LGA-ORD shuttle mess today, Apr. 26 2011

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My flight karma must have been good today. I got home, a lot of people didn't.

Outbound, the 7 a.m. shuttle ORD-LGA was an hour late, but a nice flight. That means they started the day at LGA with a late inbound.

I was scheduled to return on the 7 p.m. LGA-ORD flight, but finished my meetings early, called DL and learned there were a lot of seats available on the 5 and 6 p.m. flights, so I grabbed a cab to the airport. Arrived to learn the 6 p.m. had been canceled but there were seats on the 5 p.m., so I took that. Got to the gate at 4:35, and the GA told me they were facing a serious delay but the 4 p.m. shuttle hadn't left yet and I should get on it.

I got a new BP and boarded, someone was in my seat, I asked the FA and she said to just take any open seat; as more people boarded, that continued, the FA's instructed them to sit anywhere. Around 5:30 or 6:00 we learned that the 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. flights, which had been sitting on the tarmac, were canceled and returned to the gate, and we got a few pax from those, filling our last remaining seats. (I saw two diamonds come on very late and sit way in back, not in seat numbers that matched their BP's.; just whatever seat they could find)

Wheels up at 7:05 p.m., ironically the scheduled time of my original flight.

I just checked, and the 5, 6 and 7 p.m. flights were all canceled. The 1 p.m. was also canceled, so that's six canceled flights. The 8 p.m. flight took off at about 10:30.
    A lot of folks must be stuck at LGA tonight.

It's mainly due to weather and traffic on the route between LGA and ORD, weather was fine at the two airports (I believe ORD had intermittent t-storms earlier in the day). It's a bad corridor, lots of traffic and not many routing options.

2. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    what kind of a/c are they running on that now?

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, CRJ-900s.

4. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    right, I thought it was either the 900s for for some reason I thought they were running E175's at first. They def. need f/c to compete.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, it could well be those or a mixture. It's just not mainline aircraft and they do offer FC. I then to think in terms of CRJs, which is what PMNW had, and to not distinguish them much from the equivalent EXXXs. DL has been swapping routes on their Connection Carriers so much recently that it's hard to remember who handles which routes and it seems strange to me to ask several RJ operators to serve the same small airport instead of concentrating service more.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    All E175's. Shuttle America runs the ORD-LGA shuttle route for DL.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shuttle America is bad, isn't it?

8. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope this all settles down as I will be flying on Friday/Sunday LGA-ORD-JKF.
    I will be very furiated if I do not leave/arrive when I am supposed to. :mad:

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    this was a weather issue, I don't believe Shuttle America controls that.

In general I prefer them to Comair- the E175's have a nice front cabin, and the meals served on the shuttle route are pretty good.

10. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shuttle America does not control the weather, but Delta does!

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the AA and UA flights that are mainline service were also affected when you encountered this issue?

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm not sure which flight tracking site to check. I know there were a lot of AA, UA, Spirit and Airtran planes sitting on the tarmac, and when we were released we were number 12 in line, with a bunch more behind us. I was in an aisle seat, so I didn't pay attention to whether there were many arrivals/departures while we were sitting.