Let's redesign the Boarding Process

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by 8MiHi, Oct 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Are you satisfied with the current boarding process?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2012.
  1. The process works for me.

29.4%
  2. I have had numerous bad experiences with the boarding process itself.

23.5%
  3. I have had bad experiences with other passengers not following the process.

29.4%
  4. I have had bad experiences with the Gate Agents.

5.9%
  5. I am a louse.

11.8%
  1. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another thread discussed the tendency of some people to crowd the boarding areas and referred to them as boarding lice. A few took umbrage at the characterization while others agreed with it. The thread took a turn into a discussion of the Boarding Process. So below I have created my own arbitrary survey on the question.

uggboy likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you need to specify what carrier or type of boarding (regular vs WN etc)
    I think either type is fine; even if I am on the last group to board. I don't really mind. I sit and wait ... then get up and go to my seat. Not sure why people rush on to be first... esp if they have aisle seats. Being hit in the face with bags, boobs, ass, arms and then getting up to let ppl through while being grumpy or being crawled over just aint my thing. Yeah being last does come with risk of not having OH space for my carryon; but then usually the gate agent will let people know that hey this is a full flight and ppl can check their bags etc. I usually opt for that as those bags comes out sooner than regular checking ...

8MiHi likes this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was arbitrary in the design. Your own experience is what I am after.

edekba and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of GAs aren't good, and with a lot of people bring carry-ons to save $25+, bags are everywhere in the cabin, even if a few seats are empty. I'd rather get my bag up there ASAP. If I have a tight connection, I'd rather not have to wait for my bag. Last trip, I had 50 minutes at DTW, and arrived home at 11:55pm. No way I could get it at my connection, nor do I want to be waiting at baggage claim at midnight.

5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I think customers have wised up to bag fees and slow baggage return times. I probably fly WN twice a year and it always surprises me how much extra space there is overhead and how much faster boarding takes because of it.

BuckleandBoots, brfong and 8MiHi like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The overall response so far has been a little light to date.
    It seems most of those who have responded have some problems with the process.
    This would then beg the question "Can these problems be fixed without making things worse or add substantially to boarding costs?"

7. sendbillmoney

sendbillmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    Use restaurant pagers. You can join the line when your pager flashes.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At Delta, it goes pre-boards, First Class, Sky Priority medallions, the zone 1

How abut not calling the 3rd or 4th zone as "Zone 1?"

Oh, because it pushes the AmExs ..

8MiHi and miles and smiles like this.
  9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Final tally shows most of us have some significant problem with the boarding process and two of us should read Kafka's Metamorphosis. While I have only had occasional problems with the BP, I do think that with a very modest effort (at least domestically) the airlines could significantly improve the experience.
    If they do a better job informing (bigger boarding group number on the passes, perhaps), announcing (better aural and visual cues) and enforcing appropriately (such as randomly placing a GA or red coat at the entry to the races to police those entering them before they get to the GA processing boarding passes) I think many poor boarding experiences would be averted.

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, this survey is a far cry from being scientific with such low numbers. Still, I am very surprised that not more FF reported problems with others not following the procedure. Maybe it's because I live in Latin America, but I almost always have someone in front of me turned away by the GA for being out of sequence. It's almost eery how I can spot them with such accuracy prior to their attempt to clear the GA boarding pass machine.

The majority of cases aren't at all malicious. It's usually a VERY infrequent flier who didn't understand (in any language) what is being said due to poor speaker quality or simple confusion. It's easier, too, for those of us who fly regularly because we are almost always in group 1. I know that if they are boarding, it's time for me to go.

Even though I speak fluent Spanish, the dialect changes from country to country, so I may have trouble understanding if the announcement is made in Spanish alone. The English announcements are often uninterpretable, too, as many GAs in foreign countries are trying to read words they don't know or understand. There are almost always a few Americans boarding who can't understand the announcement at all.

8MiHi likes this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    All too true. I think that we will see substantially improved visual cues at gates before too long such as a big flat screen right at the gate with in your face boarding status in all likely languages.

12. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish there was a way to board last but still get my carry-ons into the overhead bin. Reserving overhead space, new for '13?

8MiHi likes this.
  13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no doubt that they have studied that possibility. All possible fees for service are on the table...

14. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    AT SFO the displays over the gates are now showing the Boarding Group allowed to board! IMHO it did seem to make a marginal difference as I was able to point to the display as I sought to plow through the crowd. While there were still many BG 5,6&7s piling up in the boarding area, it seemed to make them more amenable to moving aside. The GA was still barely audible which caused many to crowd closer and there appeared to be no enforcement for those who went out of order.

15. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an interesting experience flying out of FRA to the US. They actually corralled everyone ahead of time (very German) to mitigate the crowd at the gate.

That said, a few months prior I was leaving FRA to go to Spain and it was a total mess.

I was very impressed flying Alaskan. I (and I imagine others) would be much more willing to check a bag if I knew I would get it within 20 or so minutes from wheels down.

8MiHi likes this.
  16. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really like those displays- they seem to make a difference. I'm usually flying UA in BG 3, and lately haven't had a problem with people in lower groups blocking the area. The times when I it's a problem are when I'm in F, so in BG 1, and the way is blocked by all of the 2s and 3s. Hard to navigate the labyrinth of roll-aboards and business casual people on their cellphones.

8MiHi and KenInEscazu like this.
  17. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope these go up at all gates, especially at their hubs. I am usually in BG2 and I always stand to the side for those in higher groups. Unfortunately, every time I stand aside, the vacuum is filled by someone from a higher # group. The display does get their attention.

ducster likes this.