Le Meridien Munich

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Aug 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm staying here on a short (one day!) visit, so just a few thoughts/impressions :D

The good:
    Location literally opposite the main station is extremely convenient.
    Rooms are nice, spacious, classy.
    Free spa/health club.
    Reasonable rates.

The bad:
    Internet costs 20 euros :eek:

The excellent:
    I arrived on a flight from Singapore that got in at 5am. Feeling like death, I made my way to the hotel to ask when I'd be able to check in, and without missing a beat, the friendly guy on the desk said I'd be able to check in immediately (around 6:30am). Huge kudos to the hotel, being able to check in, shower, and sleep before heading out saved my day!

Basically, for the early checkin and the value for money, a big thumbs up for this hotel. Add in free internet and it would be pretty much perfect :p

uggboy and MSPeconomist like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know whether they have a lounge?

uggboy likes this.
  3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so, but not sure. Currently SPG zippo (doing Plat challenge), so not really relevant to a nobody like me ;)

Looking at the rooms available online, there doesn't seem to be a lounge...

uggboy likes this.
  4. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    No lounge. Internet is wired only in the room. If a plat, the wired low speed internet is free of course.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in a suite in that property as well as in a few rooms across the street at the Sofitel two trips to Munich ago. I much preferred the Sofitel for the quality of the rooms, though the concierge at the Meridien was nice enough to handle the situation when a colleague picked up the wrong jacket at dinner and brought it back to the hotel, complete with the actual owner's brand new passport in it. I also didn't have to break up any fights between our group and the staff at the Meridien like I did at the Sofitel, but we ended up with a comped bar tab and access to a pretty swanky club that night so it wasn't all bad.

Oh, and I wasn't actually a registered guest at either property when all this went down.

I should probably spend less time completely tanked when in Munich, huh?? :oops:

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bar fights in a French hotel in Germany? You lead an exciting life.:eek:

uggboy likes this.
  7. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, no bar fights for me either :D

Checked out this morning and again the desk agent was great. Will definitely be staying here again.

uggboy and MSPeconomist like this.
  8. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    LM Munich is my fave hotel in MUC. I would add one more bad though - breakfast costs about 25 Euros per pax. Fortunately it's a snap to cross the street to the Hauptbanhof where breakfast options are quite reasonable.

Another plus to the hotel is its close proximity to the old town. Walk out the front door, turn right and head straight down Bayerstrasse. 600m later you'll be at the start of the old town where you can enjoy the pedestrian malls and more importantly really good sausages, pretzels and beer. :)

uggboy likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this hotel in an older building and formerly operating as an independent and traditional German hotel? I think I might have stayed here before it was part of Starwood or a LM.

uggboy likes this.
  10. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently it used to be some kind of (old) government/state building.

It's very nice, with an inner courtyard garden :)

11. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The bar had a decent nightlife as I recall, but we'd just spent several hours at the beer halls and bars so I may be mistaken. They served coffee in the bar in the a.m., but we trekked to the train station across the street to get our cup o' joe.