Let someone else use your miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by fotes, May 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. fotes

fotes Member

Status Points:
    So im trying to go to Vegas in July, i've booked myself already using United miles and am all set. My Dad is not into miles but my moms a flight attendant so hes never needed to be. With me on a guaranteed ticket however he was looking into purchasing one but id like to save him if I can.

I've got 45k on US Air, and the flight I want to get him on will only cost me 20,000 miles + $35. My question is how do I do this? Can I use my miles for his flight?

When it asks for passanger information I figured I can just put in his info, but then it asks for a frequent flyer number. Do I use mine, or his (which of course contains 0 miles)?

Is there a way to transfer miles to him?

Anyone know how to make this happen on US Air?

Thanks in advance.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You definitely can use your miles without first transferring them. You would simply be sponsoring him for the flight, but it is unclear whether he would be traveling with you on UA or you'd like to book a separate flight for him on US. Because these are US miles, you'll need to book through them, regardless:
    Log into your US Airways account, and then search and find the US or UA flight that you wish to redeem on. Enter his name as the traveler. No need to enter a FF# because the fact that you are logged in your account means that the miles will be taken automatically out of it.

If all fails you can just call US Airways CS to request assistance. It might cost you, however.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. fotes

fotes Member

Status Points:
    Ah, nice! Im actually flying on US Air as well even though I booked through United.com, its a partner award or something. Nonetheless he and I can fly on the same flight once I book him. Hopefully it'll all go smooth.

Thanks for the help!