Leading Hotels of the World-Leaders Club loyalty program 2011 changes

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by RicGarrido, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    LHW Leaders Club Rewards new loyalty program benefits

The Leading Hotels of the World (LHW) is a collection of more than 430 luxury hotels in 80 countries. Leaders Club Rewards has revamped its loyalty program for 2011 with some new benefits for its two paid membership program levels.

Leaders Club Rewards Membership Levels
    · Access = $100/year (April 2010 was $300)
    · Unlimited = $1,200/year (April 2010 was $2,000)

Leaders Club Rewards Access Benefits = $100/year.
    · A one-category room upgrade (subject to availability)
    · The opportunity to earn complimentary nights at any Leading Hotel (5 stays = 1 free night)
    · Complimentary continental breakfast for two (daily) [NEW benefit]
    · Free Internet access (where available) [NEW benefit]
    · Special rate privileges available only to Leaders Club members
    · A unique welcome gift at each Leading Hotel
    · Early check-in/late check-out considerations (subject to availability)
    · Invitations to local Leaders Club events

Leaders Club Rewards Unlimited Benefits = $1,200/year.
    · Guaranteed room upgrade at time of booking.
    · Priority Pass membership for access to over 600 VIP airport lounges. (NEW)
    · Global concierge service.
    One 2-night stay at any LHW property will likely have a full rebate in value-added benefits for the $100 annual Access membership fee with the benefits of free breakfast and internet. This is basically a $50+ daily benefit at most LHW hotels. Another difference in 2011 is the free night earned after 5 LHW stays in a calendar year with stays in at least two different member hotels. This benefit is now only offered with a paid Leaders Club membership.

Free Night Certificate

Earning a free night:

· Free night certificate is earned for every 5 LHW stays,
    · Must include at least two different LHW hotels.
    · Reservations must be made through LHW sites at publicly available rates.

Redeeming a free night:

· Free night certificate is valid for one year.
    · Free night certificate is valid for any LHW property.
    · Only one certificate may be redeemed per stay.
    · Free night certificate must be redeemed by Leaders Club member and is not transferrable.

These are straightforward rules with the primary downside being the restriction of just one free night certificate allowed per hotel stay. So either you have a free one night stay or you pay for additional nights.

The one free night restriction is not too member friendly. I hope LHW revisits this policy in 2011 and relaxes the rules a bit.

Spending $1,200 for Leaders Club Unlimited membership is a hefty price to pay unless you are planning many nights at LHW properties.

Priority Pass membership is a $100 to $400 value depending on what level of membership is provided and the LHW website does not state.

Confirmed upgrades at time of booking are a valuable benefit, but whether there is an additional $1,100 value premium over the Access level will depend entirely on your hotel stay pattern. Virtuoso is reported to have similar benefits available for many LHW properties.

2. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually quite positive about these changes (the fact I've been comped Access for a year might help, of course!).

$100 is a small price to pay given the cost of breakfast at the calibre of hotel in LHW, as indeed is internet access. I'm not too happy with the rules attached to the free night certificate (ie only 1 used per stay) which I think is petty, but personally it won't affect me as I'll never do 10 stays a year anyway.

The best LHW benefit is actually unpublicised. The hotels do a large number of roadshows throughout the year, taking over impressive venues (or using a member hotel) and throwing a reception with lots of champagne, canapes and usually a prize draw and a take-home goodie bag. There were 2 in London last year, one focussed on resorts, one on city hotels, and they were excellent nights out. And the best bit is they were totally free!

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am in the same boat as you Raffles. I think the changes are positive. At certain LHW hotels, I have paid ~30 EUR per night only for Internet access, so a three night stay more than pays for this whole program.

I do agree regarding the free night certificate- I only managed to get one last year, but it is because I tend to have a longer number of nights, not stays (my average length of stay was 4 nights at LHW properties)- but anyway, free is free!

4. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

WearyBizTrvlr Active Member

Status Points:
    This is an onerous requirement as it precludes any benefits for bookings made through our corporate travel agent for business trips. I'm still considering signing up for my private trips though.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hang on- check with LHW and/or the hotel- if you are booking through the GDS on the LH code- then everything will work just fine.

6. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to check to see how they book it, but at some hotels at least we get non-public corporate rates, so those would be excluded from eligibility.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are booking direct with the hotel and bypassing LHW I would say yes- otherwise you may be OK. Do you get other LC benefits when staying at the hotels?

8. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Occasionally. The inconsistency in providing LC benefits was the main reason for my not using LC/LHW much, and generally I couldn't be bothered to chase the hotels. I never signed up for the paid membership, but at $100 a year now with the new benefits it may be worth it.

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just the Internet alone will pay for itself in 3 nights at many a LHW hotel.

Breakfast also is GREAT if they actually enforce it.

10. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. The issue is whether I'll want to spend that many nights a year at LHW properties now that many of the larger chains (such as FS) no longer participate. I'm inclined to join but I'll wait till my travel plans firm up in the coming months (and I see the specifics of the travel policy at my new employer).

11. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is from the LHW "Answers to Common Questions" page:

How do I make a Leaders Club reservation?

To ensure each hotel is aware of your status and that your stay qualifies for Leaders Club Rewards, your reservations must be made through one of The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd. booking channels. These channels include:
    • Our Worldwide Reservations and Service Centers. You can call 1-800-650-2582 (CLUB ) or your local reservations office as listed on www.lhw.com/contactus.aspx.
    • Our website www.lhw.com.
    • Your travel agent. When booking through your travel agent, please ensure that your Leaders Club number is provided at the time of booking.