Let's play "Decipher my Elevate points"!

Discussion in 'Virgin America | Elevate' started by Mike_K, Aug 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike_K

Mike_K Member

Status Points:
    With your host... ME! No but really, I just don't get this. Here's a snapshot of all of my Elevate activity (I've only been flying VX since January). On all itineraries I fly with my wife. So...

[​IMG]

On our most recent trip (7/17 outbound, 7/24 inbound) I see that I was awarded 830 points per passenger, per flight. That makes sense since we had a base fare of $160 or something close to that and then you apply the x5 pts multiplier All is well. This is the way I expect the system to work.

Every other flight just shows points earned for one passenger though. The other trip (5/26 outbound, 6/2 inbound) shows that I accrued points for one passenger's inbound flight and one passenger's outbound flight.

So what's right? Should I be earning points for my wife as well or should I only be earning points for myself? All flights were booked via the same method.

What further confuses me is that on one flight (4/24 outbound) I got my points but they didn't award me the corresponding points for my inbound flight even though it was on the same confirmation number/ itinerary.

Then there's the fact that a bunch of trips are missing but I can go back and add those.

My biggest questions though are:

1. Should I be earning elevate points for each passenger as my most recent trip seems to suggest or should I only be earning them for myself as other trips seem to suggest?

2. Why would I be awarded points for one leg of my itinerary and not another?

I'm REALLY trying to avoid getting VX's Visa card. $25,000 is a lot of spend to get me just half way to silver status. I can do a lot more with that money on my American Express. I'm ready to call VX but I want to make sure I understand the system before I do.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. No. Your wife needs her own account for her flying to earn miles/points. From the membership guide:

http://virginamerica.com/frequent-flyer/elevate-member-guide.html

"Only you as the person named on your Elevate Program account and as the person who flies will earn Elevate reward Points for your account. You will not earn reward Points for travel by other Virgin America guests or Elevate Program Members, including travel where you paid for the guest or other Member."

So something with the last posting got screwed up.

2. Something with the posting got screwed up.

3. Mike_K

Mike_K Member

Status Points:
    Ah that just sucks so hard. I so don't want to get the VA Visa just so I can spend 25k and get 10k status points. It's almost worth looking into another airline.