Le Westin Montreal

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by ChicagoEric, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from a one night stay at the Westin in Montreal. Have stayed at the W previously but thought I would try the Westin.
    Couple observations:

• Oddly as a plat I had been pre-blocked (‘we have upgraded you’) into a deluxe room. When I asked if any suites were available, the response literally was ‘Oh, you prefer a suite?’ – It took her perhaps 90 seconds to find me a suite and I was on my way. Strange reaction.
    • Platinums get free breakfast. They have a buffet which didn’t look too appetizing to me. I ordered off the menu and was presented with a ~$30 check at the end of the meal. I signed it, assuming only the buffet was free, but the charge was removed at checkout.
    • Room was fine. Standard suite with a sitting room with flatscreen, rather small bathroom and separate bedroom. Eh. Felt – like the whole hotel – institutional.
    • Atm on premesis appears to charge worse-than-market exchange rates in addition to a $3 fee. Strange. I will check into this, but odd that there would be a difference in the rate.
    • Hotel feels fairly new, but generically ‘Westin.’ If you like the look, you’ll be pleased. The chandelier that looks like shredded tinfoil hanging in the lobby is the extent of character in the hotel.
    • Bar was dead at 9PM on a school night. There is a happy hour at the bar from 5-7pm and they gave me a coupon for a free drink or appetizer but I never made it there to check it out.
    • Club room on the 22nd floor is strange. Totally empty, except for two stocked mini-fridges. Free water and soft drinks. Seemed to be open pretty much any time.

I think I’m back at the W next time. Too bad ‘Le St. Regis’ isn’t a hotel.

2. airoli
    Original Member

airoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this review. I've stayed there before as a Plat but have never received anything better than a corner room. But I've also never asked for a suite - will do that next time.