Let's share our plans to experience Fairmont

Discussion in 'Fairmont | President's Club' started by lancexfang, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's Monday after. But the excitment doesn't seem want to abate.

Did some research on this newly discovered 'my favorite but never been' chain, and decided on the following Fairmont plan for the coming years. My business travel pattern would have no overlap with most Fairmont properties. So it will be purely for leisure purpose. Typically given our family’s situation, we would book 2 rooms, stay for about 4 nights, and try not to switch hotels in between.

Given its heavy presence in Canada, we will be mostly going north in the first few years to sample the best part of this brand.

2011: San Francisco (exception to the rule but for good reason I guess)
    2012: Le Chateau Montebello
    2013: Banff Springs/Chateau Lake Louise
    2014: Vancouver Pacific Rim/Empress, Vitoria
    2015: Jasper Park (by then my older son Jasper will be 7 and he might get a crack out of it in his patented juvenile silly way)
    2016: St. Andrews by-the-Sea

Edit: well I guess I'll add Mayakoba to the list for maybe 2013, although it's in the wrong direction...

2. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not do all those places in one year?;)

I haven´t been to St. Andrews-by-the-Sea and Montebello, but all the other Fairmonts you listed are fantastic properties (the list does include all my favourite properties)! ^

I don´t find the rooms (no style, small, cramped) and the Platinum treatment (upgrade only to junior suite, sometimes not even facing the lake) at Lake Louise unimpressive, but the location and the view of the lake is fantastic, it´s only half an hour from Banff, so an easy ride.

Anyway, enjoy your new Platinum status! [​IMG]

3. Maybe the newly minted plats will be cautious and only try one property a year with their free night cert?

4. Haven been to many of their properties across Canada, I think the Western Canada ones are more impressive. It's really easy to get from Vancouver to Victoria so that is a pretty simple twosome you could do in a long weekend. One thing you might want to consider is moving St Andrews by the Sea up as there is some talk that the property is on the block. If you head that way, you need to have dinner at the Rossmount Inn which is a great place to eat.

5. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travels:

1. Fairmont SF (2011)
    2. Fairmont Victoria (2011)
    3. Fairmont Pacific Rim (or other Van hotel) (2011)
    4. Fairmont Zimbali (not sure which one) (2011-12)
    5. Fairmont Hawaii props (2012)
    6. Fairmont China props/Singapore (2013-15)

Other stays in there, most likely in NYC, Boston, DC, Caribbean, and maybe Middle East.

Fairmont definitely needs some properties in Japan. This is definitely a huge increase in stays than I would've planned otherwise, which would've gone to either Hyatt, Hilton, or Starwood.

6. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree it would be nice to have some Fairmonts in Japan, if it´s any help to you, there´s a Swissotel in Osaka, as a FPC you get some benefits when staying at Swissotel and Raffles hotels (comp. local calls, health club access, newspaper), but nothing to write home about really, you also get stay credit when staying there which may be of some interest to those who don´t have lifetime status.[​IMG]

7. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know in my case, except for Banff Springs/Chateau Lake Louise that we started to contemplate recently, I wasn’t planning on visiting any of the rest. Somehow Fairmont has never got on my radar as JW, IC, Hyatt and Hilton/Waldorf have for leisure travel. Hindsight shows a huge negligence on my part, now that I’ve had this opportunity to learn more about this program. I’m happy it has found me, especially for its Canada coverage and its willingness to treat its customers well.
    It does seem to me a lot of the focus of development is on Mideast and a little bit of India. Unfortunately for me personally they don’t fit into my future travel plan. Am also wondering about the implications of the recent developments in the Arab world on Fairmont’s strategy there.

8. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, Mideast because of the ownership, probably. Hopefully the developings in the MidEast will be a net gain for the future.

9. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, the Orchid on the big island is very nice, as is the sister property on Maui, the Kea Lani,

I like the Vierjahreszeiten, but haven't been since it became a Fairmont property. I used to stay there often when I worked in Germany.

This year, we'll get to Whistler and Banff again, and most likely a couple other places. The Chicago Fairmont is okay, but I prefer to stay at the Intercontinental just for the location.

I'll probably try the one in Santa Monica, as the Newport Beach property is only really good for early SNA flights, IMHO. The Santa Monica Property would be a good target for the free night coup, as it can be $$ on certain nights.

10. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely the Hawaii properties look great. I'm not much of a skiier, so probably won't be hitting the big ski properties. My brother is, so maybe I will sponsor some of his upgrades.