LGA Transportation To Midtown on Sunday Evening & Back Saturday Morning?

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by web1b, Jun 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. web1b

web1b Member

Status Points:
    First, if you don't have bags, how long after landing to allow to deplane and walk to curb? 15 minutes?
    For instance if my plane is scheduled to arrive at 6PM, should I ask a car service to pick me up at 6:15?

I'm arrive around 6PM and leave around noon the following Saturday and I'm going to be staying in a hotel about a 1/2 mile from Gran Central Station so I see options of:

Take NYC Airporter $23 round trip to Gran Central Station and walk the rest of the way to the hotel.
    Potential problems of not being able to get on due to overcrowding (already full when it gets to my pickup point) and delays:
    johnnyjet web site "why-i-wont-take-nyc-airporter-again/"

Hire a car service door to door for $34 plus 7.50 toll = $41.50 (round up to $45 or $50 w/tip?) so that is $90-$100 round trip).

Take taxi each way (taxi fare plus toll plus tip) maybe $30-$40 ($70 both ways) with tolls and tips, but may have to wait around in taxi line for who knows how long?

What is the best option for weekend evenings and mornings?
    $23 round trip for NYC Airporter seems like a good deal, but it won't be if I have similar issues to what was described in the link I posted above. I would not mind waiting up to 30 minutes worst case scenario if I happened to just miss their most recent departing van when stepping out to the curb from the terminal and if they truly have available vehicles every 30 minutes, but much longer than that I would rather pay more to be on something more reliable.

Is there a Supershuttle or something else that is cheaper than car service and taxi, but more reliable than NYC Airporter?

canucklehead and MX like this.
  2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which hotel? Or just give us the intersection or address where it is for more specific directions.

You can take the M60 SBS city bus from LGA to 125th St/Lexington Ave, connect there to the downtown 4 or 5 subway to Grand Central Station/42nd St. With a metrocard, transfer between bus and subway are free, so it's one fare of $2.50 + $1.00 fee for the metrocard, but you can load more money on it or even get a 7 day unlimited metrocard if you are going to be there for a week. The M60 is SBS service, which means you pay before you board even if using a metrocard to pay. (Select Bus Service, certain routes have it, and SBS includes pre-pay stations, dedicated bus lanes in certain parts of the routes, etc.) You just swipe your metrocard once at the pre-pay station. I think it gives you a receipt. Then you will swipe again at the entrance to the subway, but it won't charge you again for the transfer.

M60 Schedule is here: http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/manh/m60scur.pdf
    SBS info here: http://web.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/whatis.htm

At LGA, Hudson News sells metrocards and there's supposedly some metrocard vending machines.

Subways on weekends are usually full of service changes etc, in the worst case you might have to make all local stops between 125th St and Grand Central, but that's not that terrible. Usually there's express service, which just makes a couple of stops between 125th and Grand Central/42nd St. It's maybe 5 - 10 minutes longer if you have to make all local stops.

Subways can be crowded at all time, ridership is at record levels. Traveling with a rollaboard is doable, you will have to look for the wheelchair logo to find the accessible entrance or use the stairs. Both 125th St and GCT are accessible stations, but you have to look for the logos to find the entrance/exit/route to take. Easy to do if you know what to look for and it's working.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    canucklehead likes this.
  3. web1b

web1b Member

Status Points:
    The hotel is on W 45th between 5th Ave and Avenue of the Americas.

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the M60 bus there is also the Q70 bus which will take you to the Roosevelt Ave/74th station where you can get an E F R or 7 train, one of which will get you close to any hotel in Manhattan.

I would do bus/subway ahead of the NYC Airporter

If you want taxi or car service, a car service will be willing to use the Queensboro Bridge which doesn't have a toll. (For whatever reasons, most taxi drivers will lie and tell you that it's closed for construction or there's been an accident, and force you take either the Triboro Bridge or Queens Midtown tunnel, each of which add not just the toll but also mileage). So if you can get a deal on car service that's better than a taxi. Car service will figure out when to meet you or you call them when your plane has landed and tell them you already have your baggage. One is Dial 7.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    7 train has a stop called Fifth Ave, which is at 42nd St between Fifth & Sixth Aves, and the F train has a stop at 42nd St on Sixth Ave.

The 7 often has weekend service changes, so make sure you check out www.mta.info. You can put in an advanced date and see what changes are planned.

LIH Prem likes this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint web1b!

I would seriously consider taking bus/subway into the city since it is a reasonable hour. Q70 bus and either E,7 or F will get you close to your hotel in about 45-50min. A taxi ride will be about 30 min, possibly more during rush hour.

For your return to LGA, you may wish to take a taxi since you wish to depart at 6:15 am. I usually request Queensboro as Seacarl mentioned as it is a toll-less road. As a consumer, you are allowed to request the route. The drivers will say the RFK/Triboro is faster....and a few times they have picked up the toll as they prefer a quick travel time.

You can check approximate travel time using Google's directions map. They are pretty good with the transit and travel times (incl walking to your hotel).

LIH Prem and IDGflygirl like this.
  7. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for the Q70 bus/subway.

8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gawd ., and some of you are *current* New Yorkers :)

#7 trains generally don't run on weekends between QB Plaza and TImes Square. OP is arriving Sunday night, and leaving on a Saturday, so it's probable that the #7 train won't be running between QB Plaza and Times Square that weekend, but I suppose it's possible since we don't know which weekend it is.

With the new destination info, the Q70 Ltd to the F train might work to 42nd Street @ 5th Ave, but the Q70 to the #7 to Fifth Ave would be the best if it's running that weekend between Woodside and Times Square.

-David

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    canucklehead likes this.
  9. web1b

web1b Member

Status Points:
    Q70 from LGA looks good. I will look at taking a taxi or car back on Sunday morning, but the Q70 back should also work. My flight takes off at noon on Sunday, so I probably don't need to be back at LGA before 11AM if I check-in in advance and have no checked luggage.

Looks like I will arrive July 6th. I would have come a couple of days earlier and paid for the extra days of hotel out of my pocket so I would have time to see some of the city before Monday, but since that's the July 4th weekend and I will be near Times Square, I figured the hotels would be full or overpriced Friday and Saturday.
    I will be busy all day M-F 9 to 5 in the area around the hotel and then leave Saturday morning, so I don't have a lot of time for sightseeing. What time does it it get dark in early July?

10. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just make sure you check to see if the 7 or F is running conveniently on the day you arrive and the day you leave and plan appropriately.

-David

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but that's simply not true.

12. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which part is not true? The way I worded it? It's been that way on and off for a couple of years now, I think. Should I have said "often" instead of "generally"?

It's true through June 30. Don't know about July. You'll need to check back when the July calendar is up to see if they extend it.

They were doing a long term CBTC install, which morphed into track panel replacements and several other things. Also recently they started doing track replacement on the rest of the line on weekends.

If it's finished, that would be a good thing.

[​IMG] No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq-42 St
    E-F-N-Q-R-S trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service Weekends, 2 AM Sat to 4:30 AM Mon, until Jun 30

[​IMG] service operates between Main St and Queensboro Plaza.
    From 7 AM to 9 PM, Sat and Sun, the last stop for alternate trains from Main St is 74 St.
    Service operates every 12 minutes* between 74 St and Queensboro Plaza.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  13. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    found this ... http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/7Line2014/MakingProgressin2014.htm

it's not every weekend if that's what you meant. It's many weekends with no service between Times Sq. and QB Plaza and many weekends include reduced service between QB Plaza and 74th St/Broadway.

Unless they change it, it looks like it will be running weekends of July 6 and 13. Check back right before those weekends.

-David

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014