Le Parker Meridien NY - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by singtx, Jul 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. singtx
    Original Member

singtx Silver Member

Status Points:
    One night in NY to see a broadway show.

Recognized status and wife's bday upon check-in. Offered 500 points, internet, etc. Upgraded to Jr Suite. Dont care for the oversized key cards...

Pool and sun bathing options are nice. Gym is free and classes were offered for free.

Came back to room after waking around and chocolates, water, and strawberries were waiting for my wife.

I forgot the Addams Family tickets and requested Ticketmaster to e-mail them. Concierge asked me to e-mail her and she printed them, so this may be an option to anyone else who forgets their tickets. Sweet, as the computer in the lobby had a charge and $1 a printed page!?

Concierge also secured us a reservation for Normas as opentable had zero left for Sunday brunch. Amazing how many local and nonhotel people waiting for tables at Normas...good food and large portions.

Hotel is still being worked on.

No issues with AC in bedroom or living room.

TV is tube and zero HD channels but in a nice swivel round wall (between living room and bedroom).
    Curtains in living room are lacking and the sun from that room shines directly into the bedroom...sucked!

Went to Carnegie Diner and split a huge dish.

Great location and we will use this as a base when we need to be in Midtown.

ONE PIC

Kalboz likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check out Topaz next door to the hotel on the 56th street side. Great little Thai place. Nothing fancy, but really great food. The place has been consistently packed at lunch for over 20 years. Essentially the same staff the entire time. Open for dinner too.

One block south, on 55th, is Milos...a great seafood restaurant from a family with a lot of experience. Also 20 years old...and consistently crowded. You can walk through the lobby of 125 W 55th to go from 56th to 55th; Milos is just east of the door to the office building on the 55th street side.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, if you're going to do anything you'd like to keep 'private' while in your room, or if you wear less versus more when sleeping, draw the bloody shades!

One of the boards I'm on used to meet at 125 W 55th (the building across on 56th, with Starbucks and Air France at street level on 56th). More than once I've seen quite a few sets of ___ as people look out the window in the morning while sitting in my board meetings.

singtx likes this.
  4. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree - love the food and very reasonable for Midtown.

Kalboz and NYBanker like this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from the Parker Meridien. We've been there at least 6 times. This time, we had a two night award reservation for us and also for my son, his wife and two small kids.

The hotel graciously upgraded both of our rooms to Junior Suites. I was prepared to pay extra for that so we would have the luxury of room while they truly needed it. For me, the PM is a bargain - 12,000 points per night unless you really get lucky and can do C+P. Platinums are almost guaranteed the Junior Suite. Is the room luxurious - certainly not - altho space in NYC IS a luxury. The decor is tired, the bathroom just OK, the TVs old and dated. The Front Desk staff are not especially welcoming tho the doormen and valets are fine.

All that said, I love the location, the dependable upgrades and the reasonable cost. We just got back from the Park Hyatt in Paris and no one would confuse the two, but for what it sets out to be, the Parker Meridien is a very easy place for me to love and we look forward to returning often.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And of course there's Burger Joint in the lobby. Call down from your room, place your order, walk past the line up to the cash register to pick up your food.

dc_traveler likes this.
  7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've never eaten there because of being kosher, but I have to imagine that there were speakeasies that were easier to find! Amazing to me how this popular spot is hidden from view - if you didn't know it was there...

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    See more here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/us/new-york-crane-collapse/index.html