Legroom wars: the device that stops plane seats reclining

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Legroom wars: the device that stops plane seats reclining

Leg111.png

sobore, daninstl and Newscience like this.
  2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need this...... Price is no concern. lol

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    sobore, WilliamQ, Max M and 3 others like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure the producer will make a "killing". :D

vickers and Newscience like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do some people really use this device when they fly and how does the passenger react when he / she sees that other seats might recline but not his / her own? :oops:

WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    At 6'5". I am acutely aware of personal space when I'm crammed into coach airline seating! If someone used this device to keep me from reclining my seat (especially when the person in front of me reclines their seat all the way back), I would almost certainly figure out what had happened, and would do something about it. Likely the best way to handle this situation would be by speaking with a FA. And I'd be willing to bet that would take care of the "problem"! ;)

This (somewhat) reminds me of when the idiot in the coach seat in back of mine (on a long-haul flight) decided to remove his shoes and place his feet on my armrests! :mad:

WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen these for years and keep thinking I should buy them. Recently I read some odd place that this is against airline rules and you will get in trouble.

uggboy, Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct I read that its been banned by some airlines which is not at all surprising. If only from practical sense do you really want customers bringing equipment into your workplace and "adjusting" your equipment?
    What's next a locking barrier preventing window pax from crossing "your" space to get to the bathroom?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    uggboy, blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  9. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible there are some seats that do not recline? I believe I was on a Delta RJ this week and for the life of me I could not find a button to recline the seat.

uggboy, Max M and Newscience like this.
  10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think on some aircraft the button to recline your seat is on the underside of the armrest, rather on the side of the armrest as usual, thus making the underside one less visible and not easy to find if you don't know where to look.

Of course if you were in a seat row directly in front of the exit row, there would be little if any recline in those seats, even if you found the button.

If I found those "Knee Defenders" jammed into the back of my seat to keep me from reclining if I want to, there wouldn't be much time before I'd see them removed, particularly if I'd paid for a seat that is in a row that can be reclined when needed. I follow the common sense rules and recline my seat slowly, and always have it in the upright position for takeoffs, landings, and during meal service, but woe be it if someone decides to limit my seat movement with one of those devices, or even his words!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    uggboy, Newscience and FetePerfection like this.
  11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that AA and DL have both outlawed these devices as they could prevent egress from seats if there is an emergency. Until they put them on all seats and make all that cannot recline, we will suffer from the "slam the seat back" people.

I was on B6 and stuck in the seat in front of the exit row (AAirrops). They do not recline UNTIL 10K altitude then the FA's can release them.

uggboy, WilliamQ and blackjack-21 like this.
  12. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But what happens if there's an emergency after the seats have been released to recline by the FA's? Do they then have time to reset those seats to not recline if needed? First time I've ever heard of the row in front of exit rows having adjustable reclines as I thought these were always preset to either very little or no recline at all. Reclining the seats in front of the exit row impedes the possibility of a fast egress from the aircraft in an emergency.

13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good point.
    I wish the seats would just not recline at all or have a more limited recline. I know some of the budget airlines are starting to do away with it. I'm sure it cost more money. Maybe they could start charging to recline. That way all those folks that also shlep all the luggage onboard with them won't recline to save a buck. Maybe it could be a coin slot design like the old black and white tv's that motel 6 used to have :)

timfrost, uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised me too. But it was on B6 and they did recline.
    I actually found out about it from the FA. She asked how we were doing. I replied, "The best that can be expected since the seats don't recline". She then told me about the 10K release, and they actually did recline after the "ding" from 10K. Of course, they locked them again when they announced the landing was coming up. And since they didn't unlock them until 10K, there was not any reason for evacuation at that point since evacuating at 10K or higher altitude would probably not be survivable anyway.

Seemed like a decent thing though. Since the Exits have additional space, we were not really crowding them.

uggboy likes this.
  15. seeword

seeword Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rather than trying to stop the person in front from reclining, we should instead send our concerns to the airlines. In my opinion, they are let off pretty easy in terms of packing us in like sardines on planes. There should be a regulation as to the minimum space allocated for passengers. People are getting taller (& wider) while the seats are being squished closer together.

Travelsavant, uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are a terrible person for considering these.

17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    They call the FA over and gets miles for the inconvenience :)

Travelsavant, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think the weight of the body against a reclining seat might snap either the device or the meal tray.
    While I sympathise and agree that if front seats are reclined suddenly and without warning, the passenger at the back might be in for a shock, suffering or some damaged equipment but that does not give them rights to restrict the front passenger from getting comfortable.
    Technically, there is also no need for front seats to be upright. IIRC, had managed to take my meals while the passenger in front slept through the meal service on a reclined chair but I also had a fellow passenger at the back requesting me to move my seat up as well.
    What is needed here is some mutual respect and understanding e.g. warn before reclining.
    Honestly, before all these blogs and forums, I never thought the back passenger might be in distress as I never had a front passenger enquire about my status and am I using a laptop etc. People just did not know and once they do, I (like to) think they will make the effort to respect the fellow passenger behind.

This is cruel and unusual torture and I will likely speak to the FA about this more than a "jammed" reclined seat. I will likely turn around first though and ask if he / she mind not doing that.

19. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In 1971, on a brand new Air Lingus B747 from JFK-DUB, my wife and I were subjected to a jerk behind us sticking his stockinged feet between us through the armrest spaces. A call to the FA got no response or feet removal from the pimplewit behind, but my very sudden upward lifting of the armrest hopefully crushed some of his toes, and removed them from our sight for the rest of the flight. Since that flight whenever we discuss it, my wife and I *fondly* call that flight our Air Fungus trip.

20. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you took my comment too seriously. Didn't mean to offend but I have had some terrible issues with people reclining into my lap, dinner and computer over the years. It's makes you think about a lot of things :)

LETTERBOY, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  21. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, so you crippled someone, and still laugh about it?

blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)

blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.
  23. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! If all airline passengers had just a small amount of mutual respect, so many issues would simply go away, as would many Milepoint (and TOBB) postings!

[QUOTE="This is cruel and unusual torture and I will likely speak to the FA about this more than a "jammed" reclined seat. I will likely turn around first though and ask if he / she mind not doing that.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and that worked handsomely! However, I did make it clear that my "request" to that passenger remove his stinking stocking feet was not simply a courtesy call. It worked. Locating the FA was to be my step #2.

uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  24. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, hope so, since the jerk couldn't be bothered listening to the FA or us asking for him to remove his smelly feet from our noses. Would you have enjoyed sitting with two stinking feet beside you for almost seven hours while trapped in a full aircraft's seats with no other seats to move to, and having to eat our dinners with those same two feet stinking up the air while we did so? Somehow I think not, and my abrupt lifting of the armrest got the needed results, with only a groan from the turkey sitting behind us.

Sorry, I didn't notice his newly crippled condition that you alluded to as we exited the aircraft, nor did he thank me in any way for helping him to understand that there are people in this world who don't and won't put up with his stupid, inconsiderate, and not giving a sh!t attitude which led to his toes probably tingling a bit for the rest of the flight. And I gave him the chance to say something to me as we got up to leave our seats after landing because I turned to look at him, but he remained strangely silent.

Or would you have us just smile and hold our noses for the majority of our flight and do nothing, even after the FA (actually that far back she would have still been called a "stewardess", but that may be before your time) also asked him to put his feet down, to no avail.

Under the same exact circumstances, and with no result after the flightcrew also tried and failed, I would do the same again, but I'll definately keep your comments in mind.....afterwards.

Counsellor, seeword and Newscience like this.
  25. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the plane is above 10,000 feet, there will be plenty of time to un-recline the seats (and say a few prayers) before it gets down to the ground in a controlled manner.

blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.