Learning the new website: How to find upgrade inventory

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Mar 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are four different types of upgrade space available in the new United:
    • CPU/Miles/Instrument Coach->Biz (R/RN)
    • Top Elite B/M->One cabin higher (PN)
    • All Elite Y->One cabin higher (JN)
    • Miles/Instrument Biz->First (ON)
    While that's a lot to go searching for, the good news is that it can all be found on the same single search results page, and there are no special custom profile settings or parameters that you need to set, though there is one which can help, detailed at the end of this post.

So, here's the drill, and it really is quite simple.

• Do a normal revenue search for the flight you're interested in. One way or round trip doesn't matter. You just need a REVENUE fare search page that shows the results for the flight/date you are interested in.
    • On the results page look in the right-most column. The third row should say something like "Fare Class: United Economy (W)" on it. Note that the words Fare Class are a hyperlink.
      [​IMG]
    • Click that link and you will see all the inventory buckets for the flight:
      [​IMG]

That's all there is to it. Piece of cake.

If you want to get a bit more fancy and make it even easier - AND if you have a browser which supports GreaseMonkey scripts - I've created a script which causes the inventory to always be displayed for all flights and which highlights the award buckets. The downside is that there is no "X" button to close it and it obscures some other information, but I like the inventory info more so that's how I roll. For more information on that script check out my post here. Version 6.1 of the script is the first to support the new United.com and PSS site in it; older versions need to be upgraded.

This is what the page looks like with the script enabled:
    [​IMG]

Note the red/green coloring of the award buckets.

miketown, LauraPDX, xopping and 24 others like this.
  2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    To close an individual box, just hit 'fare class' again.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's pretty awesome. A lot less separate trips to Expert Flyer. Thanks, Seth.

4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just hope they restore this "Fare Class" pop-up window after you buy the itinerary like CO's website did.

Ygor and Quasiconvexity like this.
  5. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks WA!

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't have much experience with the CO site. What are you referring to?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The same "Fare Class" link used to work when reviewing an existing reservation, just like it now works on the flight search page. It was always flaky for me, but it was there before and it is not now.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, I could definitely see that being helpful. That doesn't sound like a feature they would remove, so I assume it's just temporarily absent during conversion.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. hooterbif

hooterbif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another tip:

I think that you need to enter these fare classes when searching for SWU-upgradeable fares:
    M, E, U, H, Q, V, W

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You only need to limit the fare buckets if you are looking to also book at that time and want to know what the fare is. Otherwise it should show all the buckets all the time.

11. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great guide.

I would add that people should search one (1) flight at a time. I just searched a connection, and limited availability on the second flight really brought down the displayed upgrade seats on the first flight, and upgrades are done on a flight-by-flight basis.

Searching the flight independently gives the accurate data.

12. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! This is a great guide as we learn to navigate the "new" system.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. javman08

javman08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome, Thanks for the help

14. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if you are 1K, and I want to use a GPU, and I buy W class...I need to look for RN? or R?

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    RN is what you're going for. It is - at least in theory - always greater than or equal to R.

Jslo and Scottrick like this.
  16. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seth, thanks again for providing a helpful guide and some tools. It will certainly come in handy with some of my searches.

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm looking at some DEN-IAD flights for later in the month. The fares are all M-class, and higher than I normally pay if I buy two weeks out. Most of them have a yellow "U" in a square, and the language "Premier 1K Instant Upgrade Fare" listed beside them. I thought it was only the Y and B fares that were instant upgrade, but I have virtually no experience with how Continental displayed/upgraded such things.

18. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    M is also an Instant Upgrade if you are a 1K. I have an ORD-SEA trip next week where the cost to get into M from the cheapest fare available was $40, so I took it. I seemed worth it, as the CPU process does not yet seem to be fully understood.

19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's really good to know. Thanks!

20. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hate to sound dense, but what is the fare bucket for UDUs?

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    R, same as for instruments. I added that explicitly to the original post, too.

22. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please pardon my ignorance, but does the number next to each letter signify the number of seats available in each fare class? In other words, I am trying to use a RPU for a long flight and when I do the search the way the you outlined I and see the R and RN fare classes there is a ZERO next to each. Before I book those flights I wanted to make sure that I can confirm using the RPU. If not, I will look at other flights...thanks for your help!!

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's what the number means. If you see R0 that means you cannot confirm an upgrade immediately. You can waitlist if you want or search out other flights which do have R inventory available.

beach1103 likes this.
  24. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well...maybe (sorry to be pedantic). If you're searching a connecting itinerary, then there's a chance that R is greater than 0 on one or more legs, but 0 on one leg, which makes the website return R0 for all legs of that direction of travel. If you really want to be sure, check each segment individually. It's possible that you might have R > 0 on a transcon but R0 on a short flight that you don't care as much about clearing at booking.

25. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thank you both for your quick reply....I was looking at flights with connections and it come up with a ZERO next to each of the flights. When I looked at the transcon flight alone it still came back with ZERO. I would want to confirm the upgrade so I will take the time to look at some other flights with availabilty to comfirm immediatly. Thank you for the great information...I only wish they would make it easier to search for upgrade availability!