Less real money vs more voucher money

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MyTravels, May 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Decisions, decisions. Burn $160 of real money & fly B6 (on a flight that won’t earn AA miles) or burn $250 AA voucher to fly AA metal (& earn AA miles).

..no set plans to use the AA voucher later, but it doesn't expire until 2012..

..WWYD (What Would You Do)?

2. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends if these miles that you may be earning will mean anything to do you?? (status, award redemption, etc) If your not going to achieve anything, then .....

MyTravels likes this.
  3. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I was worried about qualifying for next year, I would do the AA flight. If you are uncertain about your ability to use the voucher before it expires, take the AA flight. If you don't have $160 to spare, take the AA flight.

Otherwise, I don't think it's worth a 60% premium to fly AA.

gomike, MyTravels and viguera like this.
  4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. The miles (~2k) will help with lifetime status, but not going to make a difference in yearly earned status

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, and some might make the argument that depending on the route/flight going JetBlue is actually better anyway, and since it's cheaper it's a simple choice.

6. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both flying the exact same route, AA's timing is a little better, but not substantial enough to impact my decision either way.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you'll have a use for the voucher anyway and aren't broke, make the decision like you're paying cash either way.

8. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's missing in the calculation is whether MyTravels has elite status. Flying B6 without status vs. AA without status is a different thing than B6 vs. AA with status.

Besides bag fees and seat selection, another factor is access to elite security lines. This is driven home to me at my home airport, FLL, where B6 and AA share the F concourse and its security checkpoint. A couple of days ago, there were at least 150 people in the general security line (before the TSA boarding pass checker) - I was able to skip that line and use the PriorityAAccess line, where there was not a single person waiting,

MyTravels likes this.
  9. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, I'm one of those who would rather pay the premium to fly AA than flying status-less on other legacy airlines.

MyTravels likes this.
  10. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very valid points.

RE: Security lines: That's often dependent on the airport & time of day & could be worth a premium in some instances, although shouldn't be an issue in this instance
    RE: Seat Assignments: I think B6 has them, but with AA i'd have access to status seats (don't plan to upgrade)
    RE: Boarding: Status allows for priority boarding.

Which brings us back to, are these "marketing perks" & assurance of using a voucher worth a 60% premium..

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that goes back to my post... If you're flying coach from JFK to FLL for example, the in-flight experience would be much, much better on B6 IMO. Hell, some people might argue that once you make it past security T5 at JFK might negate any pluses that come with flying AA and having access to the lounge, unless you plan on being at the airport for 10 hours :)

And if you're flying to Aruba for example, all the status in the world won't get you past security any faster on the way back from Reina Beatrix -- x-rays then customs then x-rays again.

Plus I'd imagine that with the prices involved we're talking very short hops. I'd say it isn't worth blowing a voucher for that when you can use it for something more substantial later.

Wurm likes this.
  12. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, sort of :)

Yes, B6 has slightly better pitch, and the option to pay for + seating (I think). But AA has power in Y (all 738s on the FLL-JFK); with exit row seating (always has power ports) and with my laptop equipped with MY choice of programming (DVDs and downloaded files, with selections that are NOT available on any of B6's inflight channels), I'd still rather get the 1068 EQMS and the 2136 RDMs. One's mileage can vary, of course (such as being stuck in a middle, non-exit-row seat) :eek::eek:

viguera likes this.
  13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would make my own decision based on what was best for me, not on what was best for some stranger on the internet.