Le Meridien Angkor (Siem Reap Cambodia) - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by peteropny, Oct 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We recently stayed at this property for 3 nights (2 rooms using the FRNs).

I rarely contact a property before a stay for room upgrades but since I had to contact the property to arrange for airport transfer and arrange for guid / car & driver for touring the area, I mentioned that if possible a Platinum upgrade to one of the Corner Suites and a connecting room would be ideal.

Upon arrival at the airport, we were greeted by hotel personnel and promptly guided to the Ford Escape used for the airport transfer. This was at a cost of $20 each way (from/to) the airport which is fairly expensive by local standards for the 20 min ride. Reports have the taxi cost at $10 but there are very few taxis waiting at the airport.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were guided to a seating area while the check-in was processed - a ginger drink was presented. We were assigned to 2007 (a corner suite) and 2008 (a connecting double room) as requested. There appears to be 4 corner suites on each floor (rooms are on floors 2 & 3 of the 3 story property). The corner suite had a 1/2 bath at the entrance which leads to the living room (sofa, two soft chairs, lamp tables, cocktail table, table which could be used as a dining table, two chairs, dry bar, and a TV cabinet with an older tube TV). The sliding door separated bedroom had a king bed, lounge chair and ottoman, two night stands, bench at the foot of the bed, and another TV cabinet with another tube TV. The bathroom area (with a "peek a boo" window with shutters to the bedroom) had a dressing area, closet, luggage stand, single sink vanity and separate tub and shower. The connecting double room had two beds and a daybed/couch (which left very little floor space in the room) - it should be noted that the "regular" room had a wall mounted flat screen TV. Bathroom setup is similar. The rooms were in good condition but the decor is not quite what we are used to here in the US - ie the floors were wood. It should be noted that wireless internet was a problem in 2007 (we were never able to connect to the "main" router for the room "7", occasionally we were able to connect via "14". I usually just went down to the lobby for internet connection. The code and password was rather complicated and needed to be entered every time we tried to connect to the internet.

Breakfast and non-alcoholic drinks in the bar (between 10am and 4 pm) is complimentary but not quite sure if its for Platinums or for all guests. It appears that the majority of hotel guests are "package tour" people that have breakfast included anyways. Breakfast is quite nice with a fairly extensive buffet with Western & Asian choices along with an egg / omelette station. We also were not feeling very adventurous so ate 3 dinners and 1 lunch at the hotel. First night was a dinner at the "specialty" Italian restaurant (which was actually a better deal since they were running a promotion which gave a bottle of wine with $40 spend along with a welcome drink (Campari & Soda on that day) along with an amuse bouche. However, we liked the menu in the Cafe better so ate there the rest of ths stay. The cost was a reasonable $20 per person per meal - very reasonable on US standards but outrageously expensive for local standards.

The concierge arranged guide / car & driver was very good - the guide was knowledgable and spoke English very well. We consider the cost to be a bargain ($30 / day for the guide and $30 / day for the car & driver along with a $15 surcharge the one day that we went to the distnat Bantay Srei temple). The only glitch was that after we confirmed the arrangement after check-in with the concierge with a start time, they called the room at 10 PM to check on start time and confirm the arrangements. While this is the only glitch, I had a feeling that the staff at the property are very nice but a bit disorganized.

On the property off to one side is the pool / spa area. The pool is quite large but the green tile color is rather unappealing. There is a small gym in the spa area. The property's architecture is rather uninspired - lots of concrete and big roof overhangs that make the interior relatively dark. There is no balconies off the rooms either.

RAPC, Toula, jswong and 5 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this now mean you like the hotel or not?

jswong and Kalboz like this.
  3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I thought the hotel was very nice especially for where it is. It's obviously not as "polished" as say the Sheraton Grand Sukumvit in Bangkok where we stayed just before and just after this property.

4. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sofitel Angkor seems like a better property, in which i had a great stay

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please write a review about your experiences at the Sofitel in the A-Club thread on MP and let us know what was so much better there against the LM!:)

6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did enjoy my stay there earlier this year. I did however move there from "the one hotel" which, if you're into personalized service can't be beat

Jeff

Kalboz likes this.