Let’s Rename Washington National Airport!

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

In my Tourist Guide to Washington DC (the most important things to know in a nutshell, I’ve lived here for 18 years), I wrote that:

• You always want to fly into National airport (and not Dulles or Baltimore) when possible, all things (price, non-stop flights) equal.
    • Nobody calls it Reagan National.

This was a controversial claim, lots of discussion in the comments. I actually think it breaks down along the lines of how new you are to the area. It isn’t just tourists that call is Reagan, it’s also newbies.

The airport was re-named for Ronald Reagan as a part of Grover Norquist’s very successful pitch to make a lot of money from conservative donors campaign to rename something for Ronald Reagan in every state.

Now there’s a move to take away the name. And rename it for Tim Howard.

• [​IMG]

Whereas Tim Howard has shown himself to be a national treasure, Minister of Defense, Friend of Joe Biden, and the holder for the record of most saves in a World Cup match; Therefore, we politely request that we rename the airport to recognize his accomplishments, and meritorious service to the United States of America.

As of this writing there are 3000 signatures on the petition, which needs 100,000 for a response.

And since the U.S. has now lost I’d expect interest in this to fade quickly. Now if the U.S. had won… we might see the end to some expensive federal projects ironically named for a President who (more or less, sometimes) opposed them.

Still, there’s no better airport to commemorate him now that he’s been named Secretary of Defense.

The post Let’s Rename Washington National Airport! appeared first on View from the Wing.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Related Stories

The post Let’s Rename Washington National Airport! appeared first on BoardingArea.

Continue reading...