Letter of Apology from Suzanne Rubin

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by NYCAdventurer, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear Corey
    At American, we always do our best to provide our customers with a smooth travel experience. You may have seen recent media reports about American's operational challenges or even experienced a service disruption yourself. Whatever the circumstance, I am truly sorry for any inconvenience to you. I also want to let you know what's going on and assure you that we stand ready to help.

Prior to recent issues, American has been running an extremely good operation, with reliability measures at their best levels in many years. The recent delays are due to the increase in maintenance write-ups by our pilots, many right at the time of departure. Our maintenance teams are responding appropriately to such reports, which may cause interruptions in our schedules. I know you will agree that nothing is more important than running a safe and reliable operation. Ensuring the safety of our customers is always our highest priority.

We are taking several immediate steps to improve our service during this period. We are proactively reducing the rest of our September and October schedule by approximately one to two percent. These schedule adjustments will enable us to provide our customers with more reliable service while minimizing impact to travel plans. Additionally, we are increasing staffing of maintenance, reservations and airport personnel to offer you more flexible travel options.

As always, our goal is to get you to your destination safely and on-time. Because you are a valued elite member, should you find that on your day of departure these issues will cause you to arrive more than one hour late at your final destination, all you have to do is ask and we'll do our best to arrange an alternative. We will seek out the best available reaccommodation, whether that is on American or on another carrier — or if you prefer, we will let you cancel your reservation and receive a refund. Your needs are our primary focus.

Above all, I want to thank you for your business and your support. We do not take your loyalty for granted and are working hard on your behalf.

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]
    Suzanne L. Rubin
    President
    AAdvantage® Loyalty Program

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Not so sure this is an apology or not, but that is how I am interpreting it. Would love some compensation to go along with it!

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How many flights have you been on that were delayed or canceled due to this?

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least they're being prompt. United waited months before putting a letter from the SMI/J in its in-flight magazine.

5. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Very proactive!

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Received letter as well. Only one minor delay for me this week. But I do appreciate Suzanne's attention to the possible disruptions some may experience ...

Because you are a valued elite member, should you find that on your day of departure these issues will cause you to arrive more than one hour late at your final destination, all you have to do is ask and we'll do our best to arrange an alternative. We will seek out the best available reaccommodation, whether that is on American or on another carrier — or if you prefer, we will let you cancel your reservation and receive a refund. Your needs are our primary focus.

7. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Fortunately only 1 so far, but caused me to have to change a connection as well.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If it was a significant delay or issue it couldn't hurt to ask.

On a side note, I wonder if this is an indication of AA management's intent to ride this out. Get out in front of it, tell customers they're going to do the best they can to accomodate them or be flexible, etc. But if they were planning on attempting to placate the pilots, why bother?

Eh, who knows.

Gargoyle and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    I support AAs effort and agree they need to be strong and firm.

LETTERBOY and Jett Rink like this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really adds to the puzzle for me. I'm not sure I want to go on with my challenge for the rest of the year under these circumstances.

Had an Eagle flight yesterday that they swapped out captains at the very last minute, fortunately, the delay was only 45 minutes.

I do like the up-front nature in how American is handling this. United's silence is deafening.

MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly I hope they have absolutely no intention of placating the pilots. You don't reward a tantrum.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In a perfect world, standing on principle would mean one was rewarded, but this is hardly a perfect world.

AA might come to a point where these labor actions could encourage other actions to take place (a merger, or perhaps even worse), and at that point it becomes a decision making process based on the lesser of evils vs. principle.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you punish it. I had the pleasure of looking a co-pilot in the eye last night as we de-boarded that flight and told him that "these 'flaps down' antics are complete bullshit." No response. None. Poker face.

14. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    As elite travelers of any status, we have the option of alternates including other carriers or walking away with a refund? IMHO that's generous enough to get me thinking that either American really loves us or is just a bit frightened. I'm not canceling any of my 5 very long haul trips for the rest of the year yet....

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm genuinely worried about my upcoming California trip. I wouldn't have been until this week - cancelations, delays, ass-hattery, etc. And, for the record, I blame the 5% of employees who are being stupid and irresponsible - not the 95% who want to do the same good job they've been doing, and want to do it for a stable company.

ceieoc, marcwint55 and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. Philphactor
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The answer is yes.

Call me cAAzy, but I have been an American loyalist for over a decade now because I really do think the culture at American is different than the other legacy carriers and they really do love us.

Suzanne, can I get my bonus EQM now? :rolleyes:

marcwint55, Sunshine7 and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. Philphactor
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mee too.

marcwint55, LETTERBOY and Mike Reed like this.
  18. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I fly AA and UA pretty much equally. UA has been a friggin nightmare beyond comparison the last 4-5 months. Melinda and I got 5 x 200 USD vouchers each as compensation from UA after calling. When UA (not CO) messes up, they will give you something if you're a good customer.

I have not changed my booking pattern at all due to what Scott wrote in the WSJ or this warning from Suzanne and haven't run in to any problems -- yet

With all these problems, I hope that AA actually compensates their customers even if the pilots are at fault. Historically, that hasn't been the case. The last few years leading up to this spring, AA has had a lot more mechanical problems than UA and I have never received anything.

I am pleased with the way UA makes up for things, AA needs to make good and not with a couple of thousand miles

marcwint55, perryplatypus and anthstr like this.
  19. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received an email as well. I've not flow in a couple weeks however what caught my eye is "do our best to arrange an alternative". I have a Sunday DFW-COS-DFW that has, without any notice to me so far, become DFW-COS and DEN-COS because COS-DFW cancelled several days ago. I've not called yet to ask about this or how I'm supposed to get from COS to DEN because I'm curious to see if they ever contact me about this. It's part of something Ryan B. arranged so I'm cutting them some slack here but it still seems terribly odd that sort of maneuver doesn't at least get me a phone call. They never hesitate to call me to try and up sell me to direct flights ;-)

Anyone have a molecular transporter I can borrow for a day?

malikguy, marcwint55 and Mike Reed like this.
  20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're absolutely right that you should get a phone call from the Reaccom group... but this does illustrate why tools like TripIt (Pro) become so effing valuable - proactive notification. This has saved me twice recently. Once when a flight was canceled while I was delayed on the tarmac on the inbound connection, and for the same COS-DFW(-AUS) trip you're on.

21. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think this is a great move. Very customer-friendly reaccomodation policy (2 hour delay = willing to put on another carrier or refund, 1 hour for elites). Not perfect by any means, still some risk with AA right now but a lot less risk because of the measures they're taking to compensate such as fewer flights. Glad to see them getting out ahead of it.

22. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been wondering something similar. I have been expecting AA to just come out and state, "these are intentional disruptions by certain key aspects of the unions in protest of the necessary cutbacks to ensure AA's survival of our current financial situation", etc. I'm wagering things will get quite a bit uglier before the issue calms down.

23. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the notifications... for the entire group :p

marcwint55 likes this.
  24. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll probably have to wait a while longer for that to happen. AA will have a stronger case, PR-wise and legally, if they have a bigger sample size before they go that route. The bigger the size, the stronger their case.

You're right about this, unfortunately.

Mike Reed, marcwint55 and maradori like this.
  25. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen

LETTERBOY and Mike Reed like this.