Legal way to trade points?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Jan 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for 90,000 SPG and was wondering if there is anyway to trade someone other points...I pretty much have every point besides SPG.

Thanks

satman40 and uggboy like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not likely without violating the rules of the programs involved. And definitely not at a decent valuation.

3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In some cases you can transfer through another medium, but as @Wandering Aramean said, typically it's at a pretty big devaluation. I had a shade over 20k in VS points that I'd never use since I haven't flown them in years. I was buying flowers on FTD once a year and crediting to VS to keep the account active, and at the end of the day it wasn't worth it. Pulled them to Hilton (with a bonus promo), and from there you've got some different options. IME, airline-hotel transfers are usually horrible rates like a 1:5 or even worse, but if it's an account that you just want to clean out and close at least you're getting something.

satman40 and uggboy like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marry someone with 90k starpoints.

Flyer1976, Slow_Mustang and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D:D:D:oops::D:D:D

satman40, Flyer1976 and Dublin_rfk like this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or just cohabitate for a month (and let starwood know in advance).

satman40, Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gentlemen's agreemen, some what as iffy as marriage.

satman40, Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  8. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't two people hypothetically gift each other miles/points from different programs?

I gift X 30k DL miles and X gifts me 30K HH points. Certainly there is the cost of the transfer but it could be done with the transfer rate being mutually agreed upon.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's bartering and prohibited by most program rules.

10. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a us airways flight and they were pitching their card, in the broadcast they said the miles are "transferable" so I'd say that is the same thing being mentioned here..?

satman40 likes this.
  11. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could see the guy with the 30k delta miles book you a desired flight in your name right then and there while you book a hotel with 30k Hilton honors points for the other guy in his name... Done deal? But then there's dishonest /shady people that could cancel the reservations on one side and leave the other guy hanging

Obviously 30k miles on delta could be well worth $850 vs 30k hilton points that idk the value on (I'm guessing it might get you 2 nights in a hotel?) at $350 so the guy getting the delta miles is potentially getting a way better deal

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    satman40 likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    satman40 likes this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Transferring does not imply that there was (or was not) any bartering involved. I've transferred miles to e.g. family, booked awards from my accounts for them, etc. as freely given gifts (perfectly legal and normal). I have not and have no intention to barter or trade miles/points.

satman40 and jackplum like this.
  14. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly my point. DL, a few years back, had very lucrative transfer bonuses (up to 100%) that they promoted heavily.

In my example above, the use of 30k miles/points was merely illustrative and not representative of real comparative value.

By going through the company's own program for transferring/gifting, I think you are on safer ground. Identifying that I transferred Y program points to X and X, in turn, transferred Z program miles to me would be almost impossible to accomplish. Certainly a repetitive transfer to the same person might raise a question but even that is not assured. I have transferred many miles to others to get them over the hump for a particular award as well as outright purchase.

Seth, I understand where you are coming from but I don't think this really rises to the concept of bartering. I think of bartering as exchange of something in consideration receiving some other goods. By going through a program's own transfer mechanism, I am legally doing so. I am not giving you 10k miles or buying you an award ticket for a loaf of bread. Of course, since the various programs refer to the miles/points as theirs, I suspect that a frequent transfer to the same individual might warrant investigation.

satman40 likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can transfer you something because I'm giving it to you or I can transfer you something because I've received consideration of some sort for that transfer. It is not the act of transferring the points which makes it a problem; it is that you've negotiated to receive something in return.

Also, the fees for making such transfers go back to my point about it being a horrible valuation.

You can do it and almost certainly not get caught unless you're something of a moron in how you perform the transaction. But that doesn't mean it is compliant with the program rules.

16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sold WN miles on EBay a few years ago, got caught...

They told me not to do it anymore, I quit, no problem.

Sold them for quite a while, and then. One day it was over...

I still give a lot of miles away to the wife's family,

I get nothing in return....

17. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely agree on the valuation.

The 100% bonus DL offered a few years back was the only time it was worth it. My other transfers to the daughters were out of necessity.

Instead of "Dad, can I have the car keys?" it has become "Dad, can I have some miles?"

LauraPDX likes this.