Le Meridien Chiang Mai - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Jslo, Apr 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chiang Mai is a great city to visit if you are in Thailand, and for overall value and location the LM Chiang Mai is a great choice.

The location is right at the night market/night bazaar. Walking distance to so many eating or shopping places. If you leave the hotel, and turn left, go through the little night market intersection, and keep walking straight about 150m. A little open air Thai restaurant called Lemongrass is quite nice. Doesn't open until 4PM. There is a very nice pool at the LM, and a really nice spa/workout center. Check in has never been anything but simple, easy. SPG points/amenity/bonus etc have always posted promptly and completely. One time I used the meeting service and held a couple board type meetings and the service for that wasn't super inexpensive, but it was worth every penny. They were on top of every detail.

The restaurants at the hotel are great/fine. It's just that there is is so much good and interesting food in Chiang Mai I would recommend getting out and sampling the many many wonderful spots de cuisine :)

The Platinum treatment is outstanding. I almost hesitate to jinx it, but I have never not been upgraded to a suite when I have stayed there. The Plat/Exec lounge on 21st floor is great. Cool views of the city. They put out a really nice breakfast, with eggs to order. The tea and cocktail hour are also well done. I prefer breakfast here to the lobby restaurant. The lobby is great, but the personalized attention of the 21st floor is tough to beat since the food selection is broad and really fine and nice for breakfast. I wish I had grabbed a pic up there, but I was too busy chillaxing/eating/drinking.

The suites are very spacious, the AC works great, and service is always ++. Once my kids stayed in a regular room, and I saw it. Very nice and clean. I have a bunch of photos, mostly of the suite which speak better than words. I do not think any SPG member would be disappointed in this place. I know one of the guest service relations staff, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to connect you to her. Her service and attention to detail are outstanding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My family and I stayed here a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. We got one corner suite and a couple adjacent regular rooms. Staff was polite, location fabulous, decor great. My one small complaint -- the food offerings in the Lounge -- not very inspiring or very good at all.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could see that being the case easily. I can say that my last stay there (3 weeks ago?) I thought the food choices were pretty good. I like fruit, bread/croissant, cheese, meat, eggs for breakfast with good coffee and the selection for those type of items was really nice. In fact it was home made bread I sliced and toasted fresh with euro butter and orange marmalade in those little glass individual jars.....yummmmm
    [​IMG]

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  4. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jslo,
    Thanks for the stay report! I stayed here a few years back and was very impressed by the hotel, everything from the Lobby, to the Exceutive Lounge and Rooms, to the Service was outstanding! I was impressed by the Lounge food myself (One of the days I believe I was the only guest or one of very few who was staying on the Excecutive Floor and instead of closing the Lounge they offered me anything from the Restaurant made to order). Looking at your pictures it looks like I had the Mirror image of your suite--when looking at the hotel front I was in one of the font left corner suites.

sdcarver

Kalboz and Jslo like this.
  5. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a two-night stay here in October 2014 on business. It was very close to flawless (with one important caveat).

I arrived late and was very quickly checked in. The hotel wasn't staffing their SPG member check-in line, but there wasn't much of a queue and I was served in a couple of minutes. The rest of the stay was fantastic. I'm a platinum member with SPG.

The good

Very nice upgrade to corner suite (the same room shown in photos above)
    Great location in Chiang Mai
    Really positive and friendly staff
    Fantastic lounge with high quality breakfast
    Decent fitness centre and very nice infinity rooftop pool

The bad

My room (like all the suites on the property) had a connecting door to the next room. As with many connecting doors, it was not up to any kind of sound insulating standard. The family next door tended to meet (at least five of them) in that room at 6am. Not their fault, as they were not being particularly noisy, but it felt like they were in my room for the whole day. This was literally the only thing that wasn't great about this trip, but it would have been a serious issue had I been travelling with my wife.

Overall

Great hotel, wonderful staff, excellent platinum treatment. I really recommend the hotel upgrade their connecting doors or block the adjoining rooms where possible. Other than that a real pleasure and I will definitely be staying here the next time I am in Chiang Mai.

9/10

Kalboz likes this.