Let's Play Credit Card March Madness

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Extra Pack of Peanuts, Mar 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys, I created a fun little event over on my blog called Credit Card March Madness that I think some of you might enjoy!

I'll be pitting 12 of the best credit cards out there against one another, matchup style, to see what frequent flyers really prefer.

The premise is that you are currently a clean slate, with no credit cards, no mile or points balances (the horrors) and you can only choose one credit card to have for the entire next year. What would you pick?

The tournament will start tomorrow (March 15th) with a matchup between the Chase Marriott Rewards Visa and the Chase Hyatt.

Every 2 days I'll be announcing a new matchup, with the winners moving on. All you have to do is go over to the blog and vote in the poll at the bottom of each post.

If you you are interested, you can find the link in my signature below. The most recent post explains the rules.

Hope you come and join the fun!

2. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now this is a bracket I'm actually excited about. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

uggboy and Jeffrey like this.
  4. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  5. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well...I voted in the 2nd matchup and it looks like I picked the loser. This is no different than my NCAA bracket selections...

uggboy and gwhit21 like this.
  6. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    There's still another day left! We'll have to see if the Chase Southwest can make a late run.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    2 Matchups in the books:

Chase Marriott knocked off the Chase Hyatt 63% to 37% in matchup 1 and will move on to 2nd round.

Chase Priority Club took down the Chase Southwest card 67% to 33% in matchup 2 and will move on to round 2.

You still have 1 day left to vote in matchup #3, which pits the Chase United Explorer vs. Barclays USAirways card.

Thanks for all who have voted alread and commented and remember, a new matchup posts every 2 days. So keep coming back and making your argument for what is the best travel credit card out there!

Vote now in Matchup #3!

uggboy likes this.
  8. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    The first round is in the books and here are the results:

Match 1: Chase Marriott defeats Chase Hyatt 63%-37%

Match 2: Chase Priority Club defeats Chase Southwest 68%-32%

Match 3: Barclays USAirways defeats Chase Explorer 62%-38%

Match 4: Citi Thank You Premier defeats Virgin Atlantic American Express 60%-40%

uggboy likes this.
  9. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    The second round has begun!

The Chase Marriott, who beat the Chase Hyatt in Round 1, will be squaring off against a big boy, the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

This should be interesting, so get over to the blog and vote! The more the merrier!

http://bit.ly/GRuDwe

uggboy likes this.
  10. bearcat74

bearcat74 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Enjoying this "tournament" on your blog - good work. Of course we will get all of these cards if the bonus is right :D , but interesting to think of it as you can pick only one, with a clean slate.

uggboy and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  11. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    Thanks bearcat74. I've always been intrigued as to what the consensus would be of all the miles experts here if they were asked by a total newbie "What is the one card I should get if I want to travel cheap." I'm hoping that this tournament helps answer that question as well as provide a fun experiment for all of us, so please feel free to pass it along to others.

Thanks for voting and for the support!

uggboy and KathInJax like this.
  12. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, that was a toughie for me - I don't spend a lot, so Marriott has a bigger signup bonus and a free night certificate. However, I don't usually stay at Marriott's. At 50,000 the Sapphire Preferred's flexibility pushed it ahead of Marriott for me. If the bonus does go down to 40,000 for the Sapphire Preferred, then I would probably vote for the Marriott card.

uggboy likes this.
  13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next year, you should give us the bracket beforehand so that we can fill it in :p

I'm sure we'd see posts like, "That Chase card broke my bracket! :(" :D

uggboy likes this.
  14. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised that the Marriott card had more votes than the Hyatt card which is hard for me to understand. Oh well.

uggboy likes this.
  15. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    I debated which format would be better and so I'm certainly open to suggestions for next year. I thought that having 1 matchup every 2 days, and not knowing the matchups beforehand, would build excitement, but I can definitely see the positives to everyone filling out a bracket ahead of time and then releasing the results staggered.

Thanks for the suggestions!

uggboy likes this.
  16. rdraper

rdraper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Kind of strange.

uggboy likes this.
  17. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  18. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I voted on this one. I picked the Freedom card since I figure 60K points isn't comparable to the $250 sign on bonus with the Freedom card. Priority points seem to be valued between .25 and .38 cents....so it's going to fall shy of $250. Yeah...I know the Point Breaks can really make this a value...but who really wants to go to Zanesville Ohio? I do think that this will be the closest match of them all.

uggboy likes this.
  19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for posting ... I did play all six of them, but would like to see a comparison between Chase Ink Bold & Sapphire cards. Thank you! :)

uggboy likes this.
  20. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    Kalboz,

Unfortunately you won't see a Chase Ink Bold vs. Chase Sapphire card because I decided to only include personal cards in this tournament. I wanted to see what the best travel credit card would be that all people could get, and while I myself frequently make use of getting business cards, it is a little tricky for the average person.

Thanks for voting, and I think you'll be happy with some of the matchups coming up as we move to the end of the 2nd round and on to the semifinals and finals. Some real interesting decisions to be made!

Kalboz likes this.
  21. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    Julielou2,

It was definitely the closest matchup of the tournament so far, with the Chase Freedom winning by ONE SINGLE VOTE over the Chase Priority Club. If you ever thought your vote didn't matter....THINK AGAIN!

Thanks for voting and keep doing so!

22. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    Matchup #6 is in the books with the Chase Freedom SQUEAKING by the Chase Priority Club by ONE SINGLE VOTE! Wow...looks like this tournament is starting to pick up!

Matchup #7 is now open, and it pits the Barclays USAirways card, which defeated the Chase United Explorer in round 1, against the Citi/Aadvantage Visa. Just remember, you are only allowed to get one card, so don't think that you can pull the "two browser trick" and get double Citi/AAdvantage cards. You are judging the Citi/AAdvantage by its own merits, not combining it with the Citi/AAdvantage Amex.

Run to the ballot box, people!

Matchup #7: Barclays USAirways vs. Citi/AAdvantage Visa

23. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's news to me ... I was not aware that Chase Ink Bold and Chase Sapphire Preferred were business cards. Also, I did finally find a comparison between the two cards by Mommy Points: Chase Ink Bold or Chase Sapphire Preferred: Beyond the Free Year

BTW, I also voted for Citibank AA Visa in Matchup # 7, thanks again!

24. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was a tough one to decide on! I waivered both ways. Citi AA has more redemption partners and the $150 statement credit (on AA flight spending). Barclay's has miles without spend and a $99 companion pass. I was about to click Citi and then I saw on your blog that the Barclays USAirways card is churnable. Now...I'm not a churner...but if I had only one card...and the ability to churn for more free miles...I would definitely do so...so I voted for the Barclay's card.

25. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:

The Chase Ink Bold is a business card, but the Chase Sapphire Preferred is not. That's why I included the Chase Sapphire Preferred in the tournament but not the Chase Ink Bold.

Glad you voted. Next matchup will be up in two days!

Kalboz likes this.