see it, the seatmap really only shows 8 seats upstairs, even on those birds that are not yet reconfigured to the seat+bed version. So I don't think it's possible for LH to assign two pax to A+C or to H+K. I would compare it to their intra-european biz with free middle seat. In the rows that are designated to biz the middle seat vanishes from the seatmap and it can't be assigned to anybody, even in an oversold situation.

13. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Evening:
    My wife and I will be flying First Class out of LAX to Frankfurt next week .
    We originally had seats 83C and 83A.
    I still have 83C but my wife was moved to 83H.
    The same is true on the return flight 2 weeks later.

14. zbender
    Original Member

zbender Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oblique is my middle name.

15. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    The two times I've flown LH F on the 747 I've sat in row 83. I currently am reserved there for an upcoming flight.

The question: is row 82 now considered to be a better seat?

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Kwai- you will still have more legroom in 83. I don't think there is any real discernible difference now between rows 81-83- row 84 if you are in seat C there is a bit of noise and light from the galley and close to bathroom door- however very minimal- splitting hairs almost so-to-speak. I would stay with 83.

kwai likes this.
  17. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the crew seats and drink setup in front of 83 I was thinking that 82 might be more private now.

My flight in 3 weeks time should be nice, but as a window person I'm gonna miss out on nice views.

Thanks for the response. :)

18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    From a privacy perspective- I suppose 82 is a little bit better- however the crew seat in front of 83C is only occupied for takeoff/landing, and the drinks area is not really all that busy with only 8 pax max in the cabin :)

Regarding the window seat- I think you can still sit in it- the plane won't have been converted yet as far as I know- they have just reduced the inventory.

kwai likes this.
  19. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I'll keep them busy. :D

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy Kwai!

kwai likes this.
  21. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    My fiance and I are booked on a 747 from Boston to FRA in September so I suspect we'll have the old seats. . . but I can always hope!

The one thing that I found odd is that although we were originally seated next to each other in row 83, when the configuration changed to 1 person per row, I was bumped to seat 81 while my fiance remains in row 83. I wonder why they did that...

I gather the consensus is that row 81 will give more privacy but row 83 still has more leg room? I'm leaning towards 81 just because we no longer have to worry about climbing over each other if we want to get up in the middle of the (sadly too short) flight...

Now I'm just hoping that LH will announce that they will start serving premium champaign!!:)

22. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering something similar, but more that 82 might be the more preferable as there's a lav in front of 81.

Yes, the champagne is an improvable situation.

23. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    My early May LH 404 has been switched to an A346. Guess I have another cabin/crew to keep busy. :D

24. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day: Was in First Class on LH 457 on 4/5 and LH 456 on 4/20. Over 8 First Class seats had been sold on both flights so the new 8 First Class Seat Policy was not in effect. Asked about the upcoming changes on the 747 First Class Seat Policy the purser and the flight attendants on both flights did not have any information. They only confirmed the new policy was to take effect on 4/22.

25. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I hear and read the policy is indeed switched now to only 8 F seats on the 747. Only one or two of the planes did yet get the design makeover with the fixed bed at the window position. All other planes just have one of the two seats in the fully flat position covered with a kind of mattress and new pillows and covers.