LC U S Grant, San Diego (California) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a historic hotel in downtown San Diego. As a SPG Plat, I was upgraded on a weekday afternoon (cheap rate) to a room I would describe as a minisuite. There was an entryway, a small living room with a loveseat, coffee table, and credenza. The bedroom (one king) has large windows with a nice view of a historic fountain and parts of the hotel building, which are lit up in color at night--beautiful! There was also a large desk. The bathroom was tiny but done in white marble, which was in excellent condition.

The hotel has a popular bar and restaurant. The staff seem good.

This is a stunning property with variable room sizes. You might want to consider reserving a higher category room.

ChicagoEric likes this.
  2. singtx
    Original Member

singtx Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stay here everytime in SD...no one comes close. The happy hour is great...and the only time we go to the hotel bar. The staff is outstanding. We go to the gym and grab a few waters after check-in (yes, im cheaping myself out)...I even had a staff member ask me if I needed help with my waters! Location is great...walk to everything you need. FD provided us with a great running route from the hotel. The pictures in the various floors and hallways are awesome...worth the time to explore. Turndown service is great - chocolates on the pillows, replenish waters, and place towels on the side of the bed.

The reason I love this place - I called down for a cab at 5AM...when we got down the cab wasnt there...they couldnt find one...one of the staff members ran down a few blocks to get a cabbie for us! Unreal service all around, almost everytime.

ChicagoEric likes this.
  3. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed here for my second time. After trying out the rest of the SPG properties in San Diego, I think I've settled on this one as where I will stay from now on.

Check-in was smooth and I was upgraded to a small suite (as plat). The hotel is old - and I would echo what has been said about variable room sizes. My room last time was very small and frankly I didn't love it. The suite this time was also small, but it was a true suite in that the sitting room was separate from the bedroom (could even close a door between the two). This one also had a recently re-done bathroom with a marble shower. Last time the bathroom was a weird spa-tub sort of thing with no separate shower. Much preferred this one.

Bathroom amenities are the remede brand used by LC and St. Regis - my wife likes them and tells me they are nice - seemed fine to me. I did like that they included a sewing kit, nail file and other amenities. I had use for the sewing kit, so much appreciated.

I think the key is to get a decent room. Last time around I just really didn't like the room. This time it was small but cozy suite that I actually liked quite a bit.

The rooms are decorated in a style that I would describe as something akin to the not-quite-as-stylish-as-either bastard child of SLS hotels and St. Regis hotels. Hotel feels fairly recently renovated even though it's been a couple years (I believe).

Had dinner at the bar - surprisingly good Caesar salad with huge grilled shrimp and surprisingly generous pour in a cocktail. Attractive wait staff. Not that I noticed.

Workout room is small and dark, but free water is a definite plus.

Finally, I'll echo what singtx said - the pictures hung in the lobby and particularly the lower level are really kind of cool - take a couple minutes to check them out.