LH 343 (seat guru version 2 34P?) old first class seats sold as business???

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by cwebb86, Sep 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cwebb86
    Original Member

cwebb86 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Soon to be flying LH 427/426 PHL-FRA-PHL. LH seat map shows rows 1 and 2 also available as business class, but only with 4 seats per row (A, D, G, and K).
    LH reservations confirmed that there is no First Class on this plane. Does this mean that rows 1 and 2 seats are really the old first class seats sold as business class (and obviously with service as business)? Seems like these seats were early selected and quickly taken both ways.
    LH seat map for seat selection does indeed match with seat guru version 2 (34P) with business as rows 3 and 4 and 10-16.
    Any experience or guidance? Thanks :confused:

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes- F class seats sold as Business.

3. cwebb86
    Original Member

cwebb86 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - was hoping that this was the case. I snagged 2 D/G for spouse and me on outbound and 1 D/G on return. Seat guru says these seats are true lay flat (180 degree recline) and in my experience, true lay flat are FAR SUPERIOR to the 165 degree angled lay flat that the rest of the business cabin has.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before everyone gets excited about this discovery, note that LH blocks forward seats for elites in their business class (and coach) cabins, so these seats probably require LH SEN or HON status (or maybe *A Gold, especially if you get a nice phone agent) to assign in advance.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    SEN/HON can definitely book these seats- * Gold can sometimes as well. It is not that many flights anyway that have an F cabin and don't sell it- where it does exist however it is a more comfortable seat.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's also the nose of the LH 747, the first four or five rows of intraEU flights, and IIRC the small J/C cabins on other long hauls, even those these are all just regular business class seats.

Not all airlines restrict business class seating to elites over those who have purchased (full) business class fares as an elite benefit. For instance, NW blocked some seats but DL does not.

7. cwebb86
    Original Member

cwebb86 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just returned from trip, and wanted to report back. After the October 30 schedule change, the seats in rows 1 and 2 on the A340-300 PHL-FRA-PHL will be sold as F. Yes indeed these were 'old' first class seats with 180 degree recline and fully flat bed. Not real comfortable though, because a bit too hard, and service was the pedestrian business class service as anticipated. And to correct something above, I booked these as business class award tickets, using US Air miles (200,000 total for 2 seats, round trip/open jaw (PHL-FRA-PRG and BUD-FRA-PHL). I have NO STATUS with US Air nor any other star Alliance carrier. Perhaps the US Air ticket rep coded my ticket wrong. I was originlly seated in rows 4 and 5, but was able to change the seats on the LH seating charts using my record locater. Certainly was a good use of the miles, though.

8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update! Maybe there weren't many SENs or HONs and *Gs on your flights so the seats were available for selection.

lwkatya likes this.