Learning from mistakes thread

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by sharris503, Jan 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made a bone head mistake this morning that I thought I would share. It then occurred to me that a helpful thread in the newbie section could be a mistake thread where people can post there bone head moves so we can all learn from our mistakes. Here's mine:

This morning I did my January churn. I usually keep things small and applied for three cards. Amex SPG and I tried to double dip the Citi Hilton Signature card 50k bonus. I was instantly approved for Amex and got pending approval on the Citi HH cards.

I called the Citi Application Status line (that was my bone head move) and got the first card approved no problem. I hung up and called again, gave the rep my reference number for the second card and she couldn't find it. She asked for my SSN, she put me on hold, then came back and asked me if I made two apps. I said yes, one was for personal one was for business because you don't have a hilton business card. She told me she couldn't approve me for a second hilton card. She then canceled my application (unbeknownst to me). I thought no problem I'll call the reconsideration line. Called reconsideration line they found my 2nd app with the app number and then (read the notes I'm sure) and asked about two apps. Explained it again and she said shouldn't be a problem (sweet!) She put me on hold and came back and said, oh my bad, looks like I can't approve you for two hilton cards, sorry.

I should have called the recon line first, and I know better. I'm not sure why I called app status except for a brain fart I guess. Recon probably would have been able to find my app in the first place with app number and I would not have had to answer questions about both apps and bring attention to it. Oh well, at least I got one HH card.

jbcarioca, AUSsie and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second your idea for a mistakes thread, though NOT in the newbie section. You don't sound like one. :)

jbcarioca and sharris503 like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not much of a mistake, and definitely not a newbie mistake.

jbcarioca and sharris503 like this.
  4. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I put it in this section because I thought it would be most helpful to newbies.

merice107, 8MiHi, Counsellor and 2 others like this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I will add one item for people to watch out for. I sent a SM to AMEX to cancel a credit card. Received confirmation that it had been canceled. However, it appears that their "cancellation" also allowed automatic payments to continue for 60 days. So the "REAL" cancellation date was 60 days later than the date I requested the cancellation. This caused a problem because when I reapplied for a "replacement" card (75K MR point bonus), the AMEX database showed the cancellation 60 days later than my records. Bottom line - no 75K bonus because I had "had" the card within the last 12 months.

Key is to call AMEX to cancel so that you can refuse the 60 day "continuation" of automatic payments.

kenbo, Mikus33, 8MiHi and 4 others like this.
  6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread is a great idea. I just hope that true newbies aren't blown away by mistakes that oldies make. :)

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You want mistakes? I have a doozie. Last year I was working towards my $3,000 spend on a Chase Sap card. When the points didn't post, I called. Seems I came up short?? How? When I'm working a card towards my spend goal, I always have it in the first position in my wallet. Somehow I switched the card with another. :mad:

This error cost me 50,000 Chase points. What makes this really bad... I'm an old timer and this was a stupid mistake.
    It's been a year and I'm still steamed.

kenbo, rodeojones, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  8. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    My newbie mistake happened last year with the Freedom card while Restaurants were the 5% category. I had just had them upgrade my unused Slate card and I must not have known about the $1,500 cap on category spending for the quarte. I blew through that amount, spending more than the cap in one transaction for our wedding reception dinner.

I left a few points on the table that could have been put on the Sapphire but learned a good lesson about awareness of program rules and the need to track spending, be it for hitting a sign up bonus or maxing out bonus categories.

malikguy and jbcarioca like this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That one even had my stomach doing flip-flops. :(

rodeojones and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good idea, I agree. I nope it helps real newbies even though all of us who are posting thus far seem anything but...

My most recent idiocy. 120,794 Avios have been mouldering in my account for three years, since I was commuting to the UK so made BA Gold and made a stupid decision to accumulate what now are Avios. When BA downguaged my home city from a B744 with F to a B777 with only the disgusting CW I stopped flying them.

Here comes the really stupid part. I let those Avios expire unused.:eek:

11. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sympathies. I had something similar with a recent US Airways promotion (Spend 1250 in each of three months to get 15K bonus miles). Because my statement dates are asynchronous with calendar months, I didnt notice that I was $1.75 short in the first month, but over $1250 in each of the other two months. I didnt figure this out until I sent a few SMs to Barclays asking about the bonus and a CSR finally pointed out that I hadnt met the spend requirement. Kicking myself for that one still.

12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those promos are calendar months of spending right, not statement spending? I just completed my 15k point bonus of spending in December, and am wondering if I botched it somehow, since the points hadn't posted yet.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's by calendar month, not statement cycle. And it took six weeks for me to get the points (just last week for the Sept/Oct/Nov spend).

servo and jbcarioca like this.
  14. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that. Sounds like I'm a month away still.

15. oldflyer

oldflyer Silver Member

Status Points:

16. oldflyer

oldflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Re Citi Hilton, I did the same thing last week, except when I was approved on the phone I told the rep that I also had submitted a second application for the same reason you gave (separate personal and business). She said she understood and I gave her the second app reference number. After a few minutes on hold she said I was approved for the second card too. I am guessing you had a problem because you didn't handle both at the same time and it may have looked better when I discussed them together. Just a suggestion since it worked for me.

17. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How bizarre, they flat out told me they couldn't approve it because I was already approved for the first card. I wonder if they have to approve them at the same time to make them work? Oh well. I'll try again in 18 months!

18. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess if the buzz on the interweb is to be believed maybe I did not make such an bone head mistake, looks like 2 browser trick may be drying up or at least harder to come by if you are not instantly approved.

19. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my contribution to this thread:

I booked 2 nights at the Hilton Financial District, which is known for its amazing views. My wife & I were visiting SF to celebrate her birthday. Therefore, I really wanted to get upgraded to a room with a view. I signed up for a paid e-upgrade. My understanding is that the paid e-upgrade would only be accepted by Hilton IF there were no free upgrades available. WRONG!

Selecting a paid e-upgrade made me ineligible to to participate in the e-checkin. I've read where some people were successful at getting free upgrades through e-checkin. Thus, I robbed myself of a possible free upgrade opportunity.

When I checked in at the Hilton I was advised that I had received a free upgrade. The Hilton employee explained that the Hilton Financial District always upgrades Gold status HH members when better rooms are available. I asked him to confirm that it was a free upgrade and not the paid upgrade I signed up for. He said it was free.

That same evening, I checked my HH account. My HH account showed that I paid for the upgrade. I went back and talked to the Hilton employee who checked me in and he apologized for being wrong. Thankfully, he adjusted my bill and I did not have to pay for the upgrade. Even though this story has a happy ending, I certainly learned my lesson.

sharris503 likes this.
  20. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, the one that is hurting me right now is finding out that reason I did NOT get my 15,000 Hawaian Airline miles was because I included the annual fee in the $1,000 spend needed. So I missed out on 15,000 HA miles by $43. Achk! And with a $79 annual fee. :eek:

21. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, No, I am going to top myself here. I just talked to Citi Hilton Reserve Visa Signature. I was to get 2 free weekend nights for a $2500 spend in four months. I fell short by $197, so I must have returned something and not thought of it.

Weep, and learn from my mistakes, children. My plans were for Paris, one of the poshest properties we would have ever stayed in.

jbcarioca likes this.