LH F Awards

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by kilton, Jan 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kilton

kilton Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

Anyone got the scoop on the new rules for LH F award bookings? I've read conflicting versions of the story:

1) People without M&M status can no longer get F awards.
    2) People without M&M status can now only "request" F awards rather than book them, but I don't know what "request" means or how it works (especially via *A).
    3) People without M&M status can only book F awards 1-2 weeks in advance.

Any know?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Right now they seem to be releasing awards only as travel approaches, most of the time on most routes.

In order to put in a request you need to have status I believe.

But at least close to departure they're releasing F even to partners and even on the A380 eg FRA-NRT/PEK.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. domas

domas Active Member

Status Points:
    I understand I'm talking upgrade awards here, but still, shows a bit how M&M F awards work :)

I had two stories, I'm usually flying VNO-FRA-SFO roundtrips, LH454 metal westward, UA900 or UA926 metal eastward (VNO connection peccularities). Usually there's _NOTHING_ I can do in VNO, as ground handling/ticketing/phone is handled by a local company, who have "ask for this in Frankfurt" for pretty much every request, and priority baggage handling happens only in 50% of cases :)

Still, once I book C-cabin tickets, I call one of Western Europe numbers to do any adjustments. In my previous journey I asked to be waitlisted for F, they did restructure my ticket (whatever it meant), though I didn't see any changes online. Once I showed up at VNO, they again couldn't do anything (they don't see any waitlists or anything). At a desk in FRA I got F upgrade, pity though, it was tarmac arrival (though they seem to fly A319/A320/A321 at 95% load factor)...

For my next flight (I booked ~16 days in advance) LH didn't offer F upgrades westward, but offered eastward upgrade on UA metal for 65k (with no F lounge access? meh). After phone call I saw waitlist request online - seat selection screen showed only 2 out of 8 seats occupied. I selected a seat and after two days I got it confirmed, with 50k miles taken away and O segment issued.

Not a frictionless experience for Senator, on the other hand, I'm riding F on their most prized offering with two week advance booking - they're using 747s with fixed beds on this route, best F ever ;-)

P.S. I really really wished they understood how bad is +370 senator number. Few hours before FRA flight departure in the middle of the day they don't even pick up the phone, and if they do, they ask to be called later, as they're too busy at that time. Not that they can do much.

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    There definitely is something going on with F awards since it is getting impossible to book them far in advance using Aeroplan miles. In fact, the AE site doesn't even show LH F awards when these can be seen on the CO or NH sites. This is worse than UA's rumoured STARNET blocking. And frustrating particularly when we know these seats will be released a week or two prior to flight time. Particularly frustrating for me since I had had an LH F seat booked FRA-BOS and the flight was downgraded to a C seat. LH has refused to open up an F seat on any other flight to the US east coast that day (at least according to AE) or any other. This while the CO site shows F award seats on several flights, but the AE site doesn't! Am on UA in F -- yech -- and hoping the LH flight to IAD will open up.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:

1) People without M&M status can no longer get F awards.

LH has simply reduced availability, but seats show up about 2-4 weeks prior to flight. I am not aware of a policy change. Look at LX for options. More of their F seats have been opening. The reason for this simple. LH went from 16 F seats in a cabin to 8 since each pax now gets 2 seats. 1 to sit in, and 1 that becomes a bed. So in essence they took out half the inventory. Thereby restricting/removing F availability for redemption since they basically cut their inventory in half. There's still LH F out there, you just have to look deeper, and closer to your departure date. Advice is to book C, get on the flight, and hope that F opens.

2) People without M&M status can now only "request" F awards rather than book them, but I don't know what "request" means or how it works (especially via *A).

Thats another one I haven't heard of. A lot of this stems back to the fact that LH simply reduced inventory, which will make it harder to get that F seat.

3) People without M&M status can only book F awards 1-2 weeks in advance.
    Same reasons as my answer in #1

Bluto and ducster like this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Remember, no one is entitled to F seats for free if LH deems so. They can always be purchased if one wants them bad enough.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    PLENTY OF INVENTORY:

Example Date : March 6

LH F available from NYC, ORD, CLT, IAD.......

Through CO.com

No need to panic.......

8. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't looked in about a month, but I was finding just what you posted above. I did notice that the availability on some 744 routes was opening up for non-M&M later than it had last summer. Routes that had 6+ empty F seats a few months ago weren't becoming bookable until 3-7 days before travel (if at all), whereas in the summer they were opening up at 2 weeks, almost like clockwork. In my searches, the availability on CO.com and ANA matched pretty well with each other.

I just wanted to add one little note to your point in #1. The reduction from 16 to 8 F seats was only on the 744; on the Airbuses, it stayed the same, also 8. That said, I have noticed the greatest reduction in availability to be on the 744, especially SFO-FRA, where it essentially is gone. On the other hand, SFO-MUC, on the A346, has availability almost every day next week in F.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think the A380's came out of the gate with 8 seats right? I know that LH adopted the seating charts for all F cabins based on the A380.

10. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's right- 8 seats on the A380 from the get-go.

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excuse me but I certainly am entitled to a similar seat to the one that was unilaterally taken from me. My contract with my award program says so, as does the passenger protection code of the EC. And BTW the F seat is not free because it has been purchased by Aeroplan on my behalf using the miles that I earned spending my own money. I suggest you better understand the concept of award programs.

12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    here we go again.....:rolleyes:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO.com shows availability in F on a lot of dates but it doesn't book... just a heads up to everyone. Everyone should double-check by using the ANA tool and confirming the F space before calling..

ducster and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    noticing tonight, even though it shows in the F column, its bringing up as C fares. It used to have "mixed cabin" disclosure on the search results screen, but thats not the case right now.

ducster and Jimgotkp like this.
  15. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. How do you check on the ANA tool when it's a flight within 7 days? I think I read somewhere that it's doable, but I've never been able to make it work.

16. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question. I didn't know that since I use KVS to check the availability for me and I just checked a random flight <7 days and it seems to work.

ducster and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  17. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reverse the route and search. The outbound will show the error but the return segment (the one you're looking for, will work).

So if you were wanting LAX-MUC, search for MUC-LAX tomorrow and then look at the return portion of the results. ;)

SK2868, Bluto and ducster like this.
  18. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    It works!! You sir are a genius.