Le Meridien Chiang Rai Thailand

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by TRAVELSIG, Apr 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently completed a stay at the Le Meridien Chiang Rai- a very beautiful resort located about 10 minutes from the airport, and 10/15 minutes from the centre of the city. The resort is built on an artificial lake which is overlooking the river. The effect of the design is very beautiful, as there is an infinity swimming pool, which overlooks the infinity lake, which then appears to disappear into the river.

I upgraded on arrival to a Grande Deluxe wing room- which is a good idea- the rooms are significantly larger, have the best views, have large balconies, and also include a number of benefits including:

1 free drink per person per day at Latitude 19 (the bar- which by the way also has excellent blended fruit juices)

Free Buffet breakfast- the breakfast here is very good by the way- particularly if you are able to sit on the little terrace overlooking the lake.

Free internet (wired and wireless).

The service at the hotel is wonderful- very attentive, with employees genuinely caring about guests, and not too obtrusive. F&B quality is high. Design is excellent (although some people might find it a bit spartan- I really like this look/feel which is quite modern without feeling too cold).

The hotel has a good location to go exploring the area- I particularly liked the Hall of Opium musuem which has a very good explanation of the history of opium- a very ambitious project and well done. To reach the "Golden Triangle", I used a driver from the nearby grocery store- go out of the resort, turn left, head down to the corner- and look for the picture and sign for "VIP VAN". Very little english is spoken, so bring a map or at least a guidebook to show where you want to go. The cost for the "VIP VAN" was 2000 BHT for 3 hours- it turned into 4 hours, for which I paid a total of 2400 BHT (the man didn't ask for anything more, however I thought he really deserved it- did a great job). You can also arrange transportation through the hotel, although the same type of trip will cost at least double- your call on if you want a "DIY" tour- in which case you really know what you want to do and see- or a fully guided tour- some people we met did take the fully guided tour and they said it was excellent.

I really can't say enough good things about this resort- it was well well above expectations and definitely one to return to-particularly the Grande Deluxe Wing which is much nicer than the rest of the hotel- while some people say that the Anantara at the Golden Triangle is better- consider it is 4 times the price- and the Four Seasons Tented village is at least 10 times the price- for example for a weekend the Four Seasons quoted the best available rate as 175 000 BHT total- which is a little bit more than 4000 EUR for a weekend.

Toula, stimpy, uggboy and 5 others like this.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We, too, had a nice 3-day stay here in March, 2011. One option for those who are thinking of fitting in trips to both Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, as we did, is to fly from BKK to Chiang Rai, rent a car (at the airport) that you would use to get to LM Chiang Rai, and then self-guide to the White Temple, Golden Triangle, Doi Tung, etc. Then, on your departure day, you drive yourself to Chiang Mai and either return at the airport, or arrange for downtown dropoff, as we did. Avis, for instance, allows dropoffs at the Royal Princess Hotel, which is right next door to LM Chiang Mai. We stayed 3 nights in Chiang Mai without the car. The rental from Friday midday to Monday midday, including the dropoff, was about $200-ish. Then, we flew back to BKK from Chiang Mai. Both one-way flights were on Air Asia, and were about $50-ish each, booked in advance.

stimpy, Toula, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    stimpy, Toula, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    An absolutely great resort. Couldn't believe it was included in my tour package. Too bad I didn't have enough time to lounge around. Definitely a strong consideration for anyone going to Chiang Rai... although my next trip back to Thailand will be to spend more time in and around Phuket.

Toula, stimpy, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I really enjoyed the property, one of my all-time favorites, and a steal as an SPG Category 2 property. Now, when I was there the GM was Anne Scott and she's a marvel, she's now trying to get the Andaman in Langkawi up to shape. And I was fortunate to be there when there were no more than 10 rooms occupied, the three-level infinity pool facing the river was more or less my private pool. And it was before even the Grande Deluxe rooms were open. Staff were outstanding, food was definitely above average and reasonable. All-around great, worthwhile stay. Would definitely return, though imagine it wouldn't be quite as magical as when it was deserted.

Toula, stimpy, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unlocking the secrets of Northern art
    [​IMG]

7. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an excellent week at this property back in January. We rented a car and drove up to the Burma border and walked in, then later drove to the Laos border. It was a great day trip. The white temple is pretty amazing too. One of the best bang for the buck Starwood properties in the world.

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This property is wide open on Starpicks for THB 2850++/night (around $110 all in) ... a hellava deal for Platinums! :)

TRAVELSIG likes this.