Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Mar 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here by myself on business in March 2012 for one night.

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I would probably give it five stars for the building/room/location, and three for the service/staff interactions.

Started off on the wrong foot as couldn't find the place! It's fairly well hidden at street level, especially on foot coming from East Nanjing Road (the pedestrian shopping street). Once I found it, the staff on the concierge desk seemed pretty disinterested and pointed me in the right direction after I asked about checking in.

The good:

-Great views
    -Modern and clean room: bathroom design a good blend of stylish and user-friendly
    -Lots of complientary water
    -Welcome fruit plate and (very good) cookies
    -Lounge very good: great views of Pudong, comfortable and spacious, lots of food (breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening nibbles/drinks)
    -Location is great: right on East Nanjing pedestrian shopping street, and a short walk from the Bund
    -Very quiet room
    -Good plat recognition: access to lounge provides food/breakfast, etc. and choice of local amenity or 500 points :)

The bad:

-Hotel is hard to find from Nanjing East Road (hidden inside commercial building with few/small signs)
    -The staff, with a couple of notable exceptions, are not friendly or welcoming. Efficient but brusque to the point of rudeness, and on one occasion lack of English proficiency caused a problem
    -Was upgraded to a nice non-suite room but when I checked online the hotel was still offering suites and paid upgrades to suites. Checked with hotel and they claimed all the suites had been booked :confused:

Overall:

This is a great hotel that could fulfill its potential if the staff kicked things up a notch. I would consider staying here for the views and the great room, but based on my experience this time I would not expect five star service.

Would also be interested in whether the non-suite upgrade thing is systemic at this hotel.

uggboy likes this.
  2. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am kind of surprised by your comments about the staff at the LRM Shanghai. My daughter and I stayed here in Nov 2011 for two days and had the exact opposite experience with the staff. We never experienced anyone that seemed disinterested or spoke anything but clear English (albeit heavily accented). Everyone we encountered at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, and most went out of their way to assist us with everything, including buying a local sim card for my ATT phone so I could avoid paying the exorbitant fees they charge for international calling!

I think possibly your 1 night stay may not be representative of the hotel staff, or maybe my 2 night stay is not? However, I would definitely stay at this hotel again for all of the positive attributes you stated in your post!

uggboy and sendaiben like this.
  3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear that!

To be honest, my impression is only based on about five people (doormen, front desk, lounge attendants, service centre operator) and I did meet a couple of good/enthusiastic staff, so it is very possible that I was just unlucky. Like I said, I would definitely consider staying there again :)

uggboy likes this.