Let me know your favorite bag.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by samjones, Aug 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. samjones

samjones Active Member

Status Points:
    Let me know your favorite bag for longtrip

MLW20 and marcwint55 like this.
  2. samjones

samjones Active Member

Status Points:
    Do carry-on bags for flights typically get weighed to make sure they aren't over the weight limit?

MLW20, marcwint55 and daninstl like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a Delsey full size suitcase I check when on long trips. It has the larger skate type wheels and is "feather light" according to the label. It really is very light. I love it. I'm sure there are better but not for the price I paid. I stay away from the bags with the 4 small caster type wheels because I've had to drag my stuff through the gravel, snow, etc. too many times over the years. For a carry on I use a backpack or a messenger bag I bought at the Boeing store in St. Louis. I love my backpack but not all are created equal and it looks a little off with a suit (or maybe I'm just paranoid).

MLW20 likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where you are. USA, no. Overseas, often.

MLW20 and Sunshine7 like this.
  5. chrisgayle885

chrisgayle885 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have used many travel luggage cases and experienced that backpacks are always comfortable to carry for small or longer duration trip. Backpack is very light weight to carry and enough to accommodate travel related things. Among all other leading backpack manufacturer brands, I would recommend Briggs & Riley backpack. It is extremely lightweight and easy to carry in crowded areas. It has outside zipper pocket and expandable luggage strap which make this bag best in its class.

MLW20 likes this.
  6. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    For long trip where you are probably going to check a bag, I'm a fan of TravelPro Maxlite. It doesn't break the bank and it's light enough that you can stuff it to overflowing and still not have to worry about being over the standard weight limit. I can get over a month's worth of clothes and shoes in mine, be under the weight limit, and know that it's going to stand up fairly well to airline abuse.

MLW20 likes this.
  7. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything TravelPro!

MLW20 likes this.
  8. willski

willski Active Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends where you are and how big your bag looks (?). For what it's worth, I've never had my carry-on bag(s) weighed, but then again I've never had an enormous one either..My most frequently flown airlines are Korean Air and British Airways if that helps at all.

MLW20 likes this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only time anyone ever bothered me about a carry on was at LAX when I was going up the escalator at the AA gates. It wouldn't fit into the measuring stand, so I removed a couple of items and it then fit. Once upstairs, I of course put the items back in and had no further problems.

willski and MLW20 like this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a swiss army full size case for check in. It is a bit bigger than standard and holds plenty for long trips.

MLW20 likes this.
  11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's impossible to even discuss the question without knowing what kind of traveling you're doing, how much stuff you intend to take, what kind of places you intend to stay, and so on.

My favorite bag for business and "fancy" trips is a leather carry-on sized Gladstone bag I bought in the leather market in Florence. Not super-practical, but stylish and the right size.

For third world and back-packy type trips, it's the eBag's Weekender (good for more than a weekend). Not particularly stylish, but practical and expands to carry a lot. But, since it doesn't have a waist belt, not great for trips on which you'll have to carry the bag for more than an hour or so at a time.

MLW20 likes this.
  12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a couple of Swiss Army wheelie bags which I never use anymore. They are made pretty well though.
    I pretty much always travel with a backpack. I love keeping my hands free. I have two North Face packs, a 60 & 75 liter. I pick which to use based on length of trip. Both bags are made well and I've gotten plenty of use out of them but based on smaller packs which I have, I'd probably suggest looking into Osprey if you were interested in traveling with a backpack.

willski likes this.