Letter from Maya Leibman offering 2 for 1 ticket turns out to be bait and switch

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by goldtraveler, Aug 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I am a long time AA loyalist and was very frustrated by a letter from Maya Leibman, President of the Loyalty Program, to reward long term customers of AA and Citibank with a buy one/get one free ticket. Did anyone else get this? It says the ticket must be $299 or higher, "simply" purchased 14 days in advance and then with the promotion code it gives invalid "embargo" dates. I complied with all and couldn't figure out why it did not work. After an hour on the phone with AA, I get to the internet team that says they have gotten many frustrated customer calls. There is a class restriction that you cannot see when selecting the flights and basically, the class that works is double the regular fare. So, for instance, my flight was $324 and the only fare that qualifies would be almost $600 so really, not so much of a reward especially after the hassle. Is this the way she treats loyal customers? Save the letter...

2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, goldtraveler, it would be best to save the letter!!! Sometimes I think that they have a picture of a donkey of their customers. AA is not the first doing that and certainly won't be the last!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup. If this is the same one they sometimes give as a sign-up bonus to first time cardmembers, it's only valid for tickets in H, V, M, L, K, W. So it's not valid on the cheapest fares, and the 14 day advance ends up excluding many of the times when H, V, M, L, K, W is all that's available anyway. There's been discussion of these certs elsewhere, and consensus is they're usually worthless.

jbcarioca and deant like this.
  4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.aa.com/content/images/eSummary/2010/Solo/01_10_Citi_Carriage/CBA012710_V06_Legal.htm

(1) Companion Certificate: This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is valid only for first-time Citi®/ AAdvantage® cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account by April 30, 2010. Companion certificate expires 12 months after the issue date. Passenger is responsible for taxes, fees and charges in association with use of companion certificate. Your companion offer will arrive in the form of a certificate 8–10 weeks after payment of annual fee that is billed at the end of first year and assignment of a discount code for use on AA.com; details, certain restrictions, conditions and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed in this mailing. Your discount code must be redeemed on www.aa.com in conjuntion with domestic travel purchased on your Citi® / AAdvantage® card. Travel must be booked in H V M L K or W inventory with a minimum fare of $299 per passenger. The companion offer will be fulfilled as a 50% discount off each passenger's travel.​

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This still seems slightly better than the certificates CO hands out for cardmember anniversaries where flights can only be on Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday, require a Saturday night stay, can't be booked in anything lower than W, and can't be to/from a hub. It's not awesome, but it could be worse.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to think those CO certs can only be used on days that start with "Q". :) Don't forget the 2:1 J class tickets they offer that are only for full fare tickets and end up being more than two discount J tickets. :rolleyes:

Wonder what Delta has up their sleeve.

jbcarioca and viguera like this.
  7. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the real qualification for this offer is a Citi credit card, perhaps your frustration and complaint should be directed at Citibank

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP said that there's a class restriction but didn't name the specific fare classes. A couple of us listed the fare classes to which we think it's supposed to be limited, but does that match the list of codes that the internet team advised the OP about? Or is it possible that it's coded incorrectly in the system?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    The price differentials, mentioned by the OP, would appear consistent, based on the H/V/M/L/K/W restriction:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.4.0/Diamond - Sabre: Fares/TVN/CA-STD]
    Code:
    CHI  Chicago Metro IL US = ORD MDW
    LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
    R/T  Aug 2011 - Jul 2012

Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur   AdvanceP  Min  Max  Fare Basis/TD | Travel Period
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  ---  -----------------------------
    AA         CHI     LAX       226   USD     7 Days            QA07LQY1        23 Aug-16 Nov
    AA         CHI     LAX       244   USD     7 Days            QA07EQY1        23 Aug-16 Nov
    AA         CHI     LAX       244   USD    10 Days            QA10EQU1              -17 Nov
    AA         CHI     LAX       244   USD    10 Days            QA10ERD1
    AA         CHI     LAX       244   USD    10 Days            QA10LQU1              -31 Aug
    AA         CHI     LAX       244   USD    10 Days            QA10LQU1        01 Sep-16 Nov
    AA         CHI     LAX       244   USD    10 Days  ***       QD10LQU1              -31 Aug
    AA         CHI     LAX       244   USD    21 Days  ***       QD21LQD1
    AA         CHI     LAX       266   USD     7 Days  ***       QD07EQU1        03 Sep-04 Sep
    AA         CHI     LAX       273   USD    21 Days            NA21SRD1
    AA         CHI     LAX       273   USD     7 Days            QA07EQP1        03 Sep-04 Sep
    AA         CHI     LAX       273   USD     7 Days            QA07EQU1        03 Sep-04 Sep
    AA         CHI     LAX       319   USD    14 Days            SA14ERD1
    AA         CHI     LAX       442   USD    14 Days            GA14ERD1
    AA         CHI     LAX       521   USD     7 Days            GA07ERD1

AA         CHI     LAX       628   USD     7 Days            VA07ERD1
    AA         CHI     LAX       758   USD     7 Days            WA07ERD1
    AA         CHI     LAX       766   USD        ***            WA00ERD1
    AA         CHI     LAX       818   USD        ***            MA00ERD5
    AA         CHI     LAX      1077   USD        ***            KA00ERD5        22 Aug-
    AA         CHI     LAX      1097   USD        ***            KA00ERD5              -21 Aug
    AA         CHI     LAX      1424   USD        ***            HA00ERDR        22 Aug-
    AA         CHI     LAX      1444   USD        ***            HA00ERDR              -21 Aug
    AA         CHI     LAX      1711   USD        ***            BA00ERDR        22 Aug-
    AA         CHI     LAX      1731   USD        ***            BA00ERDR              -21 Aug
    AA         CHI     LAX      1905   USD     7 Days            KA7UPPYN
    AA         CHI     LAX      2095   USD     3 Days            KA3UPPYN
    AA         CHI     LAX      2283   USD        ***            KA0UPPYN

AA         CHI     LAX      2306   USD        ***            YA2AAD
    AA         CHI     LAX      2471   USD        ***            YA0UPAMR
    AA         CHI     LAX      3313   USD        ***            Y
    AA         CHI     LAX      3340   USD        ***            FA2AA
    AA         CHI     LAX      3452   USD        ***            J
    AA         CHI     LAX      5125   USD        ***            F

jbcarioca and SC Flier like this.
  10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get your point, but doesn't it vary depending on the desired route?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    It does, so it would be helpful if the OP could mention the specific route in question...

jbcarioca and SC Flier like this.
  12. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it's been posted somewhere else, but it would be nice to have a complete list of the T&Cs for these certs. Right now, I see CLT-HNL in V fare class for $890. That would be a pretty nice fare for BOGO.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Of course certificates which can only be used online, when the website doesn't permit you to specify fare bucket, can be a problem as well -- the aa.com site offers generally fare class buckets. You can choose lowest fare, but it'll often jump over the lowest eligible fare for these certs to a more mid-priced fare. And since there's no way to specify fare class you may even wind up having to overpay relative to the restrictions on the certificate even in order to use the certificate.

jbcarioca, mrpickles and SC Flier like this.
  14. I also applied for a Citi Bank AA card. After about one year of use i still did not have any mileage bonus of 25,000 miles. I complained to Citi and they said it was an AA problem. I complained to AA and they said it was a Citi bank problem. When the card was up for renual i just cancelled. The Citi bank was impossible to deal with...long phone tree and unsymphathic agents...dont fall for the Citi bank card trick...I think its a scam.

15. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint, AAPlatinumTraveler!

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, on these types of offers, it is AA that determines the restrictions/requirements for the AA reward.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the terms are negotiated but it's a Citi offer at the end of the day

jbcarioca likes this.