Le Merdien Returns to Los Angeles; Will Take Over the Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by uggboy, Jul 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Le Merdien Returns to Los Angeles; Will Take Over the Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica ||

Art and Creativity are at home again in Santa Monica. Fascinating news here. :)

tommy777 and canucklehead like this.
  2. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed here.

I think the property is fine as a Sheraton.

I'm no engineer, but to be re-branded, I think the rooms will need to be gutted and rebuilt to take advantage of the view.

Also there will need to be better connection to the restaurant from the lobby.

I do wonder if the lounge will remain?

canucklehead and uggboy like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. The former W now Le Meridien in Atlanta is one of my favorite places to stay in ATL now. I'm not in LA often, and when I am I usually need to stay near LAX, but this is a nice option.

canucklehead and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the renovations which will turn the Sheraton into a Le Meridien won't be structural, like gutting rooms for example, it will get more artier and individual, especially with the Le Meridien signature touches and art program the chain incorporates into their properties. I'm sure it will be a success on many points, Le Meridien is a strong brand and is now equally known and accepted in America, despite being a European brand.

KENNECTED likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Le Meridien hotels are usually fresh and different from what's on offer in a given local market IMHO, indeed, they're great hotels and can be counted by many even as favorite brand within the Starwood family of hotels.

6. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats what I'm afraid of. I saw the regular rooms and they were quite small. Even the room I was assigned was awkward. I haven't been to very many Le Meridiens, but I like the brand. I just wonder what they can do with the physical plant of this property to bring it up to Le Meridien brand standards?

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a big chance they will concentrate on the lobby areas for their "Le Meridien Hub" offering, new art, more creative food / drink outlets, plus I would guess regarding the rooms, they will have soft refurbishments / refreshments, incl. Le Meridien bedding, different color schemes, interesting soft furniture items, plus investing into art and exchanging their bath amenities too. That's my guess. Many Le Meridien hotels around the world have been newly refurbished in this way going from traditional to an exclusive and modern art concept without actually changing too much in a structural way, it's more about lifestyle, mood, services, there's the differentiation IMHO. By the way, many thanks for the video too, interesting to see, as the hotel was still the Sheraton.

KENNECTED likes this.
  8. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anytime. I love writing hotel reviews. Finding the time to write them is another thing.

I think people will be turned off by the price point, for such a small room. All the things that the Le Meridien will do will literately just be rebranding. As this was not the typical sheraton hotel. When it turned into a Sheraton it was done by Kelly Wearster. The recent redo was done by the woman who worked for Wearster.
    The Lobby, Bar/Lounge, common spaces do not fall in line with other Sheraton properties. The property "feels" more up market than normal Sheratons. In those areas I can see change as you describe above.

I think they'll need to do some physical changes to the property in order to compete with the upscale properties on Ocean Avenue - the Loews, JW Marriott, Shutters, Fairmont and Viceroy. - which are in a better location and have premium amenities. In addition, they are closer to the beach, the pier and promenade.

To me a "soft goods" rebrand won't help. Some demo and reconstruction will need to take place.

I wonder if they will do away with the free parking?

9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here a long time ago and think it was a Four Points back then. Agree with Kennected, I think it needs a major redo to rebrand as an LM.

KENNECTED likes this.
  10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have stayed there several times,and usually a good experience. Just my opinion, but the lobby areas have always seemed a bit dark,a and perhaps the rebrand will brighten these up a bit.