LC Laguna Resort, Nua Dusa (Bali) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an older hotel on the beach in the guarded Nua Dusa resort development. It is next to the Westin, which seems more family oriented (for instance, slides in the swimming pool). Depending on traffic, the ride from the airport (DPS) takes about a half hour. The development is gates with gaurdposts where entering cars might be inspected; you will also find a walking guard or two on the property or by the beach. The hotel was renovated at some point, before becoming a LC hotel.

The hotel is Balinese in style with an open lobby, fish ponds, and beautiful tropical gardens. There is a large tiled heated pool with a unique spa area where water spouts out of pieces of sculpture. There is also a kiddie pool and large areas of "swimable lagoons, " older pools about one meter/3-4 feet deep that are flush against the building, allowing some guests to enter the lagoon from their balconies. Balinese style covered large sunbeds can be found near the beach and scattered throughout the property. There is a fee for use, IIRC US$25 per day, which seems to include fruit and water service.

There are several bars, an all day dining restaurant where the buffet breakfast is served, a fish restaurant by the beach (wonderful but not cheap), and a fine dining indoor Balinese/Indonesian restaurant which is frequently empty. Alcohol including wine (two labels produced locally) is expensive on the island; beer seems more reasonable.

As a Plat, I was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite. Unfortunately the room was *extremely* musty and I was forced to change rooms. The second suite was much better, but still somewhat musty. My clothes smelled very musty when I prepared to fly back to the US and I'm still trying to get rid of the oder after several cycles of laundry and dry cleaning. Portions of the carpeted hallways smell very musty too.

The suites have an entry with dining table, and then you go down several steps into the living room with standard simple modern furniture. The bedroom had a king bed and large desk. Both rooms had balcony access and flat-screen TVs with international cable channels. To go into the bathroom, from the bedroom one goes up several steps. The closet is in the bathroom. The bathroom has a large garden tub and separate shower stall. There is lots of light brown marble. Bathrobes and slippers are provided. However, unfortunately, the hotel's white towels were not only thin and cheap but also all gray and badly worn, which is not what I expect to find in a luxury hotel.

Service, including butler service, was relaxed and smiling, with good English overall. However, the service was not efficient (long wait for bellman upon departure, prearranged limo as part of package was late too) and even amateurish (concierge and front desk didn't have menus for hotel restaurants and said there were no beachfront tables, which was not true). Service in the fine dining restaurant struck me as too anxious and hovering.

From the hotel, you can take long walks along a sidewalk by the beach, crossing each hotel's real estate in turn. You can walk to a very nice small art museum focusing on the art of Bali and nearby areas) and (more ambitious in the climate) to a market area with local stalls and restaurants. There's an hourly shuttle to a modern shopping mall with lots of reasonable mid-level restaurants.

Beware of the ubiquitous stray dogs on Bail, which is experiencing a rabies epidemic with about two hundred human deaths. Other animals (monkeys, squirrels, and bats) are also potential rabies risks.

uggboy likes this.