LH and international premium eco

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by ralfkrippner, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH usually is not the first airline to offer a new product. But with all the competition now offering a more or less consistent premium eco it's time to think about it IMO. Premium eco is a product fitting to current times. Some customers may switch their travel policy down from biz to prem eco - but many companies might allow prem eco instead of regular eco also.

If such a product would offer 10-15 cm more legroom, two armrests for every seat, a bit better recline and inseat power and video on demand I would absolutely willing to pay up for the fare. AF and BA offer discounted prem eco starting at about 2x or 3x the fare of discounted eco or abot a bit less than half of cheapest biz and I find this a fair price.

What do you think about such a product in general and if LH can keep out of this new market.

kiwi likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Premium economy on some airlines is quite good (better seat food wine and ground service), but for some it is only a slightly greater pitch than regular economy (eg British Airways).

3. totti
    Original Member

totti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea if they can really keep out of this fairly new market in the future but at least there is evidence that LH can still market their outdated C seat as a great product. And when they introduced the "new C" they had obviously no real pressure to retrofit the entire fleet all too fast and when they were done the "new C" was already outdated again... LH has some very loyal customers and there doesn't seem to be much pressure to change things in the near future.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems those that provide the best premium economy tend to have no first and a better business class (= more space to differentiate between economy, premium economy and business).

ralfkrippner likes this.
  5. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is really interesting, but LH always sells an outdated product at high prices.

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    That depends on where you buy your fares from [​IMG]

7. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    point taken, but not all are crazy like we are.

8. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    With DL now implementing prem eco on all routes this summer, LH should at least consider offering it on routes to the US with lots of competition. You now have the choice to fly prem eco on routes from europe to the US on UA, DL, NZ, BA, AF, KL, SK. I don't know about AA, EI, IB.

9. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure hope not, premium economy would mean the end of op-ups and upgrades from Y to C :)

And anyway, LH could just market the few front rows of Y as PE (without replacing seats) and still sell them [​IMG]

kiwi and NewbieRunner like this.
  10. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    But this would be no benefit for us as passenger.

11. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think LH is going to sell the exit rows seats soon (after having OS as a testbed again) and offers them as "premium economy".

12. totti
    Original Member

totti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not here about IB and AA but it may well be that they change their policy. Still, German customers seem to be especially price sensitive and I am not so sure if there is a real market for Y+ ex Germany.

13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really hope not.

14. I feel like LH is a very slow follower in regard to such trends. It will come in maybe five years when other airlines have already shifted to a completely new and different product. But LH will be very good in marketing it as an innovation! :)

15. FLYGVA

FLYGVA Active Member

Status Points:
    It might only be me, but if you have an all Y company police, you can attract a few company people. And I pay for United Economy Plus, just to be on the safe side and get access to this seats. BA is in terms of fares for Premium Economy.
    Regarding the fare I paid for Y to HKG / SIN in May, Premium Economy on BA would have been the same. Since an Op Up is nice, but I would not count on it and I really can't justify to pay C out of my own pocket as well as my comany would not pay for it at all, having a Premium Economy is becoming a point in the decision which airline / alliance I choose.

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree in this sense it may be a good policy- I think the concern is that customers currently flying C will downgrade to Economy + (or their companies will tell them to do this)- not sure if this is valid or not. I would certainly use an Economy+ type product for shorter daytime flights- i.e. FRA/JFK- where I would still have enough space and privacy for work and I don't need anything more with a flight time of 7 hours. I would not use an Economy+ type product to Asia.

This could be a use for all those "Old C" seats LH has :)

17. I think that an Y+ product might attract additional revenue from the regular Y travellers. Currently, there's not much incentive to spend any more then the "economy basic" price for those not really in the market for regular business fares.
    Additional seat pitch and on board amenties are a cheap way to boost up revenue. With a medicore product like United, guaranteeing a seat for elites might also boost loyalty.

18. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lufthansa has had a Premium Economy cabin for years - They just call it Business Class ! [​IMG]

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  19. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    ROFL

20. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    ALL CAPS TEST

21. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have for some time wondered if premium economy (and I mean a true step above Y, and not UA's E+ - perhaps something on the lines of domestic F) would merely cannibalize C pax.

Is there any publicl available data relating to BA's experience when they introduced premium economy?

22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't consider BA premium economy to be a true step above economy. Qantas or Air NZ (747 only, not 777) would be a better guide as their premium economy is worth paying more for in its own right (not just as a cheaper way to upgrade into business).

23. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    TBH LH econ seats are unbearable (esp ex LAX/SFO.. and FRA-SIN), bring on E+.
    I spoke to a LH FA in F a few weeks back (FRA-SIN) and she mentioned that A) flights to SYD were in the pipeline (60% of guests in F were flying on to MEL) and that B) 'not only will there me amazing changes with the upperdeck, but you might notice something in economy too..." stressing the dot dot dot... So who knows what will happen with the onset of the 748.. but I am pretty sure it will be UA econ+ esque...

24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be great if LH rolls out flights to Australia- but given the current pricing- can they even break even on such a route?

25. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    well flights usually hover around the 2000 mark with SQ, so it should be manageable... she seemed quite sure, and it is true that a majority of travellers through SIN on LH continue on with SQ227 to MEL or 228 to SYD anyways...